New Firearm Owner: Which Two?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Pellet Rifle
Savage Mark II
Remington 870 Express

You can get all three new for half of your $1500 budget.....take the rest and spend half on ammo/scopes and put the rest towards retiring earlier.

-Pellet rifle because ammo is still a pain to find and I bet there will be another crazed hoarding of ammo within a year.

-10/22 is a fun gun but I highly prefer a bolt action. They feed anything and the accu trigger on Savage is great. 22lr ammo is still quite difficult to find especially 50rd boxes in a bunch of variety to figure out what the gun likes best. I prefer something that will shoot anything pretty accurately and keep me from chewing through ammo like a semi auto. For the price I don't think there is a better 22. I have taken many rabbits and squirrels with this 22 subsonic ammo.

-870 express....fantastic shotgun, highly reliable, accurate, simple. I also prefer a pump, it's always made me hesitate that extra millisecond to place my follow up/2nd wing shot more accurately.

Sure fancier firearms exist but if you plan on using them in the field it hurts far less when they get banged up......and they will

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
Pellet Rifle
Savage Mark II
Remington 870 Express

You can get all three new for half of your $1500 budget.....take the rest and spend half on ammo/scopes and put the rest towards retiring earlier.

-Pellet rifle because ammo is still a pain to find and I bet there will be another crazed hoarding of ammo within a year.

-10/22 is a fun gun but I highly prefer a bolt action. They feed anything and the accu trigger on Savage is great. 22lr ammo is still quite difficult to find especially 50rd boxes in a bunch of variety to figure out what the gun likes best. I prefer something that will shoot anything pretty accurately and keep me from chewing through ammo like a semi auto. For the price I don't think there is a better 22. I have taken many rabbits and squirrels with this 22 subsonic ammo.

-870 express....fantastic shotgun, highly reliable, accurate, simple. I also prefer a pump, it's always made me hesitate that extra millisecond to place my follow up/2nd wing shot more accurately.

Sure fancier firearms exist but if you plan on using them in the field it hurts far less when they get banged up......and they will

I'm surprised that you have a hard time finding ammo. It is readily available in my area and also online. Not everything..... but a wide selection of calibers and in abundant quantities. Every retailer I have asked says that the ammo shortage ended 6-12 months ago.

I would also second the idea of an air rifle. I shoot my air rifles 20x more often than my firearms. They are very accurate, quiet to shoot and quality pellets are just $11-12 for a tin of 500. In the past year, I have done more hunting with air rifles than firearms too.

R

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
If I was to buy a shotgun to use for birds and small game, I would opt for a break action, double barrel 20 gauge with 26" or 28" barrels. Either one will be significantly shorter and lighter than a pump gun - even a short barreled pump gun. There are plenty of O/U models available. These are safe, reliable, and easy to carry in typical ruffed grouse cover, which tends to be thick, so you'll be carrying the gun in one hand most of the time.

Far a .22 rifle I suggest a bolt action, maybe a Remington or Savage. Scope optional depending ob your needs. I have a bunch of rifles - including a .17 HMR. The 17 HMR is a lot of fun, but the ammo is a bit more expensive than .22 long rifle - the standard .22 for most rifles.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised that you have a hard time finding ammo. It is readily available in my area and also online. Not everything..... but a wide selection of calibers and in abundant quantities. Every retailer I have asked says that the ammo shortage ended 6-12 months ago.

I would also second the idea of an air rifle. I shoot my air rifles 20x more often than my firearms. They are very accurate, quiet to shoot and quality pellets are just $11-12 for a tin of 500. In the past year, I have done more hunting with air rifles than firearms too.

R

Hadn't looked in awhile online. Looks like there is some 22lr back around but it's still pretty high on price and stock seems to still be pretty low and not as varied. What air rifle do you have?

EMrider

Explorer
Hadn't looked in awhile online. Looks like there is some 22lr back around but it's still pretty high on price and stock seems to still be pretty low and not as varied. What air rifle do you have?

22lr is by far the most popular caliber and it remains scarce relative to others in my area. Key is that now something is always in stock in 22lr, even if it might not be my preferred choice.

On airguns, I've got as many as firearms and heavily favor springers because I like their simplicity and fully self-contained nature. The ones I shoot most often (targets and hunting) are a Beeman R7, Beeman R1 and an air arms pro sport, all in .177 cal.

For accuracy, with any of them I can out-shoot a 22lr (in my hands) inside of 50 yards.

R

craig333

Expedition Leader
Glad I stocked up on .22 long ago. I loved my double barrel shotgun. Too bad I sold it when I was young and stupid. I'm still looking for another.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just stepped up and put 2 guns on layaway at my local store. My FAC expired and I am awaiting my replacement. I have a Hatsan 12 ga semi auto 3 1/2" in realtree xp and a Thompson 270 mag bolt action in realtree comes with scope as well. both come in for under 1900 bucks Canadian. As soon as I pick these up, I am putting a stevens 410 over/under, a savage 22 semi camo with some type of optics, and a savage trophy xp .223 for cyotes. Add these to my arsenal already which includes a Winchester 1500 xtr semi auto 12 guage field gun, Brazilian mauser 30-06 converted into a sporting gun, a savage semi auto 22, and a single shot 410 keui and I should have some choice when I want to go hunting.

KBC

Canadian made Savage MKII. I have the heavy barrel version and a friend has the regular one. Both are cheap and shoot great. I also have a Mossberg 500 with the two barrels. You could pick up both of those for less than half your budget. Then you can buy more firearms with the leftover money because you know you'll want more. Make sure you buy at least one SKS, they regularly go on sale up here for under $200. How can you turn that down? For $400...... https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/sks-combo-russian-sks-1200-round-case-norinco-7-62x39/

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep, it's like most things, you want more ALL the time. I have like 25 guitars, 3 motorcycles, 5 vehicles, crap load of guns now....damn. expensive stuff! ha ha. Just found a new "cheap" gun company. YILDIZ. They make inexpensive beautiful shot guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles