2004 Jeep Grand WJ build thread

jwp2121

Observer
Factory Mopar Hitch Install

Installed the factory hitch and bezel I found at a local junkyard the other day. Jeep made pulling the rear bumper off way harder than they needed to! There are two torx bolts under the rear hatch along with four plastic body clips. There are also four more clips on the bottom of the bumper. Then you have to remove more clips inside the wheel wells and remove the plastic inner flaps. After all that, you still have to remove three body rivets that are a one time use to even be able to slide the bumper back. In order to slide the bumper back, you also have to pry a couple white press in clips out of their holes and manage to not break them. Once you have conquered that ordeal, you can get down to the easy install. I cleaned and painted the hitch before putting it on the Jeep with semi gloss black. The back of the bumper has marks on it to cut and drill for the bezel. Just make sure you do a test fit before you actually drill or cut. I didn't and the holes were not marked correctly. I ended up having to drill a new set of holes but you can't see any of it once the bezel is on so it's not a big deal. I plan on mainly using the hitch to place a D-ring receiver in for the recovery point.

Attachments

• photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 49
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 45

jwp2121

Observer
More Pics

Attachments

• photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 14.jpg
    photo 14.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 55

jwp2121

Observer
Current state as of 6/3/15

Just playing around in the backyard. :roost:

Attachments

• photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 52

jwp2121

Observer
@WKexpedition - Thanks. I am still waiting on the wheels, they must be swamped with orders. It's kinda a good thing they haven't came yet because the wife still doesn't know I ordered them. I really like the Toyo's and am leaning more towards them. They are just so damn expensive compared to the KO2's.

$246 for the BFG's from Discount vs $316 for the Toyo's on any website

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
@WKexpedition - Thanks. I am still waiting on the wheels, they must be swamped with orders. It's kinda a good thing they haven't came yet because the wife still doesn't know I ordered them. I really like the Toyo's and am leaning more towards them. They are just so damn expensive compared to the KO2's.

$246 for the BFG's from Discount vs $316 for the Toyo's on any website

WOW, that is a huge price jump. Why so expensive??

jwp2121

Observer
D-Ring hitch receiver

Installed my D-Ring receiver hitch for a rear recovery point. I bought the Smittybuilt one from 4Wheelparts for 32.00 out the door. I used a pin lock I already had to secure it. For the front I plan to go with some D-Ring mounts from either Fawkes or Saguro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

jwp2121

Observer
Onboard CO2 system finished

Finished my home made Onboard Air system that I have been piecing together.
Just a recap on parts and costs -
10lb Aluminum tank and CO2 fill. $82 from a local welding supply
Polyperformance constant flow regulator. $40 plus shipping
Brass male quick connect fitting. $4 from local hardware store
50' air hose - Free from my garage
Air chuck - Free from my garage
Quick Fists rubber mounts to secure bottle - $20 from Instant Air Supply
So $146 for my setup VS $239 for the 10lb kit from Instant Air Supply, $249 for Smittybuilt, or $439 for Powertank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 44

jwp2121

Observer
1000 mile road trip through Cali

Just got back from a six day road trip up the coast of California. Put over 1K miles on the jeep and had a blast. Took the family up through Malibu along the 101 and 1, stopped in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Solvang, Pismo Beach and the Oceano Dunes. Then headed east through San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles and visited the Sequoia National Park. Did a bunch of hiking and explored Crystal Cave in the Park. Duned the Jeep at Oceano and got to test out my CO2 inflation system. Can't wait for the next trip.
:REOutCampFire03:

Attachments

• pismo3.jpg
    pismo3.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pismo4.JPG
    pismo4.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 51
  • pismo5.jpg
    pismo5.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 50
  • pismo.jpeg
    pismo.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 58
  • pismo2.jpg
    pismo2.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 54

jwp2121

Observer
Sequoia Giant Forest

Was pretty awesome to stand next to the "Largest Tree in the World" General Sherman!:Wow1: Also hiked to the top of Morro Rock. Great views

Attachments

• pismo8.jpg
    pismo8.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pismo7.jpg
    pismo7.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 43
  • pismo6.jpg
    pismo6.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 46
  • pismo9.jpg
    pismo9.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 47
  • tunneltree.jpg
    tunneltree.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 52
  • pismo10.jpg
    pismo10.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 43
  • pismo11.jpg
    pismo11.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 37
  • cabin.jpg
    cabin.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 39

jwp2121

Observer
New headlights with all clear reflectors

I replaced the original headlights that were super faded and cloudy yellow. I had tried to polish these things multiple times and they were just too far gone. I went on Amazon and found the new headlights that had a stock appearance but didn't have any amber reflectors. I cant stand the flashy halo chromed out style lights that make the thing look like a Honda Civic that should be in fast & furious. I also replaced all the bulbs with clear instead of amber to give it a clean look inside. For now I still have the stock high and low beams in the housing but the light is much brighter now that they are actually CLEAR. I plan on putting in LED headlight bulbs for even more light soon. These lights made the front of the Jeep look so much better.

Attachments

• jeep lights box.jpg
    jeep lights box.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 46
  • jeep headlight.jpg
    jeep headlight.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 42
  • jeep light.jpg
    jeep light.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 47
  • jeep old lights.jpg
    jeep old lights.jpg