Wiring: Auxillery lights w/ momentary in line.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'll be the first to admit while I'm extremely technically inclined I don't follow electrical very well. My understanding is that if it shocks it either works or you have a short. If it fails to shock you may just have a problem. For convenience the button will illuminate when the interior lights illuminate.

Ok,
On to the question. I have a set of auxillery LED driving lights going on the 4Runner. The vehicle is great but the switch placement isn't ideal......I have no intention of moving the switch because when the lights are to be on it will be a deliberate move. The question is how do I wire a momentary switch in line for the times I'm approaching another vehicle and I want the "dont forget to turn your high beams off" or " he buddy did you really just pull out in front of me" flash scenario. The auxillery wiring is already in place, I was trying to wrap my head around how an inline momentary that doesn't effect function would go.
1c801e9db070f9fea919ca8b0123c6ef.jpg
d15e1e654ce5a66e2394740eaf57cd79.jpg
de5031949b94f4fff471193865bf85b5.jpg
664b16194cea58a5e8b379db6480ccc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
yes, a second hot, with the momentary in it. If you want to get fancy, put a diode on the regular switch line near the lights, so your momentary circuit doesn't backcharge / energize the other circuit.

But I question your choice to use some probably very bright aux lights to 'punish' an offender / blind somebody driving at night, instead of using your regular headlight 'bright' setting like everybody else does (and the vehicle code allows)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

But I question your choice to use some probably very bright aux lights to 'punish' an offender / blind somebody driving at night, instead of using your regular headlight 'bright' setting like everybody else does (and the vehicle code allows)
X2

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'll be the first to admit while I'm extremely technically inclined I don't follow electrical very well. My understanding is that if it shocks it either works or you have a short. If it fails to shock you may just have a problem. For convenience the button will illuminate when the interior lights illuminate.

Ok,
On to the question. I have a set of auxillery LED driving lights going on the 4Runner. The vehicle is great but the switch placement isn't ideal......I have no intention of moving the switch because when the lights are to be on it will be a deliberate move. The question is how do I wire a momentary switch in line for the times I'm approaching another vehicle and I want the "dont forget to turn your high beams off" or " he buddy did you really just pull out in front of me" flash scenario. The auxillery wiring is already in place, I was trying to wrap my head around how an inline momentary that doesn't effect function would go.
1c801e9db070f9fea919ca8b0123c6ef.jpg
d15e1e654ce5a66e2394740eaf57cd79.jpg
de5031949b94f4fff471193865bf85b5.jpg
664b16194cea58a5e8b379db6480ccc6.jpg

Are you planning to run this on those ARB Clones?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
By all means thank you for being polite.

I take it the general consensus is that this isn't an acceptable idea.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Only if you're looking to possibly cause an accident, a road rage incident or a really annoyed cop. Think about it for a second, there are plenty of times people simply forget to turn off their bright lights but when you flash them they're suddenly blinded and heading in your general direction; remember people tend to get target fixation by things they aren't expecting- not really a good situation.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Robert, I see where the friction is coming from. I misstated my intent, these are not for any poor motorist that leaves their highs beams on. My high beams are perfect for communicating that message.

Longrange308

Adventurer
By all means thank you for being polite.

I take it the general consensus is that this isn't an acceptable idea.

I WILL use my overhead LED bars to tell a passing motorist that their hi-beams are still on, if, and only if, they haven't figured it out after I have flashed mine at them multiple times.

If you don't get the hint after the first 5 hi-beam flashes, its fair game IMO. I have even done this to a Sheriffs deputy a few months back on a back country 2 lane highway. I only flash them for a split second to get their attention, same thing with the deputy. He turned his hi-beams off and kept driving. Didn't turn around and pull me over or anything. I find them to be very useful.

kojackJKU

I WILL use my overhead LED bars to tell a passing motorist that their hi-beams are still on, if, and only if, they haven't figured it out after I have flashed mine at them multiple times.

If you don't get the hint after the first 5 hi-beam flashes, its fair game IMO. I have even done this to a Sheriffs deputy a few months back on a back country 2 lane highway. I only flash them for a split second to get their attention, same thing with the deputy. He turned his hi-beams off and kept driving. Didn't turn around and pull me over or anything. I find them to be very useful.

Sometimes you just need to wake the people out of a haze. How many times have people been coming at me with their brights on, and you go flash 4 or 5 times, I agree, its fair game then.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Unless their rear end is sagging and they are already on low beam.

The new gen Tundra has very bright low beams, and that most non construction model Ford F-Series 2000 and up have similar. Everything else is fairly normal.

kojackJKU

The worst new vehicle for effing eye piercing lights is the new corolla. They are absolutely horrible lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior