Rivet nuts??

taco_tay

Adventurer
Most definitely invest in the exact size drill bit that you will need for each rivnut. Also be sure to deburr the hole and if possible paint or rust-proof the hole. Depending on the type of tool you use also helps. The mandrel on mine causes the lip on the rivnut to bubble up so I use a thick washer between the mandrel an the rivnut and in flattens out nicely.

Thanks for the advice! I just picked up a rivnut tool from harbor freight (I know it's not a quality tool and will probably break) but I bought it just to use the tool with quality rivnuts from ace. Well we will see how it works soon. Going to give it a shot later today.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice! I just picked up a rivnut tool from harbor freight (I know it's not a quality tool and will probably break) but I bought it just to use the tool with quality rivnuts from ace. Well we will see how it works soon. Going to give it a shot later today.

Awesome! Home-made rivnut tools also work quite well with practice. Ive used them before. Sometimes you'll have to if its a hard to reach spot. Its a cheap and easy solution. Google or youtube will get you on your way if you need to go that route. Have fun!!

taco_tay

Adventurer
So I bought the tool from harbor freight and it came with a bunch of rivnuts. Obviously I wont trust them so I went to my local ace hardware and they said they don't carry any. Do you guys know where I can pick up some quality rivnuts?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've used them on a carbon fiber mast for a low load windex mount. My only suggestion is do not crank on them given you can break them loose and then they just spin in place. In my appilcation I put a thin aplication of G-flex epoxy on them when I installed them. G-flex was used to assemble the $6000 carbon mast by the way. Work of art thing of beauty. For metal mounted maybe a light coating of JB weld when you mount them to help prevent the break loose aspect when cranking the bolt etc.

Poen

I have been using a high tensile bolt with two nuts and two washers with great success. It may not be fast, but there is no thread distortion.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I've used them on a carbon fiber mast for a low load windex mount. My only suggestion is do not crank on them given you can break them loose and then they just spin in place. In my appilcation I put a thin aplication of G-flex epoxy on them when I installed them. G-flex was used to assemble the $6000 carbon mast by the way. Work of art thing of beauty. For metal mounted maybe a light coating of JB weld when you mount them to help prevent the break loose aspect when cranking the bolt etc.

You drilled holes into a carbon fiber MAST?! You, Sir are a brave man!! Wouldn't that comprise the structural integrity of it? I'm no engineer by any means but masts can break under extreme stress... I figure why help the stress out by creating a weak point. I hope for the sake of your mast and your well being that never happens.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
I install quite a bit of nutserts in my line of work (sometimes 300+ a day), so I have a few pneumatic guns like these that get the job done quickly and easily :cool:

dorkelinstll36.JPG

Only used a handful on my Cruiser though

dorkelinstll38.JPG

dorkelinstll43.JPG

dorkelinstll44.JPG

blueseaswitchmount1.jpg

blueseaswitchmount2.jpg

blueseaswitchmount3.jpg

taco_tay

Adventurer
Well the guy at Ace Hardware that told me they didn't have them was full of it. Picked up some up and tried it out on my trailer. Very sweet. I like them a lot.

JMacs

Observer
The "Grip Fast" brand of rivnuts at Menards do NOT fall into the category of quality rivnuts. Just in case anyone gets any ideas.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I just used rivnuts to reinforce the mounts on my my N-Fab nerf steps. They normally mount through the pinch welds on the rockers and I bent up the mounts when I got stuck last fall. Straightened everything and then drilled through the box section of the rockers from under the truck and set the rivnuts well above the pinch weld to stiffen everything. Worked like a charm and this is the mounting system that N-Fab should recommend. Learned two things: McMaster-Carr was about $23 cheaper than Amazon for the Marson setting tool; and it's really hard to squeeze 1/4-20 HD steel rivnuts while lying under the truck with no good way to grip the tool handles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94