CopperCon Build

Ravenmad

Observer
The Jeep now sits 4.5" taller thanks to the AEV dual sport suspension lift with bypass shocks. I also added some airlift helper airbags to the rear for all the added weight I carry around and trailer I occasionally tow. I'll have some pics up soon, once I get my wheels back from powdercoating and my 37" BFG AT K02's mounted up.

feda1f11b40a394bf2fa1077da27fb51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice, if you don't mind me asking, what was the part number and who do you recommend buying from??? This could be the cure to my "passenger side lean" and sag when I am loaded down with gear and my Adventure trailer.... Thanks in advance...

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
The Airlift helper spring kit part number you need is 80537, which is currently $82 on Amazon. I did a mini write up of the install on AEV's website under the same user name.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Looking great! Did you ever get the J30?

Interesting story...I ordered the top several months in advance and was given a two day window in which the top would be ready and installed. I also had a ton of options selected for the top...Front Runner roof rack, solar panels, red LED interior lights, etc. As the weeks got closer, I kept in close contact with John, who was able to narrow down the very day the top would be ready. I took days off from work and headed down to his shop in Chula Vista.

When I got there the top was the wrong color...its was Copperhead (Orange) not Copper Brown, despite going over the color with John a couple of times, because it's not a common color at all. Furthermore, the main section of the top (the entire bottom half) was missing because the paint shop had screwed it up and had to repaint it...the wrong color (Orange) again.

I got to UMV's shop late at night, and the next morning was supposed to be the install. However, none of the accessories were installed..no solar panels, rack, lights, interior...it was a completely bare, wrong colored shell. John told me he would have the shop hurry and repaint the shell and his guys would hurry and install all the accessories and I would be on my way home in 4-5 days.

I had taken enough time off from work to get my top installed when promised, then had to be back to work within two days, so that wasn't going to work. Plus, I didn't want a hurried job with a hastily thrown together $9k camper top. John suggested I stay in a local hotel right around the corner from his shop. I wasn't opposed to the idea yet so I went to check in. It looked super sketchy so I sat in the parking lot to people watch for a minute. In that short amount of time, I saw at least one, possibly two hand-to-hand drug deals go down.

When I saw that, it hit me how pissed I was that I drove from Seattle to Chula Vista, my $9k top wasn't ready as promised, and John was 100% unapologetic. In the hour I spent at the shop trying to figure out how this was going to work, he never once apologized, offered to help pay for the 4, possibly 5 nights in a hotel room I was going to have to foot the bill for, or offer a discount on the top. John did suggest I drive back home and come back down later to get the top, or he can ship it for $1k. Again, not offering the help with shipping cost. When I questioned the $1k cost of shipping, he became defensive and said, "I don't set the price of shipping, it has to be crated." Well I get that, but at least give me a break and offer to help cover the cost because you dropped the ball on this whole thing and now I'm out a lot of money. Another fine suggestion from John was to leave my Jeep at the shop, fly home, then fly back when the top was ready. Again, all at my expense and not so much as an apology for this mess.

Anyway, I told John I wasn't taking the top. I cancelled my order right there, told him to sell the top to somebody else, and I headed back to WA at 9pm that night. That's why I'm so interested in these other Jeep camper top projects people are doing, because I'm still in the market and hoping a better option from a more business savvy and customer service oriented company comes along.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sorry to read about your misadventure there.
I was pretty set on getting a J30. It was the reason I went JKU instead of JK. After running the Jeep with the premium convertible top, I've decided against it.
Such an awesome experience to run top down on the trail. Then pull up the top, and crash inside for the night.
Just need to figure out what to do when traveling with a girlfriend.

GFA

Adventurer
The Airlift helper spring kit part number you need is 80537, which is currently $82 on Amazon. I did a mini write up of the install on AEV's website under the same user name.

How did you come up with that part #? Was airlift able to help you determine which bags you needed for the taller springs? I need a set for a 2.5" lift and I'm thinking your part # is a bit too tall but the # that is for the JK according to airlift I'm guessing is too short.

Thanks

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Sorry to read about your misadventure there.
I was pretty set on getting a J30. It was the reason I went JKU instead of JK. After running the Jeep with the premium convertible top, I've decided against it.
Such an awesome experience to run top down on the trail. Then pull up the top, and crash inside for the night.
Just need to figure out what to do when traveling with a girlfriend.

Right now he's got the market cornered because he has the factory CAD files Jeep used to make the hardtop molds, as I understand it. This is probably why he has a laid back attitude when it comes to customer service. There's plenty of other issues out there with UMV and the way things are run, but I'll let those people/companies share their own experiences if they choose.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
How did you come up with that part #? Was airlift able to help you determine which bags you needed for the taller springs? I need a set for a 2.5" lift and I'm thinking your part # is a bit too tall but the # that is for the JK according to airlift I'm guessing is too short.

Thanks

I called and talked to Mike at Airlift. Super helpful guy. They just need the spring inner width and unloaded but installed spring height and he will hook you up.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
So many great options available

Right now he's got the market cornered because he has the factory CAD files Jeep used to make the hardtop molds, as I understand it. This is probably why he has a laid back attitude when it comes to customer service. There's plenty of other issues out there with UMV and the way things are run, but I'll let those people/companies share their own experiences if they choose.

RV companies are what they are. I wouldn't get stuck on that negativity.
On the plus side, you got a reprieve to try some other options.

I'm very glad for the opportunity to camp in the Jeep with the soft top. That experience changed my goals quite a bit, as it opened my eyes to a lot more possibilities.
I was stuck on getting the J30, because of how awesome my old Eurovan camper was. But I forgot how awesome top down on the trail is.

There was a really cool thread a few years back on the Magolina (sp?) (made by Autohome, in the Air Top line I think...). One of the forum members here, added a huge tarp as a canopy, that really came out nice! He has info on how he did the whole thing in that thread.
At about half the price of the J30, it may be a good candidate to look at. At a minimum you'd be able to remove the Freedom panels, and with the right safari rack, maybe even run top down on the trail. :)
So many great options out there. :victory:
Hope your search is great fun, and you get just what you want. :beer:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I'm leaning toward a roof rack and RTT for now, until somebody else comes up with a replacement top/camper shell because that's ultimately what I'd like.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I saw a really nice RTT that has a canopy which keeps the ladder underneath, so even in the rain, a person can stay pretty dry while climbing into the tent.
Thought that was a great idea for people in areas with high precipitation.
One of the things I've always wondered is in rainy areas, will the RTT mold if it doesn't get the chance to dry out?
The other is, if it is folded when wet, does it "weep" through and get things inside the tent wet on multi day excursions?

If they stay dry inside and don't mold, that could be a great way to go.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I had both a fabric tent (ARB Simpson III) and a hardshell tent (Autohome Columbus) and can tell you that yes, the fabric will in fact mold if it doesn't get the chance to dry out. In addition, the fabric does weep if left folded for too long while the exterior is wet.

I'm leading toward a Rhino Rack and James Baroud RTT for now, until I settle on a JK replacement top/camper shell I'm happy with. I would have been happy with the J30, but the customer service is lacking heavily.

Oldmonkeybut

Observer
I saw a really nice RTT that has a canopy which keeps the ladder underneath, so even in the rain, a person can stay pretty dry while climbing into the tent.
Thought that was a great idea for people in areas with high precipitation.
One of the things I've always wondered is in rainy areas, will the RTT mold if it doesn't get the chance to dry out?
The other is, if it is folded when wet, does it "weep" through and get things inside the tent wet on multi day excursions?

If they stay dry inside and don't mold, that could be a great way to go.

We are using the CVT Shasta and love it. One of the things that led us to it was the Overhang/Annex room that keeps the ladder out of the weather. We live in Western Oregon and it doesn't get much wetter than here. The cloth tent would be a bad idea if you don't have a facility large enough to open up the tent and dry it out after a trip. I remove the tent and store it in a heated area through the winter if we are not traveling. So far it has remained dry on the inside during trips. I did forget to open up the Awning cover and it started to mold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior