Off-road/utility trailer build

lathamb

Observer
I'll add my build that I started today. The goal is a trailer (4x6 inside box) that is lightweight but that can haul our camping stuff as well as do general duty as a material hauler. Two kids and a dog doesn't leave much room in the 4Runner. The frame is 2.5 inch square .125 wall, the box/tailgate will be framed with 1.5 inch .083 wall, the top will be framed with 1 inch .065 wall. I'll make an extendable tongue to help with storage when not in use. Standard 3500 lb axle. Haven't decided on brakes yet. Probably a wood floor. I just got the frame squared and tacked up today, except for the front. image.jpg

This is my first trailer build so if anyone sees any glaring errors please let me know. There's a wealth of info on previous builds that I've read so thanks to all that have posted their builds on here previously. Here's the sketch of the intended layout.
image.jpg

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
On my trailer frame, i ran the main spar all the way to the back and welded a shackle eye. It's nice to have a solid recovery point there in case you have to pull the trailer (or combination vehicle) from the rear.

lathamb

Observer
That's a good idea. Thanks! I like the idea of having the heavy backbone all the way to the rear. And that's a super sweet trailer you built matthewp!

Last edited:

Tombo

Subscribed...I've been lurking around here for a couple years and decided I want to build something similar...a utility/camping trailer. Good luck!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
That's a good idea. Thanks! I like the idea of having the heavy backbone all the way to the rear. And that's a super sweet trailer you built matthewp!

Thank you! Just like you're doing now, my design was the result of research and advice from others.

lathamb

Observer
Progress

Had some time over the last couple of weekends to work on the trailer. Got the frame squared and welded up, got the axle mounted, and started working on the box. Lots of trial end error. Thank goodness metal is more forgiving than wood to work with.

. image.jpgimage.jpg

I plan on running 3inch all the way to the back, but I'll wait till I get back from Colorado. I'm trying to get it road worthy for the trip in two weeks. Got matching FJ wheels and all terrains, just waiting on my wheel spacers to arrive to mount them up. The axle is 63 inches wide with Toyota bolt pattern, I should have gotten a 65 inch axle.

lathamb

Observer
Some more progress to update. I wanted to get the trailer road worthy for our trip from Dallas to Lake City, CO. I got it pretty much ready, i spent the night before throwing together a makeshift wooden top and finished up at 1:30 in the am. I'm glad i put that on though, but i'll replace it with a steel one shortly. The trailer made it fine, towed very well behind the 4Runner. I'll post more pics as time allows. All in all i'm glad i built this. It made traveling with the pregnant wife, kid, and large lab much more comfortable.
Here's a pic of the trailer at our cabin in Lake City.
FullSizeRender.jpg

And one of us on the Alpine Loop somewhere around 11,500 feet (no trailer)
IMG_1387.JPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior