HAM study guide

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I'm going to take the HAM test this year at the expo. Can anyone recommend a good study guide for the test that I can order?

mm58

Observer
There's a book called "Now you're talking" which is a very good study guide. Also, go to the QRZ.COM site and take the practice exams repeatedly until you can consistently pass. Then you're ready to take the real exam

mm58

Observer
Burban, I see that you are in Tucson. Me too. Let me know if I can help you out with anything concerning ham.

uli2000

Adventurer
Dan Romanchik KB6NU (www.kb6nu.com) has great free guides for tech and general on his site. I used hamtestonline.com for both my tech and extra. It's a paid service but I found it invaluble, especially for extra. Lots of stuff on youtube as well.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Ok I'll look at those sites too. Thanks mm58 I'll let you know if I have any questions. Where in tucson are you?

Uncle Beer

Observer
Dan Romanchik KB6NU (www.kb6nu.com) has great free guides for tech and general on his site. I used hamtestonline.com for both my tech and extra. It's a paid service but I found it invaluble, especially for extra. Lots of stuff on youtube as well.

I used the guides from KB6NU for both my tech and general. They're great and easy to follow. I read the tech in 1 night and the gen in two.

Good luck

Sent from a currently soggy secret desert location

whatevah

Observer
If you have an Android phone, look for the app "Ham Test Prep", I used it and passed Tech and General in one sitting. I only studied for 2 days (Thursday and Friday, tested on Saturday), but I did have prior radio experience from Civil Air Patrol that helped with the basics. There are other practice test resources, but I liked how this one presented the questions. Master the Tech questions before starting on the General material. If you're feeling frosty you can study for Extra as well, but that's a lot to learn in a brief period. For most people, Tech is all they need, but General gives you almost all of the HF bands for long-range comms should you need (or eventually need) that capability.

fogo

Second vote for HamStudy. Used this for my prep, and only missed one on the Technician exam a week or so ago. (Almost passed General, but honestly didn't study specifically for that one, so failing wasn't much of a surprise.) HamStudy was nice though as it tracks your progress, and works well in a mobile browser, so you don't need to be tied to a computer to use it.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Ok I'll look at the HamStudy.org. I tried to find the book "now your talking" that everyone recomended but apparently they don't make it anymore so it said to use the online guide at ARRL.org. I'll probably ready through both, more info can't hurt.

I looked at HamStudy.org and it looks like a bunch of flash cards and practice questions. Is there any reading material to read first or do I just go through the flash cards a bunch of times?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz