EEXP: Warn 16.5ti Winch

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
The Warn 16.5ti winch is the right tool for the job of solo vehicle off-road overland travel in the EEXP.

Check out what makes this product awesome:
EEXP: Warn 16.5ti Winch

Thoughts on what line I should get/if I should convert to synthetic line? The EEXP weighs in at about 10,000 lbs fully loaded, and it is pretty much always fully loaded.

EEXPWarn16.5ti-1.jpg

EEXPWarn16.5ti-2.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
No disrespect, but these posts of yours come across as just pimping a product that was given to you free of charge by Warn. One of the very first things you find when you click your link is a "Buy it now" button and a bunch of manufacturer specs and hype, no real review or critical comments

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
No disrespect, but these posts of yours come across as just pimping a product that was given to you free of charge by Warn. One of the very first things you find when you click your link is a "Buy it now" button and a bunch of manufacturer specs and hype, no real review or critical comments

Pay to play. Bryon is a supporting sponsor of the site, he gets to hype products. I agree that he could be a bit more subtle, but that's not his style.

pugslyyy

I've been running synthetic on mine with no issues. It's a good solid winch - but the 'big' winches are way overdue for an update from Warn compared to their smaller ones.

ExploringNH

Explorer
How does a synthetic line crush a drum vs a steel line?

It has a lot less friction and tends to constrict and cinch on the drum. I even think Overland Journal did some testing with a bunch of winches and had this happen to them but I could be mistaken. It doesn't hapopen everyday, especially if not using the full capacity of the winch, but it's not too uncommon either. Warn will not approve the use of synthetic line on most of their winches because of this. I really want synthetic and I would own the ZEON 12 Platinum today if it could take synthetic. Instead, I'm most likely making the swap to the Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR. The benefit of the Superwinch is that it has an amazing no load line speed compared to competitors. The downside is that it is still a pretty old school winch. The Zeon Platinum from Warn is heavy on technology, which I like (until it stops working).

K2ZJ

Explorer
Thanks. Do you know what makes the drum on the Superwinch handle the synthetic and not the Warn?

pugslyyy

If I recall correctly it is because the Superwinch has an external brake and the Warn is internal, so deforming the drum can cause it to engage the brake, which creates lots of friction, heat, and other generally bad things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
If I recall correctly it is because the Superwinch has an external brake and the Warn is internal, so deforming the drum can cause it to engage the brake, which creates lots of friction, heat, and other generally bad things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Warn Zeon has an external brake, to the drum, and is designed to specifically work well with synthetic line. Warn only offers the synthetic line up to 10K lbs, but a number of other winch line suppliers make great products for he 12K lb Zeon.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor

No disrespect taken.

A LARGE majority of products that I review on my site are thoroughly tested and only published if it is something I'd recommend. I regularly give back products to manufacturers that are not items I'd recommend. In the reviews I do post I try hard to give both the pros and cons, as EVERY product out there is a compromise in some way and dose have it's down falls compared to it's competitors.

Some product highlights like this one on the Warn 16.5ti are a bit of "pimping a product." I chose the product because I believed it was the best for my application, have now had it for nearly a year and it has proven to live up to the hype, Warn is a quality company that I've enjoyed working with in the past and they continue to support, through product, projects that I work on, like the EEXP.

I currently only "monetize" Exploring Elements through selling logoed gear and Amazon affiliate links (which kicks me back 4-6% of sales through the links on the site). So far these avenues of income have barely produced enough to keep the site live, and for sure the site still operates at a major loss overall.

Appreciate the feedback though. Will try to be less obtrusive with the "buy it now" and be more critical in the future. Always working to improve the site, but also find less intrusive ways to monetize it as well, so that I can keep devoting the resources to keeping it up.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Pay to play. Bryon is a supporting sponsor of the site, he gets to hype products. I agree that he could be a bit more subtle, but that's not his style.

Thanks for that. You are right, I'm not very subtle at all. I try hard to let people know exactly how I feel, where I'm coming from and what the deal is right up front. Maybe I need to work on that, but I like to think that at least some people respect that about me. I know I respect others who are extremely transparent and forthcoming online. Hidden agendas, sales schemes, etc... just annoy me and discredit the author.

Hope to see you again soon at Expo West!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I don't think that winch can take synthetic. It will crush the drum.

The 16.5ti is well known to work well with a Synthetic line, I've seen it on many rigs in person. Never heard of the drum crush issue. The only issue with Synthetic on this "old school" style winch is that the internal brake in the drum can produce excessive heat on the drum which can cause damage to a synthetic line. From my knowledge this isn't much of a problem in an overland style application where high speed winching and continuous receptive winching scenarios are pretty rare. Usually you have plenty of time to do a controlled recovery and provide the winch with plenty of time to cool during and between winching scenarios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94