Comparing Discovery Sport and Subaru Outback

LR Max

Local Oaf
Agreed, the Jetta is pretty small back there, unlike the Passat. I looked long and hard at the Passat recently, but still don't have good thoughts on VW durability. Seems hit or miss, some last forever, some are forever under repair.

Here is an interior shot of the GLK backseat with the front seat adjusted to fit me. It's laughable:
View attachment 281998

Side note: I just road in the back of my co-workers Ford F-150 Crew Cab. Those front seats could fit in the footwell of the back seat. Friggen massive.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Good point but no Honda car will ever sit in my garage. Bike yes! Ob yes.. car hell no.. worst car company and dealers Ive ever delt with.

I have a subaru already. Superior company and dealers to Honda from a car buyer standpoint.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Side note: I just road in the back of my co-workers Ford F-150 Crew Cab. Those front seats could fit in the footwell of the back seat. Friggen massive.

I had a cherry 80 series. Great truck. Costly but great. Im over it my 07 Sequioa is a better truck, mileage engine and space.

Jwestpro

Explorer
...as good as they may be, they do not fit the category of "premium" in any way. They are more mundane on the interior than the LR3, and do not hold a candle to the Audi's, Lexus, BMW's, etc in which they compete on price (again, speaking of the interiors only). Good car, wrong category.

I disagree. The Subaru model makes a big difference here whereas in the LR3, they were really pretty much the same aside from having NAV or not. I had a 2007 Outback "LL.Bean" model which was a 3.0R, fully loaded, touch screen nav - better than lr3, leather - better than lr3, seat shape and general comfort - better, warmer seat heating ;) It came with a skinny spare but I stuffed a matching full size and wheel in the same space. It was a great car really and especially when you consider it cost low $30's I think where same year LR3 was $55k. Hell, the same year I bought a 2004 Disco and the '07 Subaru for about what I spent on the LR3...

Now, is it the right "category" ? NO. You'd have to also consider the Volvo XC70, but then also the XC90, they are more alike than comparing to the LR Disco sport.

Does the Disco Sport have air suspension option? If so, then it's nearest most recent wagon alignment is the 2005 Audi allroad ;) Do not forget how awesome that car was! Either engine, the lovely 4.2 Audi V8 or the very tunable bi-turbo V6. Massive ground clearance, very solidly built chassis. Weak air suspension but fairly affordable upgradable to the Arnott version, and better handling.

Some of these heavier wagons actually have decent towing ability, especially when trailer is balanced well. The Audi will adjust for heavy tongue where the XC70 and Subaru will not, unless you get crazy with a fancy WD hitch, but that's another tangent. Heck, my BMW 535x9 wagon is rated for 3500 so that's not really a big deal for any longer wheelbase heavy wagon. Granted mine has only 6-7" or so clearance.

The Sport will probably sell really well. This is because Americans love fun toys that don't really do a whole lot functionally. By that I mean not a whole lot of interior space but just enough for most people who in my opinion, don't "do" much on their trips, or for very long, or go anywhere AAA won't come to rescue you from. While the sport toy may go just far enough to get you out of most AAA range, you won't be able to take enough with you to survive very long ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
So I'm thinking find a gently used GLK250 Bluetec 2014 with the refreshed upgraded interior, put some better off road oriented tires on it. Have a rack and a full sized spare stashed then when I get a free pass weekend I can pack up the GLK and go! I've done the same with the Jetta even slept in it with the seats down not ideal but for a quick weekend trip it worked. Jetta lacked the dirt road ability though which was a downer.

Wow, I think the Jetta sportwagon actually has a lot more space than a GLK and costs WAY less. I think the GLK is an awesome joke on the buyer. Spend a lot, get basically nothing for it. No matter what point in the deprecation, something else is always a better value.

Consider this, next year VW is bringing the Golf alltrac wagon....it is very likely also to be in tdi, and maybe a 6 spd if that's your sort of thing. I realize some years of VW are not as reliable as others, but exactly how truly reliable, past warranty, are the GLK....? Picture the VW Golf alltrac, with something like a 245/50x18 tire, TDI, 8-9" ground clearance (partially due to oversized tire, 45 mpg (if TDI), and maybe ~$38k new. Pretty cool. GLK, well, a bit prissy I think and I could not even begin to deal with that lack of space.

GHR

Observer
Like others have noted, Outback is great car, but different category. On a practical basis it would make sense, perhaps the Forester XT would be the better choice, closer off road specs to the Discovery Sport and better off the line performance. The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk would be the better choice if off road capability was most important to you, and likely similar or better reliability than the Discovery. I think both still have some challenges on the 9sp transmission, but getting close. Trailhawk is nice, but again not really a luxury vehicle.

Navman

Adventurer
The Outback and the Discovery are both at the top of my list to replace my aging Outback. The rear seat room adjustability in the DS is a huge bonus for me as my 13 year old is already 6ft tall. Not sure why others haven't done something similar yet.

No, it's not as capable as an LR3/4, but that why I have an LR3. I need something to get my by for a few years until the new Defender is ready.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Outback and the Discovery are both at the top of my list to replace my aging Outback. The rear seat room adjustability in the DS is a huge bonus for me as my 13 year old is already 6ft tall. Not sure why others haven't done something similar yet.

No, it's not as capable as an LR3/4, but that why I have an LR3. I need something to get my by for a few years until the new Defender is ready.

The 2010 and newer OBs have huge back seats. If your kids are tall the new OB probably sets the standard for rear seat room. I dont see how anyone can find more space without increasing wheelbase or decreasing space for the driver. Only so much you can do with a given wheel base length.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The 2010 and newer OBs have huge back seats. If your kids are tall the new OB probably sets the standard for rear seat room. I dont see how anyone can find more space without increasing wheelbase or decreasing space for the driver. Only so much you can do with a given wheel base length.
My wife drives a 15' Limited, and it not only has some of the best back seating I have sat in , but what a great handling car.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My wife drives a 15' Limited, and it not only has some of the best back seating I have sat in , but what a great handling car.

Yep. We replaced our 01 with the 2010 for the space. The 01 was going strong at 180,000, I would have been just fine keeping it had it not been so cramped. 2000-2009 was the same platform with minor tweaks they all had a tight back seat. 2010 ground up redesign fixed that issue big time. Huge difference between the 09 and earlier models and the 2010 and newer models.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Yep. We replaced our 01 with the 2010 for the space. The 01 was going strong at 180,000, I would have been just fine keeping it had it not been so cramped. 2000-2009 was the same platform with minor tweaks they all had a tight back seat. 2010 ground up redesign fixed that issue big time. Huge difference between the 09 and earlier models and the 2010 and newer models.

Its great to hear of the mileage you got out of your 01'. I was so against her getting a Subaru, her last car was a ML350 (I work for Ford) so buy a FORD!! but after having it for 6 months, I must say its been one of the best cars we have owned.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its great to hear of the mileage you got out of your 01'. I was so against her getting a Subaru, her last car was a ML350 (I work for Ford) so buy a FORD!! but after having it for 6 months, I must say its been one of the best cars we have owned.

180,000 and we beat the crap out of it. We raced sailboats so towed boats up and down the west coast, wife did triatholons so if it wasnt hauling race boats we were packed full of tri gear headed off some place.
The 2010 sees lots of towing and packed full trips with two kids in tow. We hope to see 200k out of this one.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I disagree. The Subaru model makes a big difference here whereas in the LR3, they were really pretty much the same aside from having NAV or not. I had a 2007 Outback "LL.Bean" model which was a 3.0R, fully loaded, touch screen nav - better than lr3, leather - better than lr3, seat shape and general comfort - better, warmer seat heating ;) ...

Now, is it the right "category" ? NO. You'd have to also consider the Volvo XC70, but then also the XC90, they are more alike than comparing to the LR Disco sport.

I think its interesting to define what is meant or perceived by Premium. In sports cars, premium has to do with performance, price and obtainability. Is a McLaren P1 a better car than the Ferrari 488GTB? Or a Porche 918? Hard to tell, honestly, though I think the 918 is the top dog right now, but I digress from my point.

