1998 Montero Seat Belt Switch

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I'm working out all the little bugs on my Montero and I'm wondering if anyone can help me diagnose & repair the drivers side seat belt switch. It has never worked as long as I've had my Montero (10+ yrs) so I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do but I'm guessing when the seat belt is not fastened a dash light would be illuminated and possibly a chime would sound? Well on mine I know the dash light is good as it lights up with key in "on" position. With engine on, stationary or moving, unfastening the seat belt does nothing. I've traced it back to the first connector (D-17 (2) Seat belt switch from page 80-14 in the service manual) and still no luck. I tried closing the circuit at the connector (a good way to bypass the actual seat belt switch) with a jumper but that doesn't trigger anything. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Eric M

Adventurer
I have heard there is something called the ETACS module that could cause the light to malfunction, along with other important things. Mine personally had the same problem as yours until an ajar door killed the battery. Now the light is on all of the time.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Eric,
Nothing else is wrong with any other electrical systems / features on the truck, so unless this is the first thing to happen, I'm not sure if the ETACS module would be it. Let's see what others suggest.
Thanks

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
This question might take a while to get a repair reco but could anyone in the meantime please confirm what happens if they don't use their seatbelt and start moving? Is there a light and a chime? I'd at least like to know what the 98 seatbelt warning is supposed to do when working normally.
Thanks!

Eric M

Adventurer
The service manual states that it should come on when you switch the key to the on position for the self check, and then stay on and chime a couple times if you turn the car on without wearing your seatbelt.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Is there any indication that the seatbelt sensor is tied to airbag deployment? Would the drivers side airbag be disabled if the seatbelt is not clicked in, or the system is malfunctioning?
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles