Smaller Earthroamer, gearjunkie article

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
"Swails hinted that a smaller, much more affordable EarthRoamer may be on the horizon for the masses who aspire to weekends away in a do-all, off-road RV."

Jeez, and it went so well last time. :sombrero:

Sure hope it doesn't end up looking like my redesign. I'd be grumpy about that.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
"Swails hinted that a smaller, much more affordable EarthRoamer may be on the horizon for the masses who aspire to weekends away in a do-all, off-road RV."

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

njtacoma

Explorer
When I visited the factory in December they talked about the new F650 based truck being built this year, but no mention of a smaller one. Maybe F650 is code for "smaller/cheaper"
The pictures and info look fairly recent so, perhaps there is something smaller and more affordable coming.

It would be cool to do something on a jeep chassis, maybe with a pop top... no, wait. :ylsmoke:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader

I was just being flip yesterday, but I was nevertheless halfway thinking about it last night and concluded that they're not going to use a Wrangler again, a la XV-JP; I'll bet they use a Ford.

Here's my reasoning . . . They already have the incomplete vehicle thing all nailed down with Ford AND you can now--unlike in 2007--get Ford cab and chassis units finished to a nice level. More than enough aftermarket parts available for the Ford 4WD, and you can have a diesel.

Part II is that they already have C.F. Meier making really molded nice cabins for them. They're expensive, but Part III is that with XV-LTs now routinely costing $350K or more, something that came in at $200K would count as an affordable EarthRoamer.

So how about this?

ShellonF-series.jpg

This cabin profile is for the ex-Safari Vehicle Manufacturing fiberglass shell I owned for a while and always thought I'd mount onto a cab-and-chassis unit. It is nominally 10 feet long x 6 feet wide, about the same as the base XV-LT cabin floor, and was about the same thickness and strength. It has an enclosed bath, a kitchen, a table to eat at, space to sit, and a bed for two. All up, the length overall was just over 20 feet; and the finished cabin would add less than a ton to the weight.

It looked like this mounted on a U140 Unimog::

CamperU100L.jpg

I think that ER could make these all day on an F-250 for an "affordable" $200K base price.

Anyone else want to play "Guess the New EarthRoamer"? :)

familyvan

Adventurer
Im hoping for an under $200k price tag. Not sure what they will do. But I agree it will most likely be on a f250. (which is not a bad thing). And a more simple box. Time will tell... And I look forward to what they do. Maybe it will be similar to what bimobil does with there removable cabins.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'll play: They were watching that High-Speed Low-Drag Earthroamer/Raptor thread here on ExPo and got a bright idea. :)

Keyne

Adventurer
What I would really want is for someone in the US to build a Urocamper Explora (Link below).... maybe even with a cabover instead of just the box but I could live with just the box. The XP Cube is pretty close but still isn't usable as a base camp. Details of what I would want:
- Based on an F250/350 flatbed chassis
- Diesel appliances
- Dry camp capable (solar, no generator, etc.
- Usable with the roof down (not 100% comfortable but at least usable)
- Removable from flat bed with jacks so it can be basecamped. I am not that experienced with overlanding/truck camping but don't understand why this hasn't been done more often. Seems killer to me to have this as an option. Drop the camper when staying longer term and use the truck to explore, get supplies, etc.
- Optional - If built as a cube (noncabover) I think it would be great to have a canvas cover (with a discreet opening for the camper door) for the whole camper. The camper is usable with the roof down so in urban/town settings you could stealth camp the camper by covering it in the canvas cover. It would look like a delivery truck.

http://www.uro-camper.com/web/en/xplora-2/

haven

Expedition Leader
"Removable from flat bed with jacks..."

This can get more exciting than you expect when the ground isn't level, or is soft.

"
Drop the camper when staying longer term..."

Drop the camper takes on a whole new meaning when you're off the hard, level pavement.

Another reason why this isn't popular today: Weight. Few people want to carry four jacks and stands around on the off chance that you might want to remove the camper. And the camper has to be specially reinforced for use off the truck. The floor of the typical camper is not meant for people to walk around inside without the support of the truck bed.

haven

Expedition Leader
Re: Ford vs other platforms, I think Bill Swails has a soft spot for Dodge. Bill's' ER2K proof of concept used a Cummins-powered Dodge. The AEV parts for the current RAM make it simple to create an HD diesel powered RAM with off-road aspirations.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What I would really want is for someone in the US to build a Urocamper Explora (Link below).... maybe even with a cabover instead of just the box but I could live with just the box. The XP Cube is pretty close but still isn't usable as a base camp. Details of what I would want:
- Based on an F250/350 flatbed chassis
- Diesel appliances
- Dry camp capable (solar, no generator, etc.
- Usable with the roof down (not 100% comfortable but at least usable)
- Removable from flat bed with jacks so it can be basecamped. I am not that experienced with overlanding/truck camping but don't understand why this hasn't been done more often. Seems killer to me to have this as an option. Drop the camper when staying longer term and use the truck to explore, get supplies, etc.
- Optional - If built as a cube (noncabover) I think it would be great to have a canvas cover (with a discreet opening for the camper door) for the whole camper. The camper is usable with the roof down so in urban/town settings you could stealth camp the camper by covering it in the canvas cover. It would look like a delivery truck.

http://www.uro-camper.com/web/en/xplora-2/

I would suggest if you ever get a chance to look at a E-Trek RV all your questions as to why what you want is not done. To have diesel heat, and electric cook top and systems etc which by the way is very cool from a off the grid no hook ups stand point the machine you dream of will have considerable space allocated to systems housed under the living space vs in the living space. Meaning if you want it removable from the vehicle you will need to give up the systems that make the living space off grid capable. If removing the living space from the vehicle is a MAJOR priority the solution already exists its called a RV Trailer, simply go high end and have it set up as an off grid RV with the diesel heat and electrical capacity for the other appliances etc.

Keyne

Adventurer
"Removable from flat bed with jacks..."

This can get more exciting than you expect when the ground isn't level, or is soft.

"
Drop the camper when staying longer term..."

Drop the camper takes on a whole new meaning when you're off the hard, level pavement.

Another reason why this isn't popular today: Weight. Few people want to carry four jacks and stands around on the off chance that you might want to remove the camper. And the camper has to be specially reinforced for use off the truck. The floor of the typical camper is not meant for people to walk around inside without the support of the truck bed.

Good points on the weight and the floor. I am really just asking for the same setup as the Uro Camper, but just have it available in the US. Also, Blissmobil provides this type of base camp setup with their campers. XP V1&2 have the type of appliances that would work. In regards to flat soft ground, I would most likely only base camp it in a camp ground (eg Yosemite) most likely on paved ground. People with FWC's support the floor with plywood crosses that can be stored flat under the camper when not in use. Also, wood or metal plates could be put under the jacks to spread the load and help them from sinking (similar to boat yard stands use wood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke