Help removing a winch plate

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
The previous owner thought it would be a good idea to weld a small tab on each of the four winch plate bolts. I'd like to swap out the bumper but I need to take these off first, can anyone please recommend how I can get the welded bolts off?

Here is a pic for better understanding

24pwgb6.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
I would also use grinder. If you have any super quality chisels I would try a few good taps. From what can be seen it looks like it's just a quick blob. Should be able to be knocked off.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Dremel

My go to on that would be a grinder, then die grinder, then torch, then impact wrench...

They are in descending order of convenience, but maybe not fun.

IF and only IF you have none of those tools. You should be able to cut those with a Dremel and 3 metric buttloads of cutoff wheels. If that is your only option, you likely just spent enough on wheels to buy a nice grinder.

Wear safety glasses!

aldenfost

Good luck grinding and chiseling that out! Looks like whoever welded them on seriously had no intentions of taking them out. Sadly i have heard of winches and bumpers that have been stolen.

thethePete

Explorer
^ What those two said. That's just a small tack to keep the bolt from spinning, a chisel will break it free from either the plate or the bolt and then you can just undo it as normal. I would say the PO put those there to keep them from working free, not to "permanently install" the winch plate.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
thanks guys! I figure I'll try the chisel first and the angle grinder second. I need wminimal damage to the plate and bolts as I need to reuse them.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Please don't re-use those crappy torx bolts! :)
Just go down to your favorite hardware store and buy some 1.5" 1/2"-12 Grade 5 or 8 bolts and lock washers and put those there. Do the bottom ones too while you're doing. Stupid Torx bolts SUCK once they've rusted in place. Put some tow hooks on it too while you're at it! If you do that, you'll need 2-1/2" long bolts instead, but the old school cheap forged tow hooks fit and work perfectly on a TJ.

See! (I know, chrome is dumb, but the TJ hooks didn't fit with some IPF lights I used to run so I used what I had laying around, and decided these were likely stronger and easier to use with straps that have a fatter loop vs. the TJ hooks anyway.)
IMG_20150416_153915_540.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior