M1101 trailer build UEV 440 kinda

hamthis

Observer
Well Here it goes.

I have been a long time looker and now I am a builder. I have officially started construction on Saturday 4/25/15

I bought 2 M1101 Trailers back in December of 2014 Total cost minus gas to pick them up was $1200.00. I only wanted to build out one of them so I sold the second trailer for $1,300 so I'm $100 up from my initial purchase, woo who. Registration and title for the trailer cost was a whopping $89.00 so the rest of the build will now start to cost some money.

My idea for the build is as follows. I want to copy the UEV 440 Australian adventure trailer. Mainly because I can't buy one and they are 50k, They really have one of the coolest designs out there.
Here is the 440
uev-440-03.jpg

Here are my build ideas. I designed the M1101 in Google Sketchup. I do not have the tent portions on the sketchup file I will build them after I have the framing done.
M1101 .jpg

M1101 b.jpg

M1101 a.jpg

Here are the pictures of my trailer starting point.
IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Last edited:

hamthis

Observer
Here is the first day of building.

I also just got some Hummer H2 tires and rims to lower the trailer down 2.5 inches.

IMG_0876.jpg

Here is what $250 will buy you at the steel store.
IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

This is the progress after 1 day. I'm not sure it is going to go this fast from this point forward. But the skeleton is there.

hamthis

Observer
I'm not sure what the weight is going to be. I will being doing a final weight in the end of the build. I am hoping for less than 3k pounds but I have know idea. I am planning on pulling the trailer with a Chevy 2015 2500. This truck can easily pull 3k I have pulled our forklift which has a total lift and trailer weight of 9k pounds. I also am building the trailer to fit into my garage which has an opening height of 7'6"

hamthis

Observer
I am in need of some help.

I am sending a top down sliced view of how my doors are going to line up with the frame.
I am going to use some push on weatherstripping with a 3/8" rubber seal.

I am not sure how I am going to lock the doors/flip downs. I have two ideas.
here is the drawing of my frame and the panels.
Cut View.jpg

I was thinking of insalling anitluce Latches. LINK I am having touble sorucing these in the US. These are adjustable to get a tight fit on the panel.
Here is what they use on the UEV 440
1880566.jpg

I also came across these other pop latches I think they could work really well too. LINK I cut in a hole in the drawing to show location of the latch.
I could but them in a set of 6 on ebay link
thumbpresschrome3.jpg

Both of these style of latches can be adjusted to improve the seal on the doors.

Let me know your thoughts.

that guy

Looks great. How are you going to attach the (kitchen? ) on the front of the trailer? Are you going to cut the side of the trailer for access? Thanks.

hamthis

Observer
I'm going to cut the side of the trailer. One problem is that the trailer sits so high. I'm not sure how I am going to make a low cook top.

that guy

There are some frame cross members under the tub in that area that you might mount to. I also have an M1102, I was thinking of having tables hinged along the entire side of the trailer, but in your case you might be able to repurpose that tailgate that is now sitting on the side of your garage, you even have all the hardware to mount it.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I own a Conqueror Commander (UEV 490 equivalent) and am in the US. If you need any specific shots of some of the rig, let me know. Lots of the moving parts are the same.
Some are not.

Thanks
Dendy

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm going to follow this thread. I think the M1101 is a great size for a project like this! Good start!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz