my 1992 gmc sierra

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I only meant to say hi and welcome to the Fullsize GM owners club, but then this happened.

cent frum a smaert fone

jdog1

wow...dude that's...wow. I have so many things I want to do to my truck now.I don't even know where to start. (well.... I do, fixing the damage from the wreck is priority) BUT, this is currently my only vehicle and is also used as a daily driver. So, does a SAS mess with the ride? If so would It still be street able?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Generally speaking, you'll probably want to start with a moderate lift (2-3") and a +1 or +2 tires in the AT variety - 285/75/16s Cooper ST MAXX for e.g should look and function nicely. Then I would focus on freshening up the components (radiator, hoses, belts, cap/rotor/plugs, fluids etc) and establishing a baseline to improve reliability. Also you consider a Flippac (something in between a shell and a slide in camper) if you plan to do lots of camping out of the truck but a basic shell works too if you're looking for a sleeping area primarily. There's lots of info and ideas on here if you look around regardless of the makes/models. Good luck!

jdog1

thanks for the tips. I'm probably going to do the opposite of what you said though stoic :/ , I'm going to freshen everything up and make a nice reliable vehicle, buy a nice shell, build a platform then throw a SAS at it. From the research Ive done the IFS lift kits are both expensive and will ware out ball joints quickly when your actually wheeling it.AND if you play your cards right you do an SAS for cheaper then a IFS lift.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I know a couple guys that have axle swapped trucks and they like the way they ride, very much like an old 73-87 pickup does. I thought I could do my sas got less than an ifs lift, but didn't get lucky there, BUT it is so much better than ifs will ever be.

cent frum a smaert fone

noJeepshere

Adventurer
And a Flippac for that thing would be awesome, if I had a truck instead of an suv I'd be rocking one.

cent frum a smaert fone

jdog1

cool. thanks for all the tips guys. I'm gonna try and start looking for parts here soon. As for a flippac I couldn't find a price for one. BUUUUUT its probably out of my price range anyways.I'm pretty sure I could build a platform and buy a used canopy for WAAAY cheaper.

jdog1

So I haven't been able to update for a while. I've been busy with work and other things. But I might be buying a canopy next week. Anyone have some good tips on a bed platform?

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Couple sheets of 4x8 plywood and 2x4's for the framework until you decide on a final setup.

cent frum a smaert fone

jdog1

my my it has been a while. a very long while. but hey im back with updates!!!! for now......
got all 4 of the front lights for cheaper then I paid for the one light from LMC truck (thanks amazon!).
bought a canopy!
got rid of the dry rotted tires!
and rebuilt the rear drums as the wheel cylinder was leaking and chunks were missing from the pads.

FB_IMG_1449339307254.jpgmurnane1.jpgmurnane.jpg20151205_140701~2.jpgdriveway1.jpg

truck beds make the best spot to hang out even if one is a dodge ;)

EDIT: a word

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Love it! Way back when, my 92 started very similar to yours, although it was maroon and silver, but no maroon on the bottom. If I was smart, which I am not, I would still be driving that truck. Or if I knew then what I know now, things would be different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior