Fuso FG140 2013, 600km on the clock, already at the dealer

drudru

Observer
First experience with DEF and DPF systems...the truck is at less than 600km and already I am at the dealer with issues. Ended up in limp mode, unable to get out of it even after a manual regeneration, needed to be towed. Dealer replaced the pump unit (which also includes sensors), a 1100$CA part, on warranty. It is not a reassuring start....

On another note, the Fuso is mounted on super single wheels with 37" tires. The dealer wants to reprogram the transmission to take into account the size of the tires. (nothing to do with recalibrating the speedometer, that is done already). The dealer contacted Mitsubishi engineering to get the new programming but they can't seem to actually get it, the Fuso has been sitting in the dealer's lot for over a week now. The dealer told me the transmission would burn up with such tires.

The dealer is also preparing a list of regular issues with Fuso's. On many of those, when they encounter them, they don't just fix it, they upgrade it so it doesn't happen again. They offered me to do some of those upgrades before the issues shows up. One example they gave me was the electric wire linking the battery to the starter, telling me often in cold weather, when cranking the engine a long time to start, the electric wire being too small overheat, get damaged and then shorts. They would replace it with a bigger gauge to prevent the issue.

What do you think?

dlh62c

Explorer
The Diesel Exhaust Fluid and Diesel Particulate Filter are two separate components in the emission system. When you say a pump was replaced, I'm assuming it was the pump mounted on top of the DEF tank.

Has a cargo body or tray been mounted onto the chassis recently?

A barb fitting on top of the pump housing can be broken during a body fit-up if someone isn't paying attention while working around it, leaning on it, or using it as a work surface. The broken fitting is easy to spot. Once a body is mounted it should never be an issue.

Regarding the 37” wheels, with the Duonic transmission, Mitsubishi recommends not changing the wheel size. You might check with Earthcruiser and ATW USA to see what they did and what their recommendations are.

After a body is mounted, Mitsubishi recommends a reprogramming of the Duonic transmission. I believe it has something to do with re-learning the shift points for the additional weight. I have trouble with the whole concept since the truck's weight is somewhat dynamic, since it can change depending on the weight of the cargo.

Regarding fixing the misc issues, I wouldn't do it unless it was on their nickel. If they hit you with a quote, I'd walk away.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Drudru....sounds like the truck is in need of the updated reprogramming. Your dealer will need to reflash the ECU/SAM with the updated package, which should take care of the DEF/DPF issues. Also, there are a few updates that'll need to be done to it, but your dealer has the TSB's on that. Other TSB's deal with incorrect trans fluid level, trans replacement if necessary, etc. All under warranty.

I agree with dlh - sounds like someone stepped on the pump.

The pos cable is a new one to me..I just replaced the battery box and cables, the previous ones looked to be the same gauge.

With mounting a body, and different weights, the software on these trucks works in a fuzzy mode - it's always relearning, and teaching itself as conditions change. The tire size should be a non-issue, it'll be able to deal with it. To the best of my knowledge, the truck doesn't need to be "told" it has larger diameter rollers, other than the speedo recalibration.

All of this stuff, except for the speedo recal, will/should be on warranty.

Let me know if you'd like to me to send you the TSB's that I have (downloaded them in 12-2014) - they'll give you an idea what might be done. Also, I can probably get the warranty history on my truck, a 2012 that's already gone through the stuff, and send it to you. That might help your dealer figure out what needs to be done.

If you want the most updated info, online the best source I've found is the mitsu tech site. It's pay, but you can get a short term account and then download manuals, TSB's, body builder guides, etc. I did that when I got my truck, promptly downloaded everything, and it's been a definite help.

It'll get sorted out, I'm sure.

ETA: Oh and I'll also add that the reflash will give you new shift points and new vehicle behaviour, more than likely. It'll be a big difference once you get it back, if it's done. The original software package apparently had to be extensively re-written. I was told it was originally a Fiat product that FUSO didn't modify too much, which was an initial mistake. But they seem to have solved it, I remember my truck being somewhat of a dog when I got it, but it made quite a difference once it had the new package installed.

Last edited:

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Quick chime in with a couple of quick questions,
What build year is the truck?
What final drive ratio do you have?
Who did the initialisation?
Agree with Czechsix that your truck is need a reprogram, night and day difference.

dlh62c

Explorer
FYI.

The barb fitting that is easily broken is shown in the attached photo. The pump assembly is located on top of the DEF tank. A replacement pump will run around $900 USD, so be careful working around it without a body mounted on the chassis. A mounted body will offer protection against inadvertently leaning or dropping something on it.

IMG_0720.jpg

Looking back on a past posting, it looks 'drudru' might have found this out first hand;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-frame-for-the-Bigfoot?p=1805465#post1805465

Last edited:

drudru

Observer
The Diesel Exhaust Fluid and Diesel Particulate Filter are two separate components in the emission system. When you say a pump was replaced, I’m assuming it was the pump mounted on top of the DEF tank.

Has a cargo body or tray been mounted onto the chassis recently?

A barb fitting on top of the pump housing can be broken during a body fit-up if someone isn’t paying attention while working around it, leaning on it, or using it as a work surface. The broken fitting is easy to spot. Once a body is mounted it should never be an issue.
Yes it is the unit mounted on top of the DEF tank. I am fully aware that the barb fitting is fragile...broke it...replaced the unit...and the new one is the defective one being swapped at the dealer. There is no body mounted yet on top of the subframe.

Regarding the 37” wheels, with the Duonic transmission, Mitsubishi recommends not changing the wheel size. You might check with Earthcruiser and ATW USA to see what they did and what their recommendations are.
The tires were recommended by Kym Bolton of goannatracks.com (and I believe the owner of the original Earthcruiser?)

After a body is mounted, Mitsubishi recommends a reprogramming of the Duonic transmission. I believe it has something to do with re-learning the shift points for the additional weight. I have trouble with the whole concept since the truck’s weight is somewhat dynamic, since it can change depending on the weight of the cargo.
Yes, and they will give me the procedure to do the reprogramming myself. You are right, in my case, between full and dry, it will be a weight difference of about 1400 pounds. It is 10% of the GVWR.

Regarding fixing the misc issues, I wouldn’t do it unless it was on their nickel. If they hit you with a quote, I’d walk away.

Hope this helps!

It is about the feeling I had too. They also offered to train me on the various particulars of the Fuso, especially the DEF/DPF parts, usual issues, workarounds, etc.

drudru

Observer
With mounting a body, and different weights, the software on these trucks works in a fuzzy mode - it's always relearning, and teaching itself as conditions change. The tire size should be a non-issue, it'll be able to deal with it. To the best of my knowledge, the truck doesn't need to be "told" it has larger diameter rollers, other than the speedo recalibration.
It was my general understanding too, I was under the feeling that as much as the tech at the dealership is knowledgeable, a FG140 in the city is not usual to them, and even less on 37" tires.

Let me know if you'd like to me to send you the TSB's that I have (downloaded them in 12-2014) - they'll give you an idea what might be done. Also, I can probably get the warranty history on my truck, a 2012 that's already gone through the stuff, and send it to you. That might help your dealer figure out what needs to be done.

If you want the most updated info, online the best source I've found is the mitsu tech site. It's pay, but you can get a short term account and then download manuals, TSB's, body builder guides, etc. I did that when I got my truck, promptly downloaded everything, and it's been a definite help.
What is the link to that? The TSB's are also there? I will definitely go and get the latest versions.

drudru

Observer
FYI.

The barb fitting that is easily broken is shown in the attached photo. The pump assembly is located on top of the DEF tank. A replacement pump will run around $900 USD, so be careful working around it without a body mounted on the chassis. A mounted body will offer protection against inadvertently leaning or dropping something on it.

View attachment 281658

Looking back on a past posting, it looks 'drudru' might have found this out first hand;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-frame-for-the-Bigfoot?p=1805465#post1805465

Yep, first hand...and with bruises and a sore wrist to account for it. A drill kicked, flipped 270° and smashed my friend's hand between the drill handle and the barb fitting. All for a hole being drilled in the wrong spot due to miscommunication. Your 900$US is a 1300$CA.

Czechsix

It was my general understanding too, I was under the feeling that as much as the tech at the dealership is knowledgeable, a FG140 in the city is not usual to them, and even less on 37" tires.

What is the link to that? The TSB's are also there? I will definitely go and get the latest versions.

Go to http://fusotechinfo.com/. There's a one day term that you can sign up for, $25. It's worth it...especially since the service manuals are on it, TSB's, and other things. Log on and head over to the library...which reminds me I probably should do an update also.

The other thing is...how is this an FG140? Isn't it an FGB87?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
The tires were recommended by Kym Bolton of goannatracks.com (and I believe the owner of the original Earthcruiser?)

Kym Bolton and Lance Gillies started EarthCruiser together in 2008. Kym left EarthCruiser with EC3 to travel. There are now over 50 ECs travelling the world..

We asked about the diff ratio as its important to know before choosing wheel and tire upgrades as it affects the final drive ratio (which is different in different markets). The 315/R75s we use coupled with the 5.714 diff ratio works out close to the standard Fuso high ratio diff. We have a number of customers in other markets using the 37" tires which is more suitable to their final drive ratios.

drudru

Observer
Go to http://fusotechinfo.com/. There's a one day term that you can sign up for, $25. It's worth it...especially since the service manuals are on it, TSB's, and other things. Log on and head over to the library...which reminds me I probably should do an update also.

On the page for registration http://fusotechinfo.com/Order1.asp It states: "The information contained on this website currently pertains to the 2008 model year FE and FG Fuso models only."

The other thing is...how is this an FG140? Isn't it an FGB87?
Not sure...Dealers here (Quebec) call them either FG140 FG4X4. Here is the page of my dealer: http://www.globocam.ca/en/new-trucks/Fuso-FG-2015/12414978#.VTuuA5OrFaw
Maybe they change the name in 2012 when they went with the Duonic?

Czechsix

On the page for registration http://fusotechinfo.com/Order1.asp It states: "The information contained on this website currently pertains to the 2008 model year FE and FG Fuso models only."

Not sure...Dealers here (Quebec) call them either FG140 FG4X4. Here is the page of my dealer: http://www.globocam.ca/en/new-trucks/Fuso-FG-2015/12414978#.VTuuA5OrFaw
Maybe they change the name in 2012 when they went with the Duonic?

Regarding the date info on the fusotech site...it carries info up to 2013. I see that Fuso is right on top of things, kinda like M-B is (/sarcasm). I say that because I emailed back and forth to Fuso U.S.A. and one of their tech folks said they would change that to reflect the correct info, right away....that was months ago. IAC, it has the 2008 and 2012 workshop manuals, and according to them (?!?), the 2012 is the last version, still working for current trucks. (but I know there have been changes...they're just not updating them on the tech site, which sucks, because it's being used by commercial service places). I'm betting that to get the full packages you'll need to be a dealer, and pay a hefty subscription fee.

The last FG140 designation that I can see looks like 2010. Spec sheets at the bottom of this page http://www.mitfuso.com/en-US/Resources/Literature

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94