My point is, to me, this category of mid-size "Premium" crossover sport-ute is NOT about performance and capabilities. They are all relatively similar, though some may be slightly more rough road friendly (Discovery Sport) than on-road oriented (BMX X3/4/5). If the description is "premium" then to me it is primarily about the interior environment, and driving pleasure. I thought perhaps I could discern this simply by looking at photos, but you can't.

In my opinion, the BMX X5 interior is simply amazing. You have to sit in it to feel it. It's like the difference between a good pair of Italian made shoes, and maybe a decent store brand, like Clarks. Clarks are great shoes. Quality leather, excellent fit, long lasting. They are the Subaru of this category. But when you try on a hand made pair of Salvatore Ferragamo Italia's, its just a world of difference. They might look similar, but the feel is indescribably different.

Using another analogy, it's like good sporting shotguns. You can tangibly feel the differences between a $5k Beretta verses a $30k Perazzi. Both are excellent, both suitable to the task, both yield similar results, both are similar in appearance, but the Perazzi exquisitely better, with a tangible feel to it that is superior.

Here is a study of interior cabins between the makes discussed. Hard to define what is superior based on the photos alone, but sit in them, and you can tell, without question or hesitation, how they rank in terms of a premium feel.

Land Rover Discovery Sport
new-2015-land-rover-discovery.jpg

Volvo XC90
85711-volvo-xc90-interieur-11.jpg

Mercedes GLK350
2015-GLK-CLASS-GLK350-SUV-016-CCF-D.jpg

Subaru Outback
2015-Subaru-Outback-interior.jpg

Lexus NX
14-07-06-lexus-interior-nx-metal.jpg

BMX X5
Bmw-X5-2015-Interior.jpg

Land Rover LR3 (just for comparison purposes - IMHO its the bottom of the list of "premium" interiors)
Land_Rover-LR3_2005_1600x1200_wallpaper_0c.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think its interesting to define what is meant or perceived by Premium. In sports cars, premium has to do with performance, price and obtainability. Is a McLaren P1 a better car than the Ferrari 488GTB? Or a Porche 918? Hard to tell, honestly, though I think the 918 is the top dog right now, but I digress from my point.

My point is, to me, this category of mid-size "Premium" crossover sport-ute is NOT about performance and capabilities. They are all relatively similar, though some may be slightly more rough road friendly (Discovery Sport) than on-road oriented (BMX X3/4/5). If the description is "premium" then to me it is primarily about the interior environment, and driving pleasure. I thought perhaps I could discern this simply by looking at photos, but you can't.

In my opinion, the BMX X5 interior is simply amazing. You have to sit in it to feel it. It's like the difference between a good pair of Italian made shoes, and maybe a decent store brand, like Clarks. Clarks are great shoes. Quality leather, excellent fit, long lasting. They are the Subaru of this category. But when you try on a hand made pair of Salvatore Ferragamo Italia's, its just a world of difference. They might look similar, but the feel is indescribably different.

Using another analogy, it's like good sporting shotguns. You can tangibly feel the differences between a $5k Beretta verses a $30k Perazzi. Both are excellent, both suitable to the task, both yield similar results, both are similar in appearance, but the Perazzi exquisitely better, with a tangible feel to it that is superior.

Here is a study of interior cabins between the makes discussed. Hard to define what is superior based on the photos alone, but sit in them, and you can tell, without question or hesitation, how they rank in terms of a premium feel.

Land Rover Discovery Sport
new-2015-land-rover-discovery.jpg

Volvo XC90
85711-volvo-xc90-interieur-11.jpg

Mercedes GLK350
2015-GLK-CLASS-GLK350-SUV-016-CCF-D.jpg

Subaru Outback
2015-Subaru-Outback-interior.jpg

Lexus NX
14-07-06-lexus-interior-nx-metal.jpg

BMX X5
Bmw-X5-2015-Interior.jpg

Land Rover LR3 (just for comparison purposes - IMHO its the bottom of the list of "premium" interiors)
Land_Rover-LR3_2005_1600x1200_wallpaper_0c.jpg
Pretty sure that Subaru is a Premium not a limited, big difference between Premium and Limited I have one of each, I bought Grandma a Premium and my wife and I have a Limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz