Front Wheel Bearing Time: What to replace?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well it's time to tackle my front wheel bearings on my Sport. I have adjusted them before which worked for quite awhile but at 130k miles on the stockers it's probably time to replace them. My front brakes are fine but it doesn't cost much for parts so I'm going to go ahead and replace the front discs/pads while I'm in there. I plan on keeping Scooby for a very long time as I'm the second owner and it has every record since new.......plus it only has 130k miles on it.

Here's my parts list: Please tell me if there's anything else I should do while I'm in there.
Permatex 85188 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube
ACDelco 17D723C Professional Durastop Ceramic Front Disc Brake Pad Set
ACDelco 18A852 Professional Durastop Front Disc Brake Rotor Assembly x2
Wilmar W1270 Ford/Gm 4 Wheel Drive Lock Nut Tool (modified to fit)
Allstar ALL78241 Timken Brand Premium Red Type Wheel Bearing Grease 16 oz. Tub
Timiken bearing SET47 x 4
TIMKEN Part # 225875 wheel seal x 2
RTV

Also getting a seal puller. I figure I can reinsert the races and seals using an old race/wood block and a rubber mallet. Same for the wheel seals.

One question I have is the spindle seal.....where is it located and should I replace it? It comes up on rock auto but I can't seem to locate it in a parts diagram.

Other thoughts? I also have Aisin manual hubs instead of a drive flange.

2011-11-13_175950_fronthub.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Spindle seal will be on the backside of the rotor/hub, and you should always replace it when replacing bearings. Usually a moot point as it will often get a bit bent when pulling it from the rotor anyway.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Never heard of a wheel seal. Sounds like some sort of goop that comes in a pressurized can.

Here's a more or less typical assembly (in general - not Mitsu specific):

2_13_2012_8_39_39_pm.gif

They call the seal a "grease seal", and they call the bearing races "cups".

But as you can see - no matter what they call it, there is only the one seal that fits around the base of the spindle. After you install the grease packed inner bearing, you bang in the seal and slide the hub assembly onto the spindle.

The only gotcha is that at the base of the spindle, there is the larger diameter area that the seal fits around - sometimes, that has a sharp edge which can cut the seal. I added a red arrow to show where. I usually check it and give it a quick pass to smooth it a touch if it has a sharp edge.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks, the grease seal is the same as the wheel seal. As for the spindle seal, I just didn't order one and will see when I get in there.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The area is red is the place to check for a sharp edge. The area in yellow I usually polish up with an emory cloth to make sure it's a nice smooth place for the seal to rotate on. I also usually use my finger to paint on just a thin layer of grease so the seal doesn't start out dry after assembly:

qu20227sg.jpg

plh

Explorer
The spindle seal is on the back side of the spindle. DWH is referencing the wheel seal. There are 2 different seals on a Montero (including Sport). You will need to pull the CV shaft to change the spindle seal.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The spindle seal is on the back side of the spindle. DWH is referencing the wheel seal. There are 2 different seals on a Montero (including Sport). You will need to pull the CV shaft to change the spindle seal.

Ahh. I think of that one as a gasket...

EDIT: Or wait...is that a seal around the CV shaft itself?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What is this for:
Wilmar W1270 Ford/Gm 4 Wheel Drive Lock Nut Tool
81FRs-qLV2L._SY355_.jpg

And why do you have to modify it?

plh

Explorer
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0523448 {#MB160850}
Front Inner; AT KNUCKLE

This is for the Gen 1 thru Gen 2.5 Montero. I assume the Sport is the same. But double check.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Done. Not a bad job at all....only hang up was amazon sent me the wrong discs which I didn't notice till I got everything back together. Luckily the local parts store had a pair in stock and I got extra practice by basically doing it twice....the joy!

Leeson

Hey can anybody get me a part number for the hub dust cap, part number 2 in OP's picture? I had to destroy mine to get them off they were fused solid to the hub. Haven't been able to find it online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier