OK4WD AEV RAM 3500 Build Thread

Advmoto18

Observer
Rin

Just a quick question. Did you treat the bare metal with any kind of primer or paint before installing the snorkel? I'm a bit worried about corrosion on the East coast, especially along the coast.

Great looking project!

thethePete

Explorer
The stock intake is used and no underhood modications take place.

Then I guess I don't really understand how it connects to the air inlet to the motor, to create a watertight seal. Seems like if it doesn't seal up tight from the top of the snorkel to the throttlebody it isn't really doing anything, and by the sounds of it, at most, it connects to the duct that goes through the inner fender from the air box or something. All I see is a snorkle being cut into a fender, end of install. Don't wanna sound ignorant; I am a professional mechanic, I guess I'm just not that familiar with the air ducting on these new Rams on the way into the airbox. I'm just curious about the system, my dad is picking up a Power Wagon sooner than later, and this could be a nice present for him.

daveh

Adventurer
Then I guess I don't really understand how it connects to the air inlet to the motor, to create a watertight seal. Seems like if it doesn't seal up tight from the top of the snorkel to the throttlebody it isn't really doing anything, and by the sounds of it, at most, it connects to the duct that goes through the inner fender from the air box or something. All I see is a snorkle being cut into a fender, end of install. Don't wanna sound ignorant; I am a professional mechanic, I guess I'm just not that familiar with the air ducting on these new Rams on the way into the airbox. I'm just curious about the system, my dad is picking up a Power Wagon sooner than later, and this could be a nice present for him.

Here is the link to AEV for the install guide.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/aev_ram_raised-air-intake-installation-41215.pdf

thethePete

Explorer
^ This is useful. Thanks for that. I didn't bother to check if the install instructions were publicly available, that's why I cruise build threads for ideas.

...After reading them, it doesn't look like this thing really seals. It looks like it's as I mentioned above, it simply moves the primary air duct from the grille to this snorkle. I mean, on a truck this high, you're probably not fording water that deep, but it doesn't really look to do much more than friction fit into the air inlet into the stock airbox. Is this intended more for clean, fresh air, rather than actual water fording then? It definitely moves the inlet away from behind the grille, but that's about all it seems to do.

Bojak

Adventurer
You would need alot more than just a snorkel if the water line was at bottom of windshield level. As computer driven as modern trucks are you would need lots of waterproofing. But as you enter stream crossings you are typically nose down so a stream that in the deepest part is over the wheels would be headlights underwater at entry, so it is not a swim snorkel as much as a plunge snorkel. Dantes peak was a whole lot of Hollywood, cool, but Hollywood.

TommyG

Adventurer
Rendering from AEV:

attachment.php

thethePete

Explorer
^ Now that helps.

I am familiar with modern vehicles, I'm a licensed mechanic and spent time at both a Ford and a GM dealer, I suppose that's why I was so curious. The pictures for the install seemed to stop half way, since from them I could only tell that the snorkel ducted into the inner fender, and couldn't see how it connected to the stock air system. Most other installs I've seen include where it reattaches to head into the engine. Most of my experience is with ATV snorkels and I know we always go to great lengths to make sure it's sealed water/air tight from the inlet to the throttle body. I realize that this thing isn't going to be fording jungle rivers up to the windowline, and with the fender being 40+ inches off the ground, I think if it got that deep you'd have bigger problems, but from the rendering, you can see how close behind the headlight the air inlet to the airbox is and why I was curious about how the two joined up; it doesn't take much liquid to lock up a motor. The install instructions only indicate some type of rubber gasket and a friction fit. This rendering shows much more solid/comprehensive piping into the airbox. Consider my curiosity satisfied.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Very cool rino. Neat to see live shots of the AEV goodies being installed. I bet cutting that big of hole in a new truck is a hair raising experience
eek.gif

Turning out nice though!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rin

Just a quick question. Did you treat the bare metal with any kind of primer or paint before installing the snorkel? I'm a bit worried about corrosion on the East coast, especially along the coast.

Great looking project!

Thank you! OMG yes! haha I heavily coated all surfaces with POR15 rust preventive paint.

rino

^ Now that helps.

I am familiar with modern vehicles, I'm a licensed mechanic and spent time at both a Ford and a GM dealer, I suppose that's why I was so curious. The pictures for the install seemed to stop half way, since from them I could only tell that the snorkel ducted into the inner fender, and couldn't see how it connected to the stock air system. Most other installs I've seen include where it reattaches to head into the engine. Most of my experience is with ATV snorkels and I know we always go to great lengths to make sure it's sealed water/air tight from the inlet to the throttle body. I realize that this thing isn't going to be fording jungle rivers up to the windowline, and with the fender being 40+ inches off the ground, I think if it got that deep you'd have bigger problems, but from the rendering, you can see how close behind the headlight the air inlet to the airbox is and why I was curious about how the two joined up; it doesn't take much liquid to lock up a motor. The install instructions only indicate some type of rubber gasket and a friction fit. This rendering shows much more solid/comprehensive piping into the airbox. Consider my curiosity satisfied.

With some modifications this air box could be sealed, but like AEV has said the truck itself would need far more modifications to handle a water crossing of that height. The intention of the raised air intake is more of the lines of protection from dust.

The intake includes a foam gasket that joins the intake pipe in the fender to the airbox with a "firmer" seal.

thethePete

Explorer
^ Yeah, see that helps with a lot of my questions. I kind of feel like a pain in the *** about it, but I was genuinely curious. Like I said, given that that intake is 40+ inches above the ground, I think you'd have bigger issues if you dunked that part of the snorkel. It'll sure help for dust and anything that hits the grille.

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my questions. :)

rino

Very cool rino. Neat to see live shots of the AEV goodies being installed. I bet cutting that big of hole in a new truck is a hair raising experience
eek.gif

Turning out nice though!

It was most defiantly! :Wow1: I was super focused on marking the holes once pilot drilled to designate the final diameter. Things could get really bad real quick if one hole is the wrong size. haha

rino

^ Yeah, see that helps with a lot of my questions. I kind of feel like a pain in the *** about it, but I was genuinely curious. Like I said, given that that intake is 40+ inches above the ground, I think you'd have bigger issues if you dunked that part of the snorkel. It'll sure help for dust and anything that hits the grille.

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my questions. :)

Glad I could assist :)

rino

Some pictures of the AEV Conversions Front Bumper install. Along with the Warn 16.5ti Winch, VisionX 6.7" LED Cannons, Mopar RAM Projector Black Headlamps & Mopar RAM Black Grill.

Before:

FF451112-9F83-4843-9F40-A14855D0DE27_zpsqyvdnav8.jpg

Chrome grill and "quad beam" headlamps before being retired.

FC955635-2638-4C68-BED4-CB63F089BD0B_zpsuutp6q4o.jpg

E47A90D8-C439-428C-B8E0-C20A726F60E8_zpseqhfqhko.jpg

08273D61-212A-4272-8D1B-28D9C69C0236_zps4c0lzlgf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94