Full Sized Trailer Tug SUV: Ford vs. Chevy vs. Toyota vs. Nissan - input sought...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What's in the Z71 package besides a lot of **************' stickers? :D

Depends on the year but typically from what I've seen the Z1 includes some more off pavement type stuff couple of extra shields typically a step up in shock quality and I think most have a rear locker or could be bought with a rear locker. Pretty sure all Z1 packages come with any of the towing stuff already on them also. The non Z1 versions were basically all the same just different interior trim levels and didn't have some of the skid/rock shields and upgraded shocks. That and the ability to have the locker.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When it comes to towing, I always prefer "more" truck. Need pics of trailers you're interested in. I hate towing anywhere near 5000 with half ton trucks, and even worse, SUV's.

Excursion
Suburban 2500

Air springs are very nice things to have. Also keep in mind, a CC LWB truck does everything better than the SUV's. Park outside with the trailer or get a bigger garage.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My z71 included skid plates underneath for the trans, transfer case and the engine, plus upgraded shocks and springs/torsions and some more stuff.

Worth the price of admission. Now, I have my shocks replaced with Monroe reflex monotubes because my originals were done.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
My MIL's '03 Tahoe LT (fully loaded) has 230k miles and the only things that it has needed has been an alternator (just replaced) and a waterpump (replaced 10k ago). The front end is all stock and original. Just got back from Baja, a 3500 mile trip that it makes at least two times a year. Still runs and drives
like new. It is starting to show it's age with the whiz bang stuff, but my in-laws are at that point where they are minimally maintaining it.

Jack

kojackJKU

I hated the suburban when I had the stock shocks and the pro comp 9000s. Now that I have the Monroe monotubes, It totally transformed the rig into an awesome handling and riding rig. Next up is a leveling lift kit, 285s on H3 wheels, and then if needed a set of wheel spacers. That will be it for the running gear besides normal wear items.

Binksman

Observer
I can give some input on the Armada, Tahoe, and Expedition.

The Armada, like the Titan, has one of the most spacious seat areas I've ever been in. I like have room to move around, I'm not a small guy, and on trips I usually carry a lot of stuff. The engine in acceptable for the size of the vehicle, the transmission is adequate. Sorry, I didn't experience a 4x4. But like the Titan, the build quality is cheap, cheap, cheap. The full size Nissans are the first examples that come to mind when when someone talks about poorly fitting, easily broken plastic interiors and body components.

The Tahoe is a good truck, but short on room in the second row. If room is important and your garage will fit, just get the Suburban. Say what you like about Chevys (and I'm a Dodge/Toyota guy), they are generally reliable and they get the job done. Mods are easy to buy and just about anything you can imagine has been done already, so you just need to google whatever mod you are interested in.

The Expedition is similiar to the Tahoe in that it gets the job done with little complaint, but I've never liked the engines in those trucks. They just seem to always be working a little harder than they should be for their size. The one I drove did ride more comfortably than the Tahoe, but it also had a slighly lower cargo capacity and tow rating.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, my seat-of-the-pants research really seem to be favoring the Tahoe over the others. The IRS on the Armada and Expedition worries me somewhat, and while I like the Sequoia, my big issue is that 08+ models are way out of my price range, hard to find and fugly. I'm trying to stay under 150k miles and that's tough to do on a vehicle that is approaching 9 model years old.
Are there any known weaknesses in the 5.3 V8 or 4 speed auto to worry about? And any reason to prefer the GMT900 platform (2007 and up) over the earlier Tahoe? I was reading a little on Edmunds and apparently the 900's have a double-wishbone suspension where the previous models were torsion bars. Not planning on lifting so I don't know that this is a real concern. Supposedly the 2007+ models have cylinder-shutoff technology that's supposed to result in better MPG - is there any real-world difference and if so, is it offset by additional complexity? Are the 2006 - earlier 5.3's flex fuel?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My last few vehicle purchases / hunts I learned to be patient and be willing to travel.

3 month search
450 mile away original pearl white limited Sequoia 68,000 miles seller was asking too much but I was close to making the trip when a local one surfaced called them about 20 minutes after they had listed it 64,000 mile limited original owner, had it home the next morning.

Grandpas Dream ride. 2005 SLK 350 LOADED found it 1000 miles away original owner no joke 13,000 miles on it. Flew out two days later seller dropped it at a performance shop that day for alignment per an inspection I paid $200 for via local friend. Met the seller at the bank, did the papers, went to lunch, picked up the car and blasted home. Who knew those cars had 18gallon tanks and will get 29mpg at 80mph??? Fun trip home, its been a great car gramps loves it.

My dads rare G35X with rosewood dash was tough to find, took 4 months. Finally found it 2hrs away 40,000 mile car pristine, all records, new tires, new brakes, drove it home. Every case the seller was fair on price and I had the money easy deal.

The dealers I delt with were all *******s selling ****ty cars no records for way high asking prices. Never!!!! Buy used from a dealer!!!! NEVER!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
The standard 5.3L vortec is not, but there was a flex fuel variant offered thru much of the 2000s.

The Z71, mostly accessories. The tube rail / step works nice and seems to maintain more clearance than the sideboard arrangement. The roof rack is also a bit more robust, has a nice roller bar at the back if you want to haul a canoe / skiff or want to get large planks, ladder up there.. Good set of skid plates. The rest of it can be thought of as 'LT package, plus'

The Z-71 package for Suburban includes

Limited slip rear differential, leather seats, steering wheel mounted radio controls, driver info center, mirror mounted signals, automatic day/night rear view mirror, pass. side tilt down back up aid, cargo cover and mat, cargo net, tubular side steps roof rack lower body moldings, color keyed grille and bumpers, wheel flares, color keyed door handles and mirrors, skid plates, trailer package, P265/70R17 on/off road tires, special heavy duty shocks, machined cast alloy wheels.

Last edited:

TeamWild

Observer
My Brother in law had a 2007 GMC suburban with a 5.3 in it. They had some engine issues. The pistons were replaced under warranty because of it burning oil. Later in its life at 105,000 the engine let go. He ended up trading it and getting a newer/used trade in suburban. So far he has an oil leak on the new burb, its a 2012 I think. My friend had a 06 burb with the 5.3 and had some issues with it and the dealer replaced a valve spring that broke. He traded it in for a newer burb as well.

joelbert

Adventurer
Addressing not the Tug SUV, but the future potential tow

I own an Airstream, but if I were to do it over again, the Oliver (preferred) or Casita would be the way I would go. Just my $.02.

78Bronco

Explorer
Our '04 Expedition serves us well for camping and soccer mom duties.

Can tow about 10k, seating for 8, comfortable, 9.75" 34 spline rear diff, 8.8" high pinion front diff, 35" tires clear with 2" lift.

Very happy with our SUV built like a truck.

kojackJKU

I have swapped the brakes on my 05 suburban with Napa premium. They rock, they provide better stopping power, NO RUST, and wear like......IRON. I have zero issues with the 5.3, had my trans drop out, but that was because it was being used as a plow rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online