New Avalanche Bumper Build By Brute Force Fab

stevenboise

Observer
I'm starting this thread to document my new bumpers that are being built in Fresno by Billy Simmons at Brute Force Fab.

I've spent countless hours researching bumpers for my 2004 Cladded Avy. Since the cladded version hasn't been made for years, it's tough (if not impossible) to find a manufacturer that still sells bolt-on front bumpers for cladded Avys. I'm not able to build one myself.....that's not my skill set....and I was looking for an established company who's been making bumpers for some years who was willing to take the time to make a custom front and rear bumper for my truck. I did find a few, but ended up choosing Brute Force Fab. Since I live in Boise and he's in Fresno, I had to drive the truck down to him. He'll have it for the next couple weeks building it out.

The front bumper is going to be a typical front winch bumper. The rear bumper is going to have dual swing-out gates with a module design to attach the spare tire and a cargo box. Because it will be module, I can add additional mounts to it for whatever I need in the future. The module design was Billy's idea. I was just looking to put the spare back there and get it out from under the truck. I can't put the spare on the roof as I'm not sure I can get a roof basket on top and still get in the garage now that I lifted the truck a bit. I can't put the spare on the bed covers, like some have done, because our bike rack is going there.

I'll be updating this thread with pictures as Billy gets the bumper built out. I told him that there's a possibility that some readers may have questions and I'd send those questions off to him for an answer if I can't answer it myself.

This has been a long research process and I'm happy that it's finally come to fruition.

This is just a picture of my truck in his garage the day I dropped it off.

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 86

stevenboise

Observer
Here are some pictures of the front bumper tacked up and fitted. There is no grill guard as of yet. This first one shows the passenger side and how he is covering that gap between the bumper and where the cladding comes up to meet the fender. Another topic we discussed at length was keeping the bumper tall enough to cover the washer fluid reservoir without having to relocate it. I know the reservoir is on the driver side but you can see, if for just a representative image, how he's done that.

Attachments

• passenger side tacked.jpg
    passenger side tacked.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 74

stevenboise

Observer
I'll have the inboard lights (the larger round holes) as my DRLs and the smaller outboard holes as my fog lights. I had to do this as PIAA didn't make (or at least I couldn't find them in stock) smaller round yellow lights. So the inboard lights will be PIAA 510 Ion Yellow lights and tied into the wiring for the DRLs. The smaller outboard lights will be PIAA LP530 and tied into the wiring for the fog light switch. The center rectangular hole is for the winch, and the two holes to the left and right of the winch are just relief holes for weight.

As a personal preference, I wanted round lights in the bumper not square. That cost a me bit more but I like that look better......that's just me.

Attachments

• front tacked.jpg
    front tacked.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 76

stevenboise

Observer
Here is a shot of the front with the grill guard tacked in place. The middle cross bar on the front is not centered so there's enough headspace to set a pair of PIAA LP560's on the bumper below that cross bar.

Another design problem that we've been discussing for months is the "hole" in front of headlights. The grill guard follows the hood-line and wraps around the headlights, but what do we do to help protect the headlights? One option was the continue that middle cross bar through that "hole." Billy set that up and it looked like crap. Another option is to use thinner, maybe 3/8" bar, in that area. It's a tough call. Not sure what the final answer will be.

Attachments

• grill front view.jpg
    grill front view.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67

stevenboise

Observer
Another angle of the front bumper.

Next is to take it back down off the truck and get it welded up and check the fit to the truck again. He expects that he'll have to make some adjustments, then do a final clean up of the bumper before it goes off to the powdercoater.

Attachments

• grill side view.jpg
    grill side view.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 72

stevenboise

Observer
Progress on the rear bumper as the front bumper gets some finish work done to it in preparation for final fitting and powder coating.

The two outboard, square openings are for additional back up lighting for the outdoors.

Attachments

• rear bumper 1.jpg
    rear bumper 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 62

stevenboise

Observer
An another angle showing some detail on how the bumper molds with the cladding.

Attachments

• rear bumper 2.jpg
    rear bumper 2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 59

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looks good. I visit billy when I can and seen your truck in the shop. It's coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevenboise

Observer
I spoke with Billy yesterday afternoon on my way into work....I work nights....and he's still on track. He has been working on some Toyota orders as well. He told me he has the front bumper welded up on the inside and plans on getting the outside welded tomorrow and Saturday. It is currently off the truck. The rear bumper is the same. The swing-outs for the rear bumper will get worked on this weekend or early next week. The plan is to have them both to the powder coater by next Friday.

The parts for the roof rack have started coming in as well. His part-time help will be in on Saturday and between the two of them they hope to have the front bumper welded up and the roof rack fabricated.

I don't have any new pictures of the current condition of the build, but Billy sent me some pictures of the construction framework underneath the front bumper.

Not only is Billy lacking in social media and internet skills, but he lacks in the photography department too. Guess it's a good thing he knows welding and bumpers.

Attachments

• Construction 1.jpg
    Construction 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 46

stevenboise

Observer
Last of the anothers.....evidently I can't say the same thing in back-to-back posts.

Attachments

• Construction 5.jpg
    Construction 5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34

stevenboise

Observer
Got some post-powdercoating photos from Billy this morning. He's hanging the front and rear bumpers today. Monday I fly back to Fresno and pick up the truck and bring her home. It's been a long four weeks, but the worth looks like it will be worth it all.

Attachments

• front bumper 1.jpg
    front bumper 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior