Help regarding purchasing of Unimog U1700L 1980 model

I agree with the above post. Most Unimogs have a tendency to pump oil from one particular hub (in my case the right rear) through the breather into the diff. Mine sucks 20ml/1000mi or 12.2 ml/1000km> It holds 700ml so every 6000mi I refill it with 120ml (2 syringe fulls). And drain the excess out of the diff. A fix is to have totally independent breathers.

People have had expensive disasters thinking they were OK because no leaks were seen. When I got back from Australia I was shocked to see only about 300ml drain out of a 700ml gearbox; fortunately it did not fail nor did it fail in the subsequent 12000 miles.
My 906LA in perfect (?) condition burns 1L oil in every 2500mi=4000km.

Charlie

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Hello Mike,

Thank you for informative comments:)
I myself live in The southern part of Norway (Lyngdal).

My father will be traveling together with me in his camper (1972 Hanomag Henchel F55 with OM314, better known as Mercedes 508), so you could say that we are quite used to long distance traveling with old trucks. I also belive that we are as good prepared as we can be. Amongst other things we will cary a complete toolbox, aditional oil for engine, gearbox and portal hubs, greasegun, brake fluid, jack, tow rod and rope, complete workshop manual+++ Al fluids will also be changed before I leave the seller.

Regarding the temperature in the hubs and differentials i belive it would be a good thing to invest in a infrared thermometer as you suggested. I will try to get one before I leave. But anyway as far as I have been able to read from various sources it seems that the U1700L with it's reinforced axles isn't as prone to fail due too overheating hubs, since the portal hubs here are redesigned compared to the standard ex-bundeswehr U1300L. But time will tell how it turns out in reality! Also thank you for the emergency tip about filling the portal hubs with grease. Hopefully I won't need it, but it's a nice trick to know about just in case.

I'll keep you informed about the progress, I'm excited for the trip!:sombrero:

Vegard_S

Adventurer
My 906LA in perfect (?) condition burns 1L oil in every 2500mi=4000km.

My fathers Hanomag F55 with OM 314 (basically a OM352 with four cylinders) burns aprox. 1L = 3000km

I think the workshop manual say that it is acceptable that those engines burns use up to 1L /1000km, also straigth out of the factory.

Mike Hill

Hello Mike,

Thank you for informative comments:)
I myself live in The southern part of Norway (Lyngdal).

My father will be traveling together with me in his camper (1972 Hanomag Henchel F55 with OM314, better known as Mercedes 508), so you could say that we are quite used to long distance traveling with old trucks. I also belive that we are as good prepared as we can be. Amongst other things we will cary a complete toolbox, aditional oil for engine, gearbox and portal hubs, greasegun, brake fluid, jack, tow rod and rope, complete workshop manual+++ Al fluids will also be changed before I leave the seller.

Regarding the temperature in the hubs and differentials i belive it would be a good thing to invest in a infrared thermometer as you suggested. I will try to get one before I leave. But anyway as far as I have been able to read from various sources it seems that the U1700L with it's reinforced axles isn't as prone to fail due too overheating hubs, since the portal hubs here are redesigned compared to the standard ex-bundeswehr U1300L. But time will tell how it turns out in reality! Also thank you for the emergency tip about filling the portal hubs with grease. Hopefully I won't need it, but it's a nice trick to know about just in case.

I'll keep you informed about the progress, I'm excited for the trip!:sombrero:

Sounds like it will be a fun trip alright! I am going to Denmark in my Mog to collect a funkkabine this summer.Don't be tempted to tow your truck too far if you loose drive,the gear box is lubricated by a pump that sits pretty high on the gear box.Pulling it off the Autobahn would be alright but just don't push it.

Vegard_S

Adventurer
I am happy to say that everything went alright with the purchase o f the Unimog and that the 1650km returntrip from Germany to Norway went allright.:) No mechanical issues at all!:sombrero: The Unimog is now safely parked at home, and I am looking forward to start my camper build! Pictures and a seperate buildt thread will soon arrive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94