ARB locker issue?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I installed an ARB locker in the back of my Disco 2. It was used when I got it.

I air tested it before I installed it and i could hear it engage the locker.

I don't have a compressor line hooked up just yet. I've been installing the compressor as time allows me. But I've noticed there is a lot of differential oil coming out of the Air Line hook up on the third member. I don't think it should be doing this. Do you think its the locker that has a fault or maybe the breather line is clogged up causing the pressure to come out of the air line?

Thanks

morrisdl

Adventurer
I think you will get more responsive replies in an arb forum. Not a ton of locked rovers. From what I have read oil up the actuator line is somewhat common. Why not plug it?

psykokid

Explorer
Lol.. lots more locked rovers than you would think. Anyhow, I'd check your axle breathers and make sure they are clear first. Since your air line is the path of least resistance if the breather is clogged it makes sense that gear oil would be forced out with expansion and contraction of the oil in the diff with heat. The reason why gear oil wont come out of the breather is because it is towards the top of the axle housing.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
You may get an answer here, but seriously call ARB direct. They have the absolute best tech department in the industry that I've experienced.

(866) 293-9078

morrisdl

Adventurer
My LR3 actually has an arb rear locker, but think it's a rarity. I was at a LR event last week and only about 10% of the disco IIs seemed to have a locker. I didn't ask if they were oem (if there is a thing) or arb.

Jakes01234

Explorer
When your all hooked up with air. activate the locker and see how long it takes to cycle again. If it cycles every 15 minutes or so then the seals are in OK shape. It could also be a lack of breather like stated above.
If it's just oil in the line then disconnect the line at the diff housing and turn on your locker. This will purge most of the oil out. I do it yearly for the past few years to keep the release mist to a minimum.

fishEH

Explorer
I just pulled my axle breather banjos. I drilled the hole in the axle and tapped for 1/4" NPT. I'm going to use a 90* fitting and run 1/4" SS braided icemaker line for my breathers. :D

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Brett, I like you thinking, I may do that as well.

I'll try the breather thing and go from there. Thanks

psykokid

Explorer
My LR3 actually has an arb rear locker, but think it's a rarity. I was at a LR event last week and only about 10% of the disco IIs seemed to have a locker. I didn't ask if they were oem (if there is a thing) or arb.

Did you install the ARB or does your truck have the HD package with the locking rear diff? Stock locking diff on the LR3 and the ARB are different animals..

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
As Zack said do not be afraid to call ARB. Ask for Buddy King especially. Just got off the phone with him today.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Arb locker

f4df3ee67450b3edf4100cdf9abae49b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94