HAM study guide

uli2000

Adventurer
Ok I'll look at the HamStudy.org. I tried to find the book "now your talking" that everyone recomended but apparently they don't make it anymore so it said to use the online guide at ARRL.org. I'll probably ready through both, more info can't hurt.

I looked at HamStudy.org and it looks like a bunch of flash cards and practice questions. Is there any reading material to read first or do I just go through the flash cards a bunch of times?

Now You're Talking was a very early version of the current ARRL Technician's License manual. I'd stick with something current. Not saying the ARRL or W5YI/Gordon West books arn't useful, but they are a little deep considering the material covered on the test. I'd try the KB6NU guides and practice tests and flashcards on hamstudy.org. I think the ARRL Operating Manual is a better refference for new hams and would be just as useful after passing the test as before passing the test. Hold off on buying it right away thought. Odds are a couple of weeks after passing the tech exam the ARRL will send you a coupon for a free copy if you join for a year. The book on it's own is ~$25-30 and a year of ARRL membership is $39 plus you'd get a year of QST and access to the back catalog.

03rubicon

Adventurer
Ok I'll look at the HamStudy.org. I tried to find the book "now your talking" that everyone recomended but apparently they don't make it anymore so it said to use the online guide at ARRL.org. I'll probably ready through both, more info can't hurt.

I looked at HamStudy.org and it looks like a bunch of flash cards and practice questions. Is there any reading material to read first or do I just go through the flash cards a bunch of times?

Flash cards are where its at. I was in a time crunch to get mine done as there isn't another test between now and when I'm doing a big trip but using the flash cards on my cellphone when I got a chance, 20-30 questions at a time, it was great. The Hamstudy.org place was great because it would also recognize the ones you got wrong and give them to you again a few questions later so you knew the answer and could feel confident about it. I took and passed mine yesterday after about a week of flash card studying.

87Warrior

GP'er
I got my Tech just over a month ago and found the test really simple. I read through the ARRL Tech book then went to QRZ.com and took all of the study tests for each concept. If you learn by memorization, you could simply take the online tests over and over to learn what the right answers are. Remember, the study questions are actual test questions. I am a conceptual learner so I had great luck reading the book first then doing the study questions.

lysol

Explorer
I used an app on my phone like the HAM test prep or something like that. I just memorized about 98% of the questions a few days before the test and passed. lol.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
So far I've been reading through the material on the ARRL site, then going through the flash cards on HamStudy.org. I only have till the expo to study so I basically just decided to stick with these 2 things. I really like how the HamStudy.org seems to recognize the material that you know well and re ask questions that you missed a little later.

Has anyone gotten their licenses though the overland expo? Or has anyone been in the class? It said to study before so I'm not sure if it's just a test or a little class first or what. Also with the tech test, how many questions about? Or do they just test you on everything and you get the highest level you passed.

Sorry for all the questions but this is like a whole new world for me, I'd like to kind of have some idea of what the test is like.

mm58

Observer
The exam is 35 multiple choice questions, randomly selected from a pool of around 600. There are 3 - 4-5 or maybe 6 questions each that deal with a specific area. E.g., safety, band privileges, circuitry, antennas, operating discipline, etc.
The exam is not timed, and they will let you know right there if you passed or not.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Ok thanks, do u know if that HamStudy.org pulls from the same bank of questions or just similar questions? I'm glad they let you
know right away how you did.

orangeglo

If you have an Android phone, look for the app "Ham Test Prep", I used it and passed Tech and General in one sitting. I only studied for 2 days (Thursday and Friday, tested on Saturday), but I did have prior radio experience from Civil Air Patrol that helped with the basics. There are other practice test resources, but I liked how this one presented the questions. Master the Tech questions before starting on the General material. If you're feeling frosty you can study for Extra as well, but that's a lot to learn in a brief period. For most people, Tech is all they need, but General gives you almost all of the HF bands for long-range comms should you need (or eventually need) that capability.

The Ham Test Prep app is what I used as well. I did a quick skim of the no nonsense guide and then started do the practice exams using the Ham Test Prep app whenever I had a couple minutes to spare like on the toilet and such. I did another skim back through the no nonsense guide before my exam. I didn't have any prior radio experience and I ended up with a perfect score on my tech exam. I almost passed the general exam too. I will most definitely use the same method when I decide to take my general exam again.

uli2000

Adventurer
Ok thanks, do u know if that HamStudy.org pulls from the same bank of questions or just similar questions? I'm glad they let you
know right away how you did.

Yes, it's the same bank of questions. And unless they added a lot more questions, the pool is ~350-400. General is about the same. The extra has a question pool of 700 or so.

abruzzi

Adventurer
Ohms law and common sense will get you thru the Technicians level test.

For example, if you get a question about giving up a conversation on a particular frequency for an emergency transmission use common sense and think for a second, the correct answer will be there.

The correct answer is always there, they're not trying to get over on you.

And technically, I think you can mis every technical question and still pass. I read the ARRL study guide cover to cover, and fretted a lot, and two days before the test I realized it wasn't hard, so I dropped studying the tech questions, and studied the general questions for 2 hours for two days, and passed them both. Don't overthink it.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yea the technician test was no problem. I just used the HamStudy.org flashcards then took a few practice tests on AA9PW's website. Wasn't a hard test but still glad I was able to study so I didn't worry about it, those 2 sources gave me a lot of good info. Thanks for the help guys, now the fun part of getting a radio set up together for my truck.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Congrats on the new license.

Thanks, I'm excited to get started once whatever they have to process goes through. I'll have to start getting some gear. My plan is to test higher each year at the expo, so next year I'll study and test for general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior