New Firearm Owner: Which Two?

icedragonmx

Adventurer
The CZ455 is a fine rimefire! Well done on selecting that. A lightweight 2-7x33 scope would be great on top;) For a 20 GA a Rem 870 bought used from the days when they made them nicer would be the best bet. (save you some money too) A shorter barrel is a lot handier too in tight spaces. You can find 12"-14" Rem 870 12 GA models quite easily. They are still NR as long as the barrel was manufactured at that length. You can only cut a barrel down to 18". http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/ has a great selection of firearms for sale. Will need to apply for the EE - equipment exchange. Edit to add the 12 GA shorty link- https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-grizzly-mag-shotgun-12-5/ for fun in the gravel pits etc..

Arclight

SAR guy
I handload and shoot a lot of different calibers, and I would also recommend getting a 12GA instead of 20GA. You can buy plenty of 12GA ammo that is loaded to nearly identical specs as 20GA. (The 7/8oz and 1oz trap & skeet loads fit into this category). With 12GA, however, you also have the option of much heavier loads for geese and turkeys, as well as various types of slugs, larger buckshot, and even things like signal flares (must be fired from an open choke!) or beanbag rounds used for chasing off bears.

If you stick to one of the standard, reasonably-afforadable guns (Remington 870 or 1100, Mossberg 500), you can also swap out the barrels for different types of hunting/shooting. Most trap and skeet ranges won't let you shoot less than a 24" barrel, and slugs work best from a dedicated slug barrel if you're going to go deer hunting. You can also get shorter barrels for defense or use in heavy brush. The barrels are cheap, and you can often find various used barrels for sale in the Winter, after hunting season is over in most places.

You won't be able to swap barrels or use the full variety of shotgun loads if you go with a 20GA in a fixed config.

For the rest, I would also say you should just get a 22 rifle from any quality manufacturer. A lever gun with a peep sight is a lot of fun and has a neat, historical look. A bolt or semi-auto will also work just fine as well.

Arclight

762X39

Explorer
I hunt tons in Northern Ontario and when I am not using my 870 in 12 guage with a 14" barrel to hunt birds (your right, the bush is dense and tight) I like to use my wife's Winchester 1300 in 20 guage with a 28" barrel. It is awesome for birds and rabbits. For the rifle, you can''t go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. I have had the actions on all my firearms cleaned up by a very respected smithy at my club but the best thing to do is spend some time at the range with real shooters that can tutor you.:coffee:

Clymber

Adventurer
i would go with the 17 HMR, that thing is like a laser out to almost 200 yard. I have no clue what ammo cost in Canada but the 17 is more expensive in the states. Depending on what sort of game you are going forthe 17 has good stopping power, i have read that ppl take coyotes with them. For me I use it for ground hogs when i was on the east and not that im in CO im looking for some rancher that has a problem with prairie dogs

rgallant

Adventurer
Pretty Open ended but for the shotgun go 12 Ga as noted Rem 870 and Mossberg are good choices.
You can also go for a Dominion arms (Chinese 80 clone) they are pretty inexpensive.

Rifle is entirely up to what you are going after,but factor in ammo cost and how much you want to shoot.

A sporterized Lee Enfield is inexpensive to buy, but if you shoot it a lot it gets expensive.

The SKS is a good choice if you mostly plink, cheap to feed, very reliable, strips down almost a fast a bolt action. Takes about 15 20 minutes to clean.

If you are concerned about recoil find someone who actually knows how to shoot to teach you. Not one of your buddies, a 12 gauge is not that hard recoiling that it should be a concern unless you are very small framed

WininUtah

Adventurer
The CZ455 is a fine rimefire! Well done on selecting that. A lightweight 2-7x33 scope would be great on top;)

Here's my 452 American with the 2-7x33 Leupold, a real nice shooter.

medium800.jpg

rgallant

Adventurer
Any recommendation for the scope?

Oh man you are really opening a can of worms there, there will be guys telling you to spend a couple of grand and the $100 guys more money is a better scope but it will not make you a better shot.

Good example at 200M on my Lee Enfield I can get 5 rounds touching prone supported with a 150.00 NCstar scope (cheap). My eyes are old and I can not use irons effectively at that range, but the rifle is doing it's job and scope let's me see what I need to.

The guy beside could not manage more than 3 inches at 100m with a new savage in 308 with a $600.00 + scope. And he blamed everything except himself.

It comes down to what you are hunting and at what range. I prefer a 1-4 zoom, which is what I have on my SKS, but I don't hunt.

Learn how to shoot then worry about the scope, it really is only an aid.

Dake21

Adventurer
I'm a firm believer that anybody should start with iron sights. It's part of your fundamentals.

screwball48

Explorer
The rule of thumb is to spend as much on your scope as you did on the rifle. That being said anything from the entry lines of Leupold or Nikon will work for anything you could need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Leupold has a lifetime warranty. Even if you buy a used one, it is covered. A little pricey but well worth it. Clean bright image in a durable package. Cheaper scopes can have a nice image but break more easily. You'll have a really good scope long after you've forgotten how much you paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Squatchout

I think you were on the right track from the start. Shotgun and 22. Shotgun has been covered pretty well. But on the 22 I'm with the poster on page 1. Get a Henry lever action 22. They make several models from very light and short to fairly beefy with octagon barrels. But this one has your name on it. Small game carbine. Skinner peep sight is awesome. Large loop lever for gloved hands. Short and light. Henry customer service is 2nd to none.
http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-small-game-carbine-rifle/

Levers generally run cleaner than semi auto's as the breech doesn't open till after the fire is out. The receiver doesn't get dirty near as fast so most regular cleaning is just the bore. And Lever actions are just plain fun to shoot!!!! They also shoot shorts, longs, long rifle 22's. Not picky at all about power levels. Many semi autos can be quite picky about ammo. They also only shoot long rifle normally. A couple of years ago when 22 was in short supply and everyone was moaning. I was buying the shorts they couldn't shoot and and having a blast shooting them.

Nothing wrong with a Ruger 10/22 or other semi auto. They are great rifles. But for me I prefer the Henry lever actions. At distances less than 100 yds accuracy is minute of squirrels head. Maybe not up there with a real good bolt or semi auto in competition but plenty good enough for hunting small game and years of plinking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior