Waeco/Dometic cf50 ac/dc fridge freezer

Has anyone here have positive or negative experience with the waeco/dometic52 quart fridge freezer?
It seems to have the same low power draw danfoss compressor as other more expensive units, and, it reviews well in other forums.
It seems like a better, lower cost "alterna-fridge" than the edgestar stuff, which have a higher current draw, and some amount of bad reviews based on power cord connector failures (whcih also seems easily fixed most of the time.

The waeco/dometic seels for about $550-ish.
The Edgestar sells for $500-ish and sometimes less.

Attachments

• cf-050ac110--.jpg
    cf-050ac110--.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 491
The waeco/dometic is 52 quart.
The edgestar/whynter is 63 quart.
Having never used one, I don't know if 52 quarts is enough? It would be for just me and my dog mostly, with the occasional girlfriend tag-along

Whytner

Attachments

• be5dcbe1-3747-4451-a7bd-476f0433f5bc_400.jpg
    be5dcbe1-3747-4451-a7bd-476f0433f5bc_400.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 483

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I own both

If you are serious buy the Waeco
Just a weekender buy the Edgestar

Scratch and dent Edgestars (43Q & 63Q) can be had for ~$285 I have owned both sizes stayed with the 43Q

Because I'm not yet that savvy about these things; I never really noticed the arb/engle/waeco are "single zone" and if you want frozen meat or ice cream, I guess you really want dual zone.

So maybe something like the waeco cfx-65dz is more better for "gonna be living out of my camping trailer for a week or three at a time" use...?
Capacity (Liters) 61 total
(19 freezer, 42 fridge)

Attachments

• cfx-65dzus.jpg
    cfx-65dzus.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 480

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wife and I have been using an Indel-B (Truckfridge 41 qt for a couple of years and it's more than big enough for the two of us.
I had a Dometic CF18 and it worked great. Sold it because it was too small and got the Truckfridge instead. Now I wish I'd gotten the Dometic just because it looks like the lid is hinged on the long side rather than on the short side, which makes my Truckfridge a PITA to open up while in the truck. Other than that it works great.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Waeco CF-50 actually has an area above the compressor that runs about ~15° warmer than the other part of the fridge. This feature is what made my decision to go with Waeco. For the day I keep the main fridge very cold and use the warmer area for fruits, vegges, and leafed produce. Personally I have never had a use for a freezer in my travels.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Are you saying: if you set it right, the waeco 50 could really be both fridge and freezer, via that temp difference?

All the above fridges have the ability to be used as a freezer. The Waeco just happens to have an area that works great for produce when used as a fridge. The area Im referring is much smaller than the main compartment.

1822387-waeco-cf50-dual-power-fridge-0.jpg

psykokid

Explorer
I love my CF-50. Runs for about 4 days on my Arkpak with a 80ah AGM battery set at 32 deg with the insulating cover. Lives in the back of my truck full time.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Has anyone here have positive or negative experience with the waeco/dometic52 quart fridge freezer?
It seems to have the same low power draw danfoss compressor as other more expensive units, and, it reviews well in other forums.
It seems like a better, lower cost "alterna-fridge" than the edgestar stuff, which have a higher current draw, and some amount of bad reviews based on power cord connector failures (whcih also seems easily fixed most of the time.

The waeco/dometic seels for about $550-ish.
The Edgestar sells for $500-ish and sometimes less.

I've tested my 43qt Edgestar under controlled conditions and found it's power consumption to be well within the average for similar-size fridges. You are correct about the power cord & socket arrangement being subpar (also the flimsy carrying handles). I did have to deal with these items early on with mine. That aside, it's been a great unit.

In this review (kindof dated now), a Waeco had the highest power consumption. Just looking at pics of the units, they don't appear to have as thick insulation. That said, I have not personally used one.
http://expeditionportal.com/overland-journal-portable-12v-fridge-review/

takesiteasy

Adventurer
We've had the Dometic cf50 for about 3 years and have had a good experience with it. Keeps the food cold. I haven't measured any power use statistics but we run ours off a Diehard group 34 marine battery (small- 68 ah) which has been sufficient. We are usually driving during the day to charge the battery but it will run the fridge for a couple of days without charging depending on how hot it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94