Smaller Earthroamer, gearjunkie article

familyvan

Adventurer
For me, I would like to see a flatbed with a cabover camper that I can remove so I can have a truck when not using it and do not have to have multiple vehicles to maintain. And Ideally the cost for the camper/flatbed would be between 50k-100k. Yea I realize I am describing the xp. But I would like to see more options of that quality.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I am really just asking for the same setup as the Uro Camper, but just have it available in the US.
Is it the case that Uro-Camper will not export an Xplora to the United States? Shipping would be expensive (though it looks like container shipping would work) and there's be the issue of changing the electrical, but I'm not seeing a huge problem.

Tribu went to the effort to post a lot of Xplora construction details last year:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110082-Uro-Camper-Xplora

and he seemed to appreciate how highly we all regarded his product. It might be worth an inquiry.

And I probably don't need to mention that at the current rate of roughly $1.07 per Euro, buying something from Europe is going to be about as cheap as it's been for a lot of years.

chart

Keyne

Adventurer
Yes, been following the Uro-camper postings. Really nice campers IMO. I wonder how much it would cost to import... XP camper is probably the closest in the US to their style of campers. I read a post from EEXP that the cube cost about $40K from XP. IMO thats really reasonable for a custom camper. Marc from XP has mentioned that he would be willing to work on a base camp process to use the camper off the truck. Maybe I just need to save some dough and get an AEV RAM setup (Their white Cummins RAM with utebed would do nicely :sombrero:) with an XP cube. Good news is my wife likes the XP and Uro-camper designs so there is hope!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No doubt the Euro is way down. I've seen a number of sailing folks make trips to the Med recently to shop for a cruising boat. If your going to buy a Euro product this is the time to be doing it.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'm not in the 100k+ market, but I would like to see something smaller and lighter if I was. Something like an XP camper (fiberglass pop-up) but chassis mounted, with a cab pass through, on a crew cab/ext cab short box truck. Something that is a little more comparable to sportsmobile size if not smaller.
Actually I'd love seeing something smaller and chassis mounted on a Tacoma, but would be a hard sell with GVWR. Though I guess they must have re-certified their Jeep camper weight in some way. Mike?...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Actually I'd love seeing something smaller and chassis mounted on a Tacoma, but would be a hard sell with GVWR. Though I guess they must have re-certified their Jeep camper weight in some way. Mike?...
It''s interesting, but a 7,000 pound XV-JP can be as steady, stable and safe-feeling as a more normal highly-built Wrangler (which can easily hit 5K). The tires have more than enough capability, well over 3,000 pounds each, and the current heavy-duty suspension (nth degree; now AEVs) has plenty of reserve. That said, however, the original configuration, with Goodyear Mud-Terrains and a more-flexy TeraFlex suspension was not as inspiring, though it never felt outright dangerous. But the current configuration has no vices at all.

As far as the "recertification," I'm not how they would do that, as I'm not sure there's anything related to weight that was ever certified in the first place on a Wrangler, Tacoma or so on. I think it's a matter of having the individual components up to the task. I've (remarkably/embarrassingly) had a 6,000 pound Tacoma, a 7,000 pound Land Cruiser 80, and this 7,000 pound Wrangler, and all have been more than up to the task of carrying the weight.

Another thing to consider is that by selecting the Tacoma, you've picked out the truck with just about the least payload available of the alternatives. If you were, for example, to use a new Ford F-150, the payload would be close to double that. Even the Colorado is a couple hundred pounds better. And I'd guess anything above 2K would do be enough for a credible cabin, though I suspect payload, like space, would get used up if you have it available.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
It''s interesting, but a 7,000 pound XV-JP can be as steady, stable and safe-feeling as a more normal highly-built Wrangler (which can easily hit 5K). The tires have more than enough capability, well over 3,000 pounds each, and the current heavy-duty suspension (nth degree; now AEVs) has plenty of reserve. That said, however, the original configuration, with Goodyear Mud-Terrains and a more-flexy TeraFlex suspension was not as inspiring, though it never felt outright dangerous. But the current configuration has no vices at all.

As far as the "recertification," I'm not how they would do that, as I'm not sure there's anything related to weight that was ever certified in the first place on a Wrangler, Tacoma or so on. I think it's a matter of having the individual components up to the task. I've (remarkably/embarrassingly) had a 6,000 pound Tacoma, a 7,000 pound Land Cruiser 80, and this 7,000 pound Wrangler, and all have been more than up to the task of carrying the weight.

Another thing to consider is that by selecting the Tacoma, you've picked out the truck with just about the least payload available of the alternatives. If you were, for example, to use a new Ford F-150, the payload would be close to double that. Even the Colorado is a couple hundred pounds better. And I'd guess anything above 2K would do be enough for a credible cabin, though I suspect payload, like space, would get used up if you have it available.

My wrangler was well over 5k loaded up, handled great as well. I'm putting a Fwc on a tacoma so I know the gvwr issue there too. I should have clarified what I was asking I guess. Did EarthRoamer re-certify your jeep with a higher gvwr or just build it and send it out?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I should have clarified what I was asking I guess. Did EarthRoamer re-certify your jeep with a higher gvwr or just build it and send it out?
I don't believe there was a "new" GVWR established. I suspect that ER figured that the tires and suspensions they offered had a more-than-adequate safety margin, but I don't know of anything they did to get a formal number. If they did, they didn't tell me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke