Buffalo National River

fortel

Adventurer
Thanks. If I make it back there, I hope to do some floating on the river. I would also hope to see some elk. We didn't see any this time. Someone told me the area around the White River is less visited and little more wild.

The North Fork of the White just north of the state line in Missouri is a great float and a pretty good trout stream for browns and rainbows. There is also an elk herd at Peck Ranch Conservation Area near the Current and Jacks Fork rivers. While there aren't the vast areas like some of the West has, there are some pretty remote and unexplored areas in the Ozarks.

Bojak

Adventurer
Great trip and photos. I've been on some of those trails so I gotta ask, how many copperheads did you see?

Bojak

Adventurer
We did a 17 mile loop in early summer one year near the Buffalo. We easily saw over 100 copperheads. Kind of blew my mind. Saw one on a ledge (a baby) strike at my brother in law as he went by. It was really cool seeing that at chest level close up. Especially since it missed.

TripLeader

Explorer
We did a 17 mile loop in early summer one year near the Buffalo. We easily saw over 100 copperheads. Kind of blew my mind. Saw one on a ledge (a baby) strike at my brother in law as he went by. It was really cool seeing that at chest level close up. Especially since it missed.
That's way too close for my comfort level. It was rainy and overcast several of the days we were there. That might have kept them from being out.

Looks like you had fun. Thanks for sharing.
Would have been cooler if you'd gone...

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Awesome report and photos! I explored the same area last month! So beautiful. I've got an article and photos about the area that will be in the next issue of OutdoorX4, so look for it!

Bull Shoals dam used to give tours, pre-9/11/01! It was awesome walking through that mammoth! My family owns a cabin right next door to the Bull Shoals State Park.

We stayed at Steel Creek, it was at or above capacity the entire weekend.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Awesome report and photos! I explored the same area last month! So beautiful. I've got an article and photos about the area that will be in the next issue of OutdoorX4, so look for it!

Bull Shoals dam used to give tours, pre-9/11/01! It was awesome walking through that mammoth! My family owns a cabin right next door to the Bull Shoals State Park.

We stayed at Steel Creek, it was at or above capacity the entire weekend.
Thanks. I watched your Ozarks video for some inspiration before the trip. I'd like to retrace your path some time. If anyone hasn't seen the video, it is worth your time: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Adventures-Ozark-National-Forest-Arkansas-USA I also enjoyed your K-Trail report. It's another place on my list.

Thanks for having me along. It was a blast!! Look forward to the next one.
There's nobody I'd rather spend time with in a dark cave.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Very very cool. Thanks for posting your trip, it's great info for me. I'm getting very excited to go now, at your suggestion I included Lost Valley and Rush into my itinerary. Those two stops and the back roads in between will likely fill my day.

There is totally more there that I want to see than one day will allow, I get the feeling from your report I'll be wanting to return to it once I get a taste.

TripLeader

Explorer
Very very cool. Thanks for posting your trip, it's great info for me. I'm getting very excited to go now, at your suggestion I included Lost Valley and Rush into my itinerary. Those two stops and the back roads in between will likely fill my day.

There is totally more there that I want to see than one day will allow, I get the feeling from your report I'll be wanting to return to it once I get a taste.
It will take some time to travel between Lost Valley and Rush. A way to break up the drive might be to stop in Jasper and visit the Hilary Jones Wildlife Museum. Free admission. We stopped in and spent about 20 minutes there. There's some good exhibits for kids and some things they can touch and feel. They also have a whole room of free brochures about the area. http://www.arkansaselkcenter.com/museum.html
_____

Didn't close enough to identify the sex and species of snake?:) Love the water falls and caves. Thanks for posting up. Nice LJ too.
I don't personally go around touching snakes. Not my thing... Hopefully I can get the LJ built up a little this year.
_____

Wow, certainly seemed like a great adventure. I especially loved the cave photos. So many beautiful sites!
That cave was a blast. I think the state park is one of the few places left where you can go in a cave unguided. White Nose Syndrome in bats has caused restricted access to caves in the area.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
We really want to take a trip to the Ozarks. From what other people have told me, it's going to be hot and humid in July. Have you taken a trip to the Ozarks in July or August?

TripLeader

Explorer
We really want to take a trip to the Ozarks. From what other people have told me, it's going to be hot and humid in July. Have you taken a trip to the Ozarks in July or August?

I've been there in the summer. Unless you're caving, prepare for hot & humid weather. If you've been thinking about a mountain trip or going to a place up north, that's the time to do it.

I've spent some time in SW Missouri in the summer. It gets hot. I Googled the average temps for Jasper, AR. It showed the average temps in July and August are basically 88-90 degrees, with average overnight lows in the upper 60s.

fortel

Adventurer
Humidity is a moving target, but unless you are from the southeast U.S. where high humidity is an accepted part of life you can count on it feeling pretty humid that time of year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne