Need Mic Cable Solution - Radio to Earmuffs

doug720

Expedition Leader
Call Rugged radios. They have or have made many custom adapters and cables for or radios.

No connection other than being a happy customer.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the idea, they say is is not possible due to the 3.5mm jack on the headphone only being for receiving.
Solution will be to use an earpiece with inline mic and wear it under the headphones.

Brian

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Brian I am not sure if this really helps or not :)
BUT we love our Sena Intercom's on our bikes and Sena makes a ham radio adapter than turns your radio into bluetooth device.
Works great.
I guess you lose your nice Howard earmuffs but the Sena does talk, phone, gps and ham so well you might not miss them.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
If what you want to do is use the headphones for listening, and a separate hand held microphone, I'm pretty sure you can do that. I think yaesu makes a Y adapter that splits out the 4 conductor 3.5mm from the radio into two 3.5mm sockets, one for microphone and one for headset. You'd still need a separate microphone if you didn't want to talk into the radio's built in microphone.

Or you could buy a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug and wire up your own adapter.

Finally, for high noise headset, some people have adapted aviation headsets to use with ham HT's. Pretty sure some electronics are needed, because the levels and impedance is different, but it can be done. Good aviation headsets would be fine for shooting.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone!

It's amazing what you can find on Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-3-5mm-...eywords=3.5mm+to+3.5mm+with+inline+microphone
61l8Ttwpw3L._SL1500_.jpg

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
So I called Howard Leight to double check with a tech that I can use the male to male cable with inline microphone to do what I want and the tech said no.
I said why, she said because the product is not designed for that.

I explained how it should work and she agreed that it should work in theory but that they do not recommend it because the headphones (with audio jack) are not designed to be used as a communication devise, only for listening to music. I suggested it is the same thing to listen to music or a voice from a handheld and use an external microphone to communicate and she agreed but did not recommend it.

.....it's too bad sometimes when the fear of liability limits a manufacturer from embracing the full potential of their product.

Hopefully this idea of the male to male cable with inline mic will work, not sure yet.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
If it doesn't work w/ the special cable, I'm positive there is a way to wire one up. Digikey has the 4 conductor plugs.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Should be a real simple matter to wire one up out of a cellphone headset / mic and a new plug connector.

The amazon piece should work fine.

I'm using a straight 3-conductor adapter cable for podcast playback from my iPhone to my same Howard Leight electronic earmuffs, works great. And I'm able to take a call, hear the conversation thru my headphones, while speaking into the phone mic as normal. I just take the call with the phone in my shirt pocket, mic end up. Don't know why that works, but it does, just tested that to be sure. maybe because the cable I'm using has no mic component. I'm not sure but I ***-u-me that plugging a headset with mic into the jack on the phone would disable the internal mic(?)

That might not work in a high noise environment, from the other end of the call, but that would be the case whatever regular microphone solution is used. You'd have to be using a throat / induction mic to beat that aspect of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz