1989 4runner build

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Great job, it's turning out really nice! The body looks nice from your pics, I didn't see any rust, just curious why you want to replace the panels with fiberglass?...or are you going to go with the wider flared or the high clearance fenders/quarter panels?

The drivers side rear quarter has a large dent and is rusting around taillight area from not being painted after it was dented. Also, both rear wheel wells are rusting as is the front passenger fender well. Depending on how far tire sticks out using the blazeland kit I might end up going with the 3" flared fenders.

zidaro

Explorer
Looking sweet!
taken it out for a spin yet with the new ponies?

Im stalled out in the middle of a 3.4 swap in my '87. 22re to 3.4. Cant wait to hear how you like it. Need motivation to get back at it (and some time-n-$$)

Keep the details rolling!!
It was an 89 V6? so used 3.4 motor mounts on your stock bases?
Auto trans from the 89?
Dash wire in smooth with Mikes Harness?

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Looking sweet!
taken it out for a spin yet with the new ponies?

Im stalled out in the middle of a 3.4 swap in my '87. 22re to 3.4. Cant wait to hear how you like it. Need motivation to get back at it (and some time-n-$$)

Keep the details rolling!!
It was an 89 V6? so used 3.4 motor mounts on your stock bases?
Auto trans from the 89?
Dash wire in smooth with Mikes Harness?

I have not driven it yet, should be driving it this weekend as I just need to put my dash back together, install winch bumper, and 4.56 thirds.
Yes it was a V6 and I am using the auto trans from the 89.
The wiring was very easy with mikes harness. The only issue was mounting all the wires behind the ECU as I had to remove my light reminder box and the electric door box which I moved to the glove box. Without that I have no idea how you could possibly fit everything.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Got some time to work on the rig again and was able to reinstall the dash. I am still trying to figure out why the engine has a weird noise. I thought at first that it could be the belt rubbing on the timing cover, but I removed it an now it seems like the noise is coming from under the valve cover possibly. I heard this engine run before I purchased it and it had no such noise. I tried to video the sound, but it is hard to hear. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? the sound is almost like what it sounds like when you are low on powersteering fluid.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I did a timing belt job on my old 3.0 a couple of years ago and I remember a noise similar to what you're describing. I think it gradually went away or I got completely used to it. Maybe the new belt had to break in on the pulleys or something? I chased it around for a while and finally gave up and drove it.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Well figured out the noise I was getting, turned out to be the power steering pump. So now that I have that taken care of I just need to wire in my temperature gauge for the tranny and swap in the 4.56 gears and I should be good to start driving it. I will drive it for about a week to make sure everything is working and then I can sell my 1988 4runner to fund the blazeland long travel kit :victory:

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Welded up the front frame reinforcement plate for the winch bumper. It was quite the project as the plate holes did not match up with all the holes on the frame nor did they match up to the mounting holes on the bumper. If I were to do it again I would have just cut my own plate instead of ordering one. I used a air die grinder and was able to get all the holes to match up good enough.

Will install the bumper and winch today after work.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
I also got my transmission temperature gauge installed, but found the gauge was faulty and should have the new one tomorrow to hopefully have that installed. The OEM radiator shroud also does not fit the new radiator I purchased that was supposed to be a direct drop in :Wow1: So I will have to see if I can figure out something else for that, before spending the money on an electric fan. Seems to be the theme for this build.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Worked on mounting the front bumper, but one of the body mount mounting holes is off so I need to fix that. Also, the tube from the bumper is in the way of the mounting hole on the frame to the point I cant even turn the bolt :mad: Not very happy with the bumper or front winch plate as both have needed modification to get to work.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
Got the 4.56 rear third installed and just waiting for the abs plug so I can get it registered at dmv and start driving it. Before swapping in the rear 4.56 third I was driving around the yard I noticed the tires rub pretty bad in the front and the front suspension is sagged almost to the bump stops. I ordered OME torsion bars and will be installing those this weekend and that should fix that problem. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles