CB Modification

tarditi

Explorer
You want to mount it inside your console?

OK.

I can think of many other places I would rather have it, personally.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Now that your link works, I find that it is the same thread I found a couple years ago. :)

I ended up getting a smaller unit that fits in my dash without mods though, so never went through with it.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I knew a guy years ago who did that exactly to a Cobra 148-GTL :Wow1:
He ran into some issues with the power dropping out due to the resistance of the wiring going all the way out to the on-off switch on the Vol knob. He contacted me about it, and the solution was to put a relay inside the radio chassis to do the on-off switching inside the unit itself. After that it worked 100%.

I didn't see mention on that page of using a power relay or that it was a problem (the 29 not being a SSB radio maybe it doesn't care about voltage fluctuations as much), but something to think about adding if you or anyone else does this (it surely will help the radio's performance).

FWIW, I think a Uniden PRO-520XL would be a great candidate for this mod. The resulting remote head would be nice & compact.

rayra

Expedition Leader
If the OP is talking about that hack job in the center console, I cannot agree that it is cool. Lots of better installs to be seen in our comm forum, and elsewhere. Hidden locations and head mounts sprouting like mushrooms from dashboards, obscuring vents and factory dash controls all seem snazzy, but are a minor pain in the rump to operate, open and closing lids, glove compartment doors, contorting to reach around to some blocked switch.
Why not build yourself a mount that places the radio in a handy location, keeps it accessible, while simultaneously not cluttering things up? Fabrication skills are a very useful adjunct to this hobby / area of interest. And if you don't have any, its a great opportunity to learn by doing.

HAFICON

Adventurer
If the OP is talking about that hack job in the center console, I cannot agree that it is cool. Lots of better installs to be seen in our comm forum, and elsewhere. Hidden locations and head mounts sprouting like mushrooms from dashboards, obscuring vents and factory dash controls all seem snazzy, but are a minor pain in the rump to operate, open and closing lids, glove compartment doors, contorting to reach around to some blocked switch.
Why not build yourself a mount that places the radio in a handy location, keeps it accessible, while simultaneously not cluttering things up? Fabrication skills are a very useful adjunct to this hobby / area of interest. And if you don't have any, its a great opportunity to learn by doing.

That is not what I was referring to.. I re posted the link what they did was remove the face of the CB extend the wiring that connects the two. Allowing for placement of the faceplate almost anywhere and it be clean. While being to place the box section of the CB where ever you want.

I also updated the link in the first post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior