2002 Honda CR-V The Trailhead Get'R'To'R

Applejack

Explorer
I have now had a few weeks now to find the things I like and other things I don't about this CRV. I will start with bad and end with the good.
Torque steers like crazy under moderate to heavy throttle. Clearly demonstrating its FWD bias. The issue is exacerbated with bikes and/or gear in/on the back. Downshifting at hwy speed to pass someone makes for an exciting but brief moment until things straighten out.
Visibility out the back is not so good. The rear seats sit high and in the way of drivers rear view as well as the rear door mounted spare tire. Ground clearance is not great. I'm so used to my 4Runners generous clearance that I sometimes forget to watch out for larger rocks or other trail obstacles.
Front seats are uncomfortable on long drives.
Gearing. First gear is low enough for most mild trail and that's good but it's almost too low for city/traffic driving. The choice is either to wrap it out in 1st for stop and go stuff or lug it in second. The jump between 1st and 2nd is not so smooth. I'm not sure what the ratio differences are but it feels like the margin is pretty wide.
Lack of skid plating. With not a lot of clearance to spare you would think Honda might have at least covered the front diff/transaxle with something...even a plastic guard would help some.
Finally, fuel consumption and range could be better. I read of people getting 300-350 miles to a tank. I assumed this was hwy. I may be able to reach that 300 mark but I think I'd be on fumes. That said, my experiences have only been when we've been on MTB trips so the Honda is pretty well loaded, probably 600-650lbs of people, bikes and our stuff. Not sure how much that may change with a light load.

Okay, now with the things I like.
It's a pretty nimble little rig. On MTB trail maintanence/scouting excursions it's not uncommon to encounter fallen trees that needed to be cut and removed to get by. Many times my 4Runner would barely not fit, too wide or too tall and it was frustrating. The little Honda so far has been able to just squeeze by or under them.
image.jpg

For its small size it feels quite roomy inside.
Traction has been better than what I expected. I took some rutted and muddy two track roads that I did not expect to be able to negotiate, but it did. The General AT2's probably had more to do with it that the 4wheel drive system
image.jpg
image.jpg

1st gear. While it's a bone of contention in traffic it's welcome when off the beaten path. With the lack of a low range 1st gear does a pretty good job for most of what the Honda can handle off the pavement. When things are steep you have to stay in 1st and perhaps rev it's nuts off, resisting the urge to shift to second in order to make the climb, but I have been surprised what it has climbed.
160 hp is not a lot but the little Honda makes good use of it and will cruise easily at 80mph, and even when loaded with shtuff it has scampered up mountain passes with little to no protest. Impressive.
5 speed manual. I like manual transmissions.

vhercules

With good all terrains the CRV is a decent family rig for soft roading. It is pretty good in snow and ice and I have had some good experience in snow storms over the years. I have a 2007 which has lower ground clearance than gen 2 (2002-2006) but is good on forest roads, dirt roads, sand and snow. Switching off traction control does help while going up hills, in deep snow and sand.
The good thing is the ample room it has for cargo and passengers. Lots of leg room and shoulder room.
here is a pic taken during a snow storm a few years ago ... no problem going thru 8-9 inches of snow as long as VSA is disabled !
P1010005.JPG

Here she is ready for a cottage trip !
crv-183023.jpg

Apdl

Observer
AJ
Glad to hear it is working out for you!!

I do live the 2nd gens, I feel like my 4th is soft and fat(like me)

Applejack

Explorer
I do find myself liking it more and more, but I do have to jump in and drive my 4Runner every 2weeks or so just to bring my testosterone levels back up.:sombrero: A funny thing about it is, while at a Lowes car park I unintentionally parked between a very nice lifted newer Rubicon an a very nice newer lifted Tacoma. Clearly mall crawling compensation rigs, They were both beautifully waxed hardly a speck of dust between the both of them. But between them sat the lowly mud splattered CRV which has probably been off road more in the last month than either the Rubi or Taco had seen in their entire existence. I should have taken a picture. In fact as I walked out from the store, that's when I noticed the irony, and said to myself, " what's wrong with this picture?" Clearly the CRV could never match the off road ( or on road) prowess of either the Taco or Rubi, it just was a kind of funny scene.

Applejack

Explorer
Trail Tested...sort of

Last week I headed up into the Siskiyou range to scout for a locating to photograph the northern lights. I took the CRV up several FS roads and a couple of them I seriously did not think the little Honda would be able to handle, but much to my surprise, it did. Some of the roads were quite steep and rutted. Some had deep water bars and larger sized rocks to straddle.
With very limited wheel travel the wheels lift easily off the ground making the Honda rely heavily on its AWD system which I had been thinking was one of its weaker attributes.
image.jpg

I found the chassis to be surprisingly stiff, no creaking sounds at all like you normally get when crossing up a unibody vehicle. No doubt about it, with limited clearance, no low range and a manual transmission you have to pick your lines carefully. As long as I did that, the little CRV scampered up everything I pointed it at. One particular track was quite steep and I knew it would make it up because I would have to rely on momentum and dodge rocks, but the nimble little car chugged right on up to the top only hitting two of the rocks on the undercarriage. Luckily nothing was damaged but skid plates sure would be nice to have.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Applejack

Explorer
It does. It will leave connected though as this isn't my off roader, although it occasionally goes off road. I'm putting through an evaluation phase right now to see what it's capable of and what's it not. Light off roading or soft roading, as they say, is all this car will be up to. It's my DD, my work rig for almost all my photo assignments. I just needed to figure out what it's limitations were. As it turns out, as limited as it is it's less limited than I thought. :sombrero:

I have now had a few weeks now to find the things I like and other things I don't about this CRV. I will start with bad and end with the good.
Torque steers like crazy under moderate to heavy throttle. Clearly demonstrating its FWD bias. The issue is exacerbated with bikes and/or gear in/on the back. Downshifting at hwy speed to pass someone makes for an exciting but brief moment until things straighten out.
Visibility out the back is not so good. The rear seats sit high and in the way of drivers rear view as well as the rear door mounted spare tire.

Torque steer? We've put 85k on an 03 (same gen as yours), and I've never felt an ounce of torque steer. Might want to have the alignment checked, or maybe you have a sloppy bushing?

As for the poor rear visibility, take the 3 rear headrests out (they just pull out) and store then in the circular bin under the rear floor. That way you always have them when you have passengers, but they are not constantly blocking your view. We did this literally the day we got home from the dealership.

Not the most exciting vehicle, but ours has needed nothing but normal maintenance in 12 years and 85k miles. Gotta respect that. Sounds like you're having fun with yours!

Last edited:

Applejack

Explorer
Torque steer? We've put 85k on an 03 (same gen as yours), and I've never felt an ounce of torque steer. Might want to have the alignment checked, or maybe you have a sloppy bushing?

As for the poor rear visibility, take the 3 rear headrests out (they just pull out) and store then in the circular bin under the rear floor. That way you always have them when you have passengers, but they are not constantly blocking your view. We did this literally the day we got home from the dealership.

Not the most exciting vehicle, but ours has needed nothing but normal maintenance in 12 years and 85k miles. Gotta respect that. Sounds like you're having fun with yours!

I think the alignment is good, I think that the struts might need replacing though. The torque steer is only a problem when we have the bikes on the back and the car stuffed with gear. Otherwise it's fine. For visibility out the rear I just reclined the rear seats all the way back and that made a huge improvement. True, it is a bland little car but it seems to be a plucky little thing. It's an underdog in many respects and I have always liked the underdog. I've detailed it more here ------> http://backcountryjournal.blogspot.com/2015/06/tike-underdog.html

vhercules

I have also never experienced any torque steer in my gen3, even when loaded with cargo. CRVs are known to have sagging butts :Wow1: and its probably the age of the vehicle as well.
Did you get an alignment done after installing grabbers ?

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
FWIW, my 2004 Element had very noticeable torque steer from day 1 (it was purchased new). Only an issue when I was near full throttle. I expect CRVs and Elements of that generation shared quite a bit of DNA.

BTW, loved your story about parking between a couple mall crawlers!

Dake21

Adventurer
I think the alignment is good, I think that the struts might need replacing though. The torque steer is only a problem when we have the bikes on the back and the car stuffed with gear. Otherwise it's fine. For visibility out the rear I just reclined the rear seats all the way back and that made a huge improvement. True, it is a bland little car but it seems to be a plucky little thing. It's an underdog in many respects and I have always liked the underdog. I've detailed it more here ------> http://backcountryjournal.blogspot.com/2015/06/tike-underdog.html

Maybe torque steer happens when you have too much weight at the back, thus lifting the front wheels slightly enough to make them slip on occasion, which in turn engages the rear wheel and creates the torque steer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne