M101-A3 to match my 2001 Suburban 2500

snowblind

Adventurer
Have you fit your tail lights on the rear yet? I wanted to get boxes like that but the bed brackets were in the way. I am just going to use the mil light brackets and replace with LED lights.

I have not fitted them yet. The boxes need to be seam welded so I put them on the back burner.

Matt

dstock

Explorer
I have those lights mounted up on my build, see thread in sig, page 3. I didn't bother with the seam welding and they seem to be fine so far.

snowblind

Adventurer
Rolling!

Been a busyyyyyyyyyyyyy summer for me this year and the trailer got put on the back burner. I got the parts primed and then... But now I'm back at it! The maiden voyage will be in 9 days so it's time to get this party started. I picked up some Hummer H2 wheels with 315/70/17 Geolanders on craigslist. I had hoped to match the 285/70/17 tires already on my Suburban but beggars can't be choosers. With the wheels mounted I could tilt the trailer back on it's tail and get to work re-mounting the front frame.

Getting the arms mounted on the trailer was very difficult. The angles are hard to line up. I found it necessary to first attach the frame arms loosely to the rear bolts and then slide the fronts into the mounts from below. The rear bolts help keep everything aligned at the weird angle the frame needs to fit the mounts. I think it would be close to impossible to bolt on a pre-assembled tongue to one of these trailers.

Here's a couple of pics of the current state. Everything is original military or painted in weldable primer for now. I have two KEY parts arriving this week. An Adventure Trailer tongue jack and custom tarp cover from mytarp.com.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
I have those lights mounted up on my build, see thread in sig, page 3. I didn't bother with the seam welding and they seem to be fine so far.

Hey D.

Yours are a little different in that they have that side marker. Maybe yours are welded more. Mine have very little welding along the face. I can get it done at work for a 6-pack so not a big deal for me.

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
Have you fit your tail lights on the rear yet? I wanted to get boxes like that but the bed brackets were in the way. I am just going to use the mil light brackets and replace with LED lights.

I mocked it up today and I'm going to use the same mounting style as O.E. but with the new boxes. I'll need to fab a bracket but re-using the existing mounting holes simplifies. It will require a thick bracket to be stable but the boxes will basically "float" outside those bed brackets and below the bed.

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
MyTarp.com

Got a SWEET cover from mytarp.com! Many thanks to Mark for the lead on this.

I will eventually need bows, etc but for now I am STOKED!

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

And one shot of everything hooked up. With the 15" Loc N Roll installed the trailer axle is 130" from the hitch. The Suburban wheelbase is also 130"

IMG_0018.jpg

Matt

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Tarp looks great. What did the total end up at?

Pneumatic wheels on my air compressor barely do the job. I used a steel faster for my trailer landing gear. Northern Tool has 4-8" options for under $30.

snowblind

Adventurer
Tarp looks great. What did the total end up at?

Pneumatic wheels on my air compressor barely do the job. I used a steel faster for my trailer landing gear. Northern Tool has 4-8" options for under $30.

Tarp is 18oz vinyl. Nice and heavy. Cost was $135 shipped to me.

I think it may take a while to find a suitable pneumatic wheel...

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
Pelican cases

Hey Gang.

I ran into a steal of a deal on two Pelican 1730 Transport Cases. Normally I wouldn't use cases this nice for camping and I had planned to sell them on but once I had them in hand I realized they would be really nice in the trailer.

Case #1 will hold the 2-burner stove and a bunch of cooking stuff. Case #2 holds a six-person tent, double sleeping bag, double sleeping pad and pillows. Here is a photo of the case with the stove in it and a Sceptre 20L fuel jug for scale. Don't use the lab for scale. She is small. :)

IMG_0001.jpg

Here they are loaded in the trailer next to a Whynter DZ6Q fridge and a Pelican 65Q cooler.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Covers up nicely.

IMG_0012.jpg

Time will tell how effective this approach is but I am excited for now.

Matt

Phoenix

Adventurer
I have two Pelicans and a Hardigg that I keep all my cooking and non-perishable food in. My guess is that you will be trying to figure out a drawer slide in your near future. I have to get one of those tarps, very sharp!

snowblind

Adventurer
I have two Pelicans and a Hardigg that I keep all my cooking and non-perishable food in. My guess is that you will be trying to figure out a drawer slide in your near future. I have to get one of those tarps, very sharp!

The large Pelicans do get heavy... I have the top 1730 loaded with tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags and pillows. It weighs about 1/3 as much as the "kitchen" case.

My commitment to those cases is a commitment to 2-5 person camping in close proximity to the vehicle. :) The 1730s do have wheels on one end so they slide in and out of the trailer without too much difficulty and can be dragged across most surfaces.

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
Pelican 0370 as a Tongue Box

Hey Guys.

Expanding on the Pelicanitis... Acquired a Pelican 0370 Transport Case this weekend in another "to good to pass up scenario". It is a big cube with internal dimensions of 24"x24"x24". I'm contemplating using it as a tongue box.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles