Would you restore a radiator or buy new?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If it's an all copper/brass radiator, nothing wrong with having it rebuilt if the tanks are in good shape. It's not cheap anymore, can cost nearly the price of a new one. However, at least in the case of Land Rover, you can get a heavier duty core installed and the older tanks are of higher quality that new replacements. No idea what they are like for a Toyota.
I've had two done and have been very happy with them.

huntsonora

Explorer
If it's an all copper/brass radiator, nothing wrong with having it rebuilt if the tanks are in good shape. It's not cheap anymore, can cost nearly the price of a new one. However, at least in the case of Land Rover, you can get a heavier duty core installed and the older tanks are of higher quality that new replacements. No idea what they are like for a Toyota.
I've had two done and have been very happy with them.

This is the direction I'm going, I went down and met with a guy at Fort Collins Radiator and he took a look at it and felt very confident that he could take care of it.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
We live in a throw away buy a new one world now.. More often than not it's cheaper to buy new. Not to mention car parts are meant to be rebuilt any more.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
This is the direction I'm going, I went down and met with a guy at Fort Collins Radiator and he took a look at it and felt very confident that he could take care of it.
I forgot to mention that, for some bizarre reason, no radiator drain is on the Discovery radiators so I had one installed at the same time I had them rebuilt. Clearance was limited so I had to mark the tank (with a center punch, paint might come off during cleaning) before pulling it from the vehicle to make sure nothing would foul it.

mudraider

Adventurer
If it is an all metal original, I'd find a place to rebuild it. These new aluminum tanks, specially cheaper ones, are cheap for a good reason. They are made cheaply.

huntsonora

Explorer
If it is an all metal original, I'd find a place to rebuild it. These new aluminum tanks, specially cheaper ones, are cheap for a good reason. They are made cheaply.

I had it professionally flushed and it runs cooler now. I'm happy I went this route

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If you also had it rodded, keep a close eye on it. Sometimes the tubes can be corroded enough that they are weakened and once all the crud is removed that has been "reinforcing" them from the inside, they can leak. Had that happen to one of mine and had to take it back for a new core a month or two later. The shop I used gave me a credit for the rodding though, towards the price of the recore.

huntsonora

Explorer
If you also had it rodded, keep a close eye on it. Sometimes the tubes can be corroded enough that they are weakened and once all the crud is removed that has been "reinforcing" them from the inside, they can leak. Had that happen to one of mine and had to take it back for a new core a month or two later. The shop I used gave me a credit for the rodding though, towards the price of the recore.

I will definitely keep an eye on that. Thank you.

There was little to no rust in mine, just some white alkaline type substance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz