1973 Land Rover Series III 88" RHD

Sleam

Explorer
Sadly, I've realised I need to sell my old Land Rover. It's the constant desire to improve, fix, change details. I can keep it as it is, but you know how it goes. Anyway, if I can find a good home, Shorty would do better with someone who can finish up and drive and enjoy her more.
I bought this from a friend in Santa Fe. I have all the records, dating back a long way, to the owners in England. Shorty was shipped over about twelve years ago and Rob and Southwest Rovers has done much of the work.
$16,500.

DSC01497.jpg

Here is a list of work I know of, have done or got receipts for.
2010 Leaf springs and shocks.
2011 transmission checked
transfer case installed
new exhaust system
new u joints
hinges, lights and tons of smaller stuff done but no reciepts like new distributer and ignition parts.
since 2012 (with me)
rebuilt engine (less than a thousand miles ago) with engine block machined, all new gaskets, rebored etc
clutch system (ALL) replaced: slave and master cylinders and lines, plates, bolts everything new.
electrical repairs under dash
voltage stabilizer replaced
POV replaced
new engine seals front and back
new engine mounts
new electrical fuel pump
new radiator cap
radiator new
radiator inline filter added
hub bearing kit
brake shoe kit
differential seal replaced
emergency brake line checked and adjusted
all new cooling system including pump, hoses, temp gauge, radiator, etc
new gauges on dash
new wiper motor
new tie rod ends
new rear brake hose
all steering components checked and adjusted.

DSC00882.jpg

On my wish list, new tires (these are old, good tread, but old, you know?), heater core replaced, add overdrive, insulate!

Also comes with boxes of spare parts. ROOF RACK, hoops and soft cover (all there but needs some sewing), hi-lift jack, two spare tires.

Mechanically sound as you can tell. The chassis is SOLID. The body work has dents, age, some minor rust spots, i like that it shows its age.

DSC01493.jpg

To be honest, I don't want to sell Shorty but it would be good, sensible. If I don't get a price I like, I'll keep the bugger and keep fixing it but I just don't drive her enough. Let me know if you are seriously interested okay? Thanks for looking and reading this. Take care, s

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
This would be a perfect fit for either an RTT using the rack that comes with it, I also talked to Ike and Pangolin 4x4 about the Xpanda kit he'd like to fabricate.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
I dont know to be honest. Smog rules as they are, I know NM is pretty lapse for that stuff. What would you need to address for CA? The engine is new, nothing smokes, all is good as far as I know. Perhaps you can ask at a local DMV inspection place? Let me know what you find out though, s

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I think we're OK with smog as it's a 1973, but I didn't know about the RHD. I know many of the guys on here would know!

Sleam

Explorer
As far as i know only Honduras or Nicaragua won't allow RHD. I had dreamt of taking it south but with three dogs, that's not going to happen. I love the picture of your lifted van by the way. PM me your number and we can chat more if you like, thanks s

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
Sorry folks, down with the flu. I'll respond to PMs later this week when I have energy to take more detailed photos.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
As far as i know only Honduras or Nicaragua won't allow RHD. I had dreamt of taking it south but with three dogs, that's not going to happen. I love the picture of your lifted van by the way. PM me your number and we can chat more if you like, thanks s

I don't think that is correct. In CA, only El Salvador doesn't like RHD. SA has a country or two that also don't like RHD.

Cheers

Sleam

Explorer
I don't think that is correct. In CA, only El Salvador doesn't like RHD. SA has a country or two that also don't like RHD.

Cheers

I knew it was a country in Central America but got it wrong, thanks for the correction.
On another note, I have someone coming down from Colorado tomorrow to see the rover, this could be a good match i think.
s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier