removing rear cross member?

boostin

Adventurer
Wondering what your opinion is in removing the most rear cross member in the frame?

Basically I want to remove for room to install the deck then bolt the rear of the frame to the skirt on the deck which would effectively work as the rear cross member

If I was not on my phone I would post a picture but it's on a fe so prob a little different then a fg.

I would still have one cross member behind the spring shackles

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
That little cross member, if you can really call it that, does not seem to have a lot of purpose. It does have a recovery hook, of sorts, on it but that's about it.
I actually removed the OEM one on my truck and replaced it with a more heavy duty bar that supports the little winch I have at the back for removing the spare wheels.

boostin

Adventurer
Hey thanks for your input...I actually decided to cut it out....might even end up taking a little off the frame rails to so I don't have a large gap between the cab and head ache rack once the deck is on..

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
When I did FEA on the Fuso frame nothing ever really showed up at the rear cross member. They always wanted to break where the rear axle front spring mount was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Finite Element Analysis
It is doing theoretical stress analysis within a CAD application, like SolidWorks, Rhino, Inventor etc.

boostin

Adventurer
Ah neat...way I assumed it's it was needed to help control frame flex...I also noticed a lot of the fe did not have them but mine might have cause it had a rear tank.

But since I am bolting it to the skirt on the deck I think the frame won't know the difference

gait

Explorer
my FG is missing everything from just behind the rear spring hangers - previous owner needed the space

Maninga

Adventurer
Mine doesn't have the rear cross member, looks like it was removed/cut off at some stage during its previous life. Might replace it with something in the future, but that's way down on my list of things to do

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
When I got my Fuso it had a frame extension welded on to the rear and the entire weight of the rear pivot was being borne by the extension not the frame directly. When i fabricated the new frame i eliminated the rear tubular frame extension and added a fourth crossmember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier