2015 GMC Canyon

calicamper

Expedition Leader
All smart phones can double as a hot spot anyway. I found it reaaly funny GM made it such a big deal especially in adds targeting younger people who probbably use teathering ability on their phones often.

deadly99

Explorer
Installed a Magnaflow exhaust (cat back) on the weekend. Certainly louder than the Borla muffler I had already. Not obnoxious loud but louder. A bit of a drone around 2,500 rpm...will give it a week or two to decide whether or not I keep it installed. I do like having the louder volume.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Also relocated the spare to the bed of the truck. Installed a TireGate universal mount. The spare is a 30 inch diameter tire on a 16 inch rim. I cant find an exact fit for size tire for the 255/75/17 tires I have but I can come pretty close (closer than 2 inch difference)...so will get a new tire installed on the spare rim at some point.

5.jpg

Bought a SoftTopper cap last week and had some issues installing it. Hunting for a boat canvas shop to do a repair on it this week.

moabian

I received the N-Fab Rock Rails yesterday and was surprised to see that they mount to the body rather than to the frame. I've installed rock rails/sliders on numerous trucks and Jeeps and they have always been frame-mounted. It looks like your rails mount to the frame also, which certainly provides better protection. I had one side almost completely installed before I noticed the hardware kit was short 25% of the necessary bolts, washers and clips. I called them and figured I could just give an order number and they could send the missing pieces right out via Express. They said I had to email them with the part number and my shipping address, and they refused to ship via Express so I'm now waiting 6 days for the missing hardware to install the 2nd rail. In addition, the passenger side rail arrived with a rather large 1/2"-diameter chip in the textured powdercoat in the most noticeable location possible. It obviously happened prior to packaging for shipping since the rails were covered with many layers of bubble wrap and there was no indication of damage to the shipping box.

On the positive side, the N-Fab rails look great and tuck up very tightly to the body so they will not get in the way like side-steps often do. They tuck in so tight that it is impossible to use them as a step. If I intended to use the Canyon on rough off-road trails, I might return the N-Fab rails and get something that provided more protection...but most of the trails I do anymore are relatively mild.

I've been on the fence about lifting or leveling the truck. But I installed an Aries Bull Bar last week (it holds an amazing Rigid 20" E2 Series combo light bar) and promptly smacked it on a rock. The approach angle on the Canyon isn't the best to start with, and the bull bar reduced that approach angle. I'm now leaning more toward at least leveling the truck.

And by the way, I mounted the switch for the Rigid light on that card slot panel. The panel comes out VERY easily with a trim removal tool. I thought the large panel below the steering wheel would also remove easily, but it does not. It's not necessary to remove the lower panel to remove the card slot panel.

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
I bought nfabs. Love look but not how they install. I turned mine into sliders. Fitted tube from nfabs back to frame. Ditched bolts through pinch weld. Look like stock ones but much more robust mounting. If they take any contact mounted the factory recommend way it will equal body damage.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

deadly99

Explorer
Would you mind taking a photo of your truck from directly in front? Want to see how that light bar fills the front gap

Will do next time I am out in the parking lot. The fins you have to cut to put the light bar in...you don't need to cut the outside fins. I didnt realize that when installing.

Winter is quickly approaching where I live. Was out Saturday night with some buddies ripping some local trails. Water crossing were covered in a thin sheet of ice. As you drove threw them the water splashes would freeze as they hit the truck. Was kinda cool. Truck was covered in a half inch of mud ice, was a PITA to clean

ice2.jpg

ice.jpg

$25 later at the spray wash the next day

ice3.jpg

One of the Swing cases ripped off. The truck was doing a good clip for a while though a bunch of whoops and ledges...seems the self tapping screws aren't up to the job. Its going to be a bit of a PITA to get nuts inside the fenders to re attach it (and do the other side for [peace of mind). The box did well though. It was bouncing around in freezing cold weather for a few dozen miles of rough trails driven at speed.

The Magnaflow exhaust is coming off this week. Love the sound at idle and love the sound when you tromp on it but at 2000-2300 rpm there is a drone. Real bummer for me. If you had a truck that wasn't tuned and drove at lower RPM it would be a cool exhaust system to have. So anyone local that wants it can get a good deal...

Last edited:

PAKraig

Great Truck

Great truck Deadly! I'm a Toyota guy seriously contemplating a 2016 Canyon or Colorado and your truck really has me leaning that way now!! I always liked the H3 and H3Ts too and was pretty heartbroken when GM killed Hummer; but that's how it goes.

I've got a set of 33" BFG AT KO2s that will go on my next vehicle though and with your current suspension setup, do you feel you could run a full 33 (32.7) inch tire on there? Looks like it might be a pretty good fit.

deadly99

Explorer
Great truck Deadly! I'm a Toyota guy seriously contemplating a 2016 Canyon or Colorado and your truck really has me leaning that way now!! I always liked the H3 and H3Ts too and was pretty heartbroken when GM killed Hummer; but that's how it goes.

I've got a set of 33" BFG AT KO2s that will go on my next vehicle though and with your current suspension setup, do you feel you could run a full 33 (32.7) inch tire on there? Looks like it might be a pretty good fit.

I have 32's and getting them not to rub was a challenge. For 33's you'd be looking at some modifications to the wheel wells. Doable but would involve some work.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Awesome, where did you pick that up?

I assume it is actually for a Canyon/Colorado. You are probably the first one!

mizeide

Michael - Owner Wanderlust Overland
Looks great! Finally someone with the redesigned Softopper for the new Colorado/Canyons. What do you think of the fitment? Any issues you found? Can you take a picture of the inside of the bed with it on?

deadly99

Explorer
softtopper.com

Yes, specifically made for these models of truck's. Seems to fit perfectly, I'm quite impressed.

During the initial install I screwed up and two snaps pulled out of the fabric. Yes I was pissed. I called the fellow who owns the company and he deserves a shout out. Old school customer service. We exchanged photos trying to figure out what I did wrong, we never did. I assume the fabric was to cold and wouldn't "stretch" as the second install went silky smooth. He sent me some canvas to use as a patch, some new snaps and a tool to install them. A quick youtube schooling on sewing canvas, a trip to a sewing shop for a large needle and some exterior canvas thread (uv resistant, etc) and it was an easy job.

So...I am loving it so far, take your time with the install and ensure the canvas isn't cold.

I'll snap a photo of the inside.

I was borrowing a buddies heated shop, so I did two coats up seam sealer as this will be the last chance I get before next spring.

Winter will be here soon and it will sure be nice to not have a truck full of snow :)

I hate to talk something up without a long term test, so give me a year or two with it before I can say yay or nay ;)

Dropping the front differential a half inch this week. I want to raise the front another half inch or so (remove the rake it currently has due to the extra lift the extra leaf spring provided) but the cv angles need to be better.

The plastic skid plate is being replaced with aluminum this week as well along with some rock lights (I couldn't resist at $30...bling bling).

Saving my pennies for a winch and bumpers and wheel flares. Might take until spring before this happens.

33, 000 on the odo

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94