1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Awesome write up and love your rig! You can remove the spring clips on any latch and insert a padlock if you desire. I can shoot some pics to give you an idea of you would like.

Sorry to hear about your shipping issue as well, we have had a total of 3 damaged tents in the past almost 2 years. Despite attempts to further reinforce our pallets, the careless forklifts always win.

Happy travels!

-Rin

Red Crocs

We bought are first Trooper from Pitre Isuzu in Scottsdale. It was a4 speed and the gasfill was between the front and rear seat.
You guess the year! People couldn't even pronounce the name. We still own a 1994 Trooper and it is my go in the woods vehicle.
The mileage is way up there with no mechanical problems. Then Chevy took over and the rest is history. Don't forget, Isuzu was leading the development of the Duramax and Chevy takes the credit. I wish I could buy a Japanese build Isuzu diesel P/U. I can dream can't I

S

Squatchout

Red Croc just buy a Spacecab(they were all made in Japan) and do a 2.8 or 3.1 td conversion. It's nearly a bolt in.

Nice job and write up Mr. B!

jhill15

Explorer
As another post has stated "best trooper seen hands down" !!!!!!! You have done an amazing job! Makes me miss my 87 bigtime!
:Subscribed:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Really nice! Looks like a brand new truck (but with way cooler styling).

I personally like a nice poop-brown dash, but I'm a hopeless nostalgic.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
We bought are first Trooper from Pitre Isuzu in Scottsdale. It was a4 speed and the gasfill was between the front and rear seat.
You guess the year! People couldn't even pronounce the name.
I think 84 was the first year for Troopers in the US...

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Very nice build. I have a thing for White Vehicles.
And the Black interior is a NICE TOUCH!

I have all the parts for my round eye 86 2 door TD Trooper to duplicate your build.
Just need time.

Only I am using a 89 Chassis for its suspension, running gear and better frame under my 86 body. I wanted the bigger 10/12 bolt diffs for my ARB's and 4:77's and the bigger brakes + Torsion bar suspension. But I'll be using a new MUA5 transmission with Tera Lows in it behind my 2.2 TD.

(So as not to confuse anyone, the newer MUA's will not bolt up to the 2.2L turbo diesel engine without a special (Very Rare) diesel bell housing. Which I have! So don't get your hopes up!)

It won't be fast, but it will go anywhere I'll want to go!

My Trooper will even have a full length Wilderness Rack like you had on earlier.

Also, I'll be mounting a 2nd spare on the hood too just for fun. (Think Series I LR)

Like I said, I've got all the parts, just haven't put it together yet. Personally I'm not a roof top tent kind of guy so I'll be using a special remote control steerable trailer behind my Trooper for sleeping and cooking duties.

Now for the reason I'm posting.

There's a trick you may or may not know about to get rid of those fuel jugs on the back of your door just by adding a second fuel tank from an Isuzu Pickup under the body between the frame and driveshaft.

I'm a paranoid about of being rear ended with gas cans hanging out back.

When you visit the Wrecking/ Salvage yards keep a look out for a short bed Isuzu Picks and grab its gas tank. About 11~13 gallons if memory serves me right. Wrecking yards should have it, and plan on cutting out the rear bracket you'll need to make it fit under your Trooper under the right side rear passenger seat.

It attaches under the Trooper just like it does under the pickups. There is space for it and everything. You just need that rear bracket part that the pickup frame has on it.

The pickup tanks attach to the cross bars at the front and rear of the tank. Like I said, You'll want to grab the rear bracket off the donor truck if you can (See 1st picture) (A battery powered sawzall is your friend to get that one part) and weld it onto your rear round crossbar that is just ahead of your rear diff. The front mount only needs a piece of 3/4 square tubing to attach it to the cross bar the carrier bearing is mounted to level it out.
It is drilled to mount and bolted through the CB cross member.
(3rd and 4th pictures)

The pictures below should give you an idea of what to look for.
(sorry the pictures were taken several years ago.)

You will not need a body lift kit to add this fuel tank and there is space to put an electric tranfer valve in front of the tank and bracket in the inside of the frame.
I added a small skid plate there to protect the valve and all that tubing. A No Brainer!

You'd think Isuzu designed them to be this way after you see one done.

Just relocate the filter on the frame farther forward of where it is now and filter both tanks through it. Not to mention it will be easier to service there.

A couple of 90 degree rubber fuel hoses for the filler tube, a short piece of steel tube, plus hose clamps some fuel, return and vent hoses to hook up to the transfer valve and you're almost done.

Rather than having to add another filler cap through the body for filling you can buy, or build, a "Y" tube and install it close under the stock filler neck so you can fill direct fuel from the gas station pump into either front or rear fuel tank through the existing filler door. They are high enough above the two tanks you wont have a problem sloshing fuel from one tank to the other via the filler neck.

PM me if you want more explaination or pictures. I have the body back on now, but can shoot some of the transfer valve and plumbing if you need them. I bought my Pollack transfer valves at JC Whitney of all places.

The best part of this is the pickup tank has a compatible sending unit, plus fuel pump, in the tank so your Troopers stock gas gauge can give you the correct fuel level on which ever tank you are running on. All vent lines and return lines are there, so plan on getting one of the Pollack transfer valves for an EFI vehicle so it transfers all the hoses at one time. (Fuel, Return and Vent)

And you thought you were done! :)

Curtis

PS:
I'm looking at adding a later under floor Rodeo Gas Tank under my 93 Rodeo in the same place too, to extend my range on it too!
I hang my water and gas can style ice cooler forem my drinks on the back of my trucks.
I saw a 5 gallon gas can explode one time in the hands of a friends Sister years ago. It was not pretty! She didn't survive long.

Attachments

• Rodeo Pictures 148.jpg
    Rodeo Pictures 148.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Rodeo Pictures 147.jpg
    Rodeo Pictures 147.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Rodeo Pictures 145.jpg
    Rodeo Pictures 145.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Rodeo Pictures 138.jpg
    Rodeo Pictures 138.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 87

hove102

Adventurer
Beautiful rig! Makes me wish I'd looked a bit harder for a Gen 1 Trooper, I've always loved the styling and the dirt-simpleness. Can't wait to see where this rig takes you! Subscribed.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks, all, for the nice replies. It was definitely a labor of love and it took me many years to get to this point.

@ Curtis in Texas - Yes, I have heard of this mod, and it is a good one. I tossed this idea around for a while for a couple reasons, one which is of course to add more weight under the Trooper. As you know, in reality, there are only a few places in the country I can think of where extra fuel is really required. Unless of course you are just planning an extended stay off road with lots of exploring. The Rotapax work well for now, but I will keep my eyes peeled for a aux fuel tank! Thanks!

Awesome write up and love your rig! You can remove the spring clips on any latch and insert a padlock if you desire. I can shoot some pics to give you an idea of you would like.
-Rin
I don't know why I didn't think of this! I bet you could also run a long wire through all the clips, and lock it on one side. Thanks, Rin!

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke