Samsung Galaxy Tab A $230 and up

haven

Expedition Leader
Samsung introduced the Galaxy Tab A in Europe a couple of month ago. Now the company is ready to offer the new Android tablet in USA. The MSRP for the model with an 8 inch screen will be $230. List price for the 9.7 inch display will be $300. I expect retailers to announce discounts shortly after the tablets are introduced.

It's hard to keep track of the Samsung tablets. The new Tab A differs from other inexpensive Samsung models primarily in its screen's 4:3 aspect ratio. Previous Samsung tablets in this price range were 16:9, better for watching high-def movies, but not as good for other uses. All the current iPads, for example, also use a 4:3 screen ratio.

The low price Samsung tablets are favorites of overland travelers because they include GPS capability in the basic model. No need to purchase a WiFi-plus-Cellular model to have GPS.

The Tab A also features a microSD slot, useful for expanding the tablet's storage memory. Need to carry maps for all of Central America? Need to archive your photos during a long trip? No problem with removable microSD cards.

Other specs of the Tab A reflect the low price. The screen is 1024x768 dots per inch, processor is a Qualcomm 1.2 GHz Snapdragon 400, 1.5 GB RAM, and 16 or 32 GB built in storage. The Tab A runs Android 5.0, with Samsung "enhancements" and apps added.

One feature of this Android tablet is the ability to have multiple user accounts. This is convenient if you have to share the tablet with others.

Samsung also pre-loads Microsoft Office for Android, which includes 100 GB of storage in
Microsoft's cloud app.

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-coming-to-america-in-may-for-230-and-up.html

Renntag

Adventurer
Sounds great. I am preparing to sell my 10.1 Samsung tab2.
I'd love a newer unit with multiple users.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Finally more tablet makers getting into the proper ratio for a tablet for anything other than movies. The aspect ratio was the only thing I liked about the ipad. It made magazines, feel like, magazines. where as you cannot read correctly with a 16/9 ratio tablet.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Tab A reviews I've read are concerned about the low screen resolution. 1024x768 dots per inch is as low as the original iPad. Most tablets with similar screens sell for far less than $200. This may not be noticeable when the tablet is mounted on the dashboard of your truck, but you'll be aware of the low resolution when holding it in your lap or on a table at less than arm's length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior