Be aware of a new 2013 FG

rffarm

Posting this note to anyone that may be looking for a newer FG:

After finding a local dealer in the Pittsburgh, PA area, we put a deposit down on a 2013 FG, VIN JL6BSE1A0DK001707. It was sitting in the Jacksonville, FL area since being offloaded.
Dealer advised us that truck was to be delivered on 4/9/15, and would be prepped for us.

3 hour drive to dealer, and what we found was a mess. The truck indeed only had 26 miles on it. But, the chassis was badly rusted and all the hose clamps were severely rusted. Then we flipped open the cab only to find that every seam weld was rusted. The worse damage was where the cab sits on the shock/air bumpers. Not only was cab rusted at that point, but the metal had actually started to flake back several inches around the openings, and de-laminating.

Dealer had a body shop person look at it to determine if it could be repaired. Body man indicated that the badly rusted areas on the cab could be cut out, and new plates welded back. Not the way we wanted to start with a 'new' vehicle, so we had to walk away.

This truck is out there, so be aware of these items. I don't know at this point if the dealer still has it, or not. Check the VIN above, before making a purchase on this vehicle.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Good info. Lucky that the FUSO has a snorkel such that the engine may have been spared from the apparent flooding this baby saw.:snorkel:

Jason911

Adventurer
Saw a brand new 2013 Fuso 4x4 just north of Milwaukee, WI two weeks ago. Richfield Service I think was the place, if your still looking for one.

rffarm

Not so sure about a Fuso anymore. I know this is just one bad experience and lots of folks on the forum are happy with them. But when hose clamps are rusted, it makes me a little suspect about quality.

We'll regroup and come up with another plan.

Like Abe Lincoln said - the best way to predict the future, is to create it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I hear what you are saying and believe that all of these "smart engine systems" will have a serious affect on their ability to be really viable expedition vehicles.

My FG84 (FG140 equivalent) has way more electronics than I would prefer, but the emission systems on it are reasonably basic, having only an EGR and a catalytic converter built into the muffler. I can live with that, but I would have to think very hard before getting one of the latest generation. At least in Australia we get a manual gearbox and hi/low transfer case on the current model, unlike you guys that only have the option of a Duonic automatic gearbox and no low range.

dlh62c

Explorer
The thread title should be changed to read; 'Be aware of a new 2013 FG for sale in PA.'

This bad apple needs to be singled out from the whole bucket.

Regarding truck offloading; I believe this is done at Long Beach CA.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Not so sure about a Fuso anymore. I know this is just one bad experience and lots of folks on the forum are happy with them. But when hose clamps are rusted, it makes me a little suspect about quality.

We'll regroup and come up with another plan.

Fuso's aren't for everybody. From a another thread and post, you've already placed an order for SRWs and a Aluminess bumper, so it sounds like you've made a investment in the effort.

Is there something else that's changing your mind?

Did you test drive it while you were there?

Last edited:

Heidi

It sounds like this one was offloaded into the bay missing the dock completely. That sort of serious rust sounds like direct contact with sea water.

I believe there are very few if any vehicles made to remain unaffected by salt water immersion.
My guess is this poor truck had a bad ocean crossing experience.

rffarm

Did not test drive this specific vehicle; too pissed off to even climb in the cab.

I did test drive a similar vehicle, earlier, that was modified as a dump truck, from the dealer. Yes, I put the cart in front of the horse and ordered the SRW's from ATW in Fresno. They were very understanding, so no re-stocking fee. I will eat the shipping - gulp.

I am still going to stick with Aluminess, as they have a great product, across several brands and great customer service.

I've included the VIN number on the original post. Please advise, if I need to be more specific. Seems like Fuso 4x4 folks really check this great formum, before any action.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I think the VIN is going to be enough. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear about this truck showing up at an auction though. Wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened.

Thanks for the heads up.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
This specific truck seems like a problem with the dealer not the Fuso itself. Why a dealer would even show a customer a truck that has possibly taken a bath in salt water or has suffered some other serious incident is beyond comprehension. Obviously we're a bit biased towards the Fuso but I'd not throw the baby out with the bath water -lol. I'd just look for a better dealer.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
For some reason this kinda reminds me of a certain U1300L mog that's out there....?

Somehow...that truck took a bath at one time, and fuso isn't fessing up. It might be beyond comprehension...but then again I've seen dealers do plenty of things that are beyond comprehension. Might well have been an honest mistake too, compounded by crappy communication, which Mitsu seems to be good at.

rffarm

Totally agree that it was a dealer rooted problem. This dealer was totally driven by quarterly profits. He had even stated on 3/31 he would drive the 3 hours to our house to pick up a check, for a vehicle we had never seen. After relaying this was ridiculous, he relented. I told him repeatedly that we would be going on vacation one day prior to delivery, so take time with the vehicle, and verify it was ok.

He decided to rush it, vs. fixing issues that we may never have known about, until later. It cost him a sale, and me a couple months of dream building.

Ultimately, I wish Fuso had some competition in the cab forward, 4X4 market in the US. I do believe that the cab forward design allows for greater flexibility in payload and total living space.

So, we'll continue on our quest, but now the question is - Dodge or Ford?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94