E350 Gray Vhale Build Thread

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Greetings!

First off, thank you everyone for all of the great feedback and encouragement you provide for each other and previous lurkers like myself.

You may have seen my posts in other places around the forum…we were initially dead set on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a FWC Hawk out back…then we were positive we wanted a Sprinter. As the build progresses you'll see what kinds of features we prioritized. Wife and I are in our late 30's, we have a 3 year old son, and a mid-sized pooch. We live on Colorado's Front Range and we are both teachers so we've got summer's off together. We are really lucky to make this happen and at the same time it feels risky, but we've made ourselves feel better by saying, "We have 3 months of the year off of work together, we can't NOT make this happen!"

It's a 2010 RB Cargo with the V10...I felt we'd need it with the amount of driving I do with 3-4 mountain bikes on the hitch rack cruising up in to the mountains. Had to have it shipped from Long Island. The dealer said the engine was "clean enough to eat a meatball off of." That pretty much sold me - kidding, I had a mechanic check it out and it looks to be in good shape. It's got 78k miles and looks really clean. Dealer said the previous owner was in the music recording business - they had bulkhead and the cargo area was finished with plywood and carpet as you'll see. We really didn't want white...silver works for us. Might get a matte black grille or plasti-dip it someday. Kiddo really likes animals and my wife immediately said that if I found a silver one it would be called the Gray Whale...so Gray Vhale it is!

When it showed up at our house though, the driver side door handle was stuck in the open position and wouldn't open the door - pretty sure the hamfisted truck driver did that thinking the door was unlocked. No biggie - I pulled the panel that afternoon and got things readjusted properly - it should stay fixed now but if anyone knows a permanent solution I'm all ears.

Here is the van in the drive-way...the 4Runner in the scene is what this eventually replaces when it has a car seat in it.
m6h-Jn7jlJBDqsSXO8pdNzNYWg6-FcMd8HlCuYpkGyM=w308-h408-p-no

These beauties are going in (kiddo turned the headrests around). The big box is a queen size futon that will go on a modular platform. This is the most contentious part of the build. I don't want it to fit but my wife says it has to fit...so it's going to fit. We lose a lot of "living area" with it, and it's going to make it a PITA to keep this the "transformer" build I had in my mind going into this, but it makes her happy so I'm going to be happy with it. She wants a super comfy place to crash for a nap with the kiddo in the afternoon while I'm out riding bikes. We can make that work!
pCTUveNuPL_1FupzPRVsGEsDHH3zBLfkPB3I9sDG7ZQ=w306-h408-p-no

A view of the interior with the bulk head and a random leftover shelf removed.
twkglHpl4696FTkJ1zRfCCd_UCVm0c7u9xmIz-EM9iA=w308-h408-p-no

I had to destroy the plastic TRW ap66 plastic push in screws to remove these plastic door covers - anyone know where to order more? Google isn't giving anything up on them. They go in the 1/4" holes of the door.
8BAQ3peFqm8nMWU85V4VfiXBnab_BX-XXXgfGg_xvVc=w308-h408-p-no

Took out the carpet covered 1/4" plywood to find this insulation work behind it. It was effective in the hot sun, but I'm going to try to do better. Doing some sound deadening and am pretty sure insulation will go like this: Dynamat Extreme patchwork throughtout, XPS pink board glued to biggest bare metal areas, 3M Thinsulate worked in to the small places and then large pieces over the top of XPS in a continuous fashion, then Reflectix, then my walls. We are kind of freaks about off gassing, so I think the walls will be car siding rather than plywood...any thoughts on that? We don't plan on building a lot of permanent cabinetry and most of the storage will be under the bed.
xL1_qc8Fj4N-2r9uBOHToH67u1EHnTQyBj8O1MrFK1Q=w308-h408-p-no

Dynamat Extreme
KYBONXHOO1yvnNwLJzMXPbl3tP8kUPkPQrPu2RcIJ7o=w308-h408-p-no

Taking up this carpet and plywood to check for rust, then putting down BedRug VanRug over a layer of Reflectix.
XSTwZhl0Vq_pGOUJJA9dSLNiF7_M9G4PbkvQ79AX83A=w308-h408-p-no

iPod plugs in the stereo:wings:missed that for a few years with the 2006 4Runner, need a new antenna, gotta figure out how to remove headliner from above cab without ruining fasteners. Doing an All-Glass look CRL window right behind driver seat - going to be the bigger one that doesn't fit the traditional cutouts - will this work? We'd have to cut in to the second layer of metal inside the fan. Thinking of doing it myself - $300 window and I have a jigsaw. Vanworks in the Fort can do it for $650 but not sure about timeframe yet. Need this to be rolling with window, seats, and bed by June.

:victory: thanks for reading! Any and all constructive criticism is welcomed!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
When it showed up at our house though, the driver side door handle was stuck in the open position and wouldn't open the door - pretty sure the hamfisted truck driver did that thinking the door was unlocked. No biggie - I pulled the panel that afternoon and got things readjusted properly - it should stay fixed now but if anyone knows a permanent solution I'm all ears.

Had that happen once. I was the ham-fist who did it. There was a nub on the handle that fit under a lever in the door. Once I had forced it to where the nub jumped past the lever...it kept happening. And kept getting worse.

I fixed it by extending the nub a bit. Drilled and tapped a hole in the end of the nub, and screwed in a little 6-32 screw. Then I filled it in with JB Weld, and then rounded it off with a file. It made the nub about 3/16" longer, and the problem never happened again.

I was an electrician, so it was the same screw that is used to hold a cover plate on a wall receptacle, and I used my handy Klein electrician's multi-tap:

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tapping-tools/6-1-tapping-tool

tgreening

Expedition Leader
On the fasteners: Try your local automotive paint & body supplier. Just about any decent sized town will have one or more, and they usually have those bits and pieces, or can get them for you.

Last edited:

350outrage

Adventurer
Auto Zone or just about any auto parts store has those plastic push pins for 1/4" hole. Other than that; I'd just say that it looks like your van already has a lot of work done on it, and while it may not be "perfect", you can sure get bogged down in too much "rehab" of whats there. If it were me, I'd probably leave the existing wall and floor coverings, and start on the modular interior. . . . Unless you just like working on the van more than using it. What has already been done looks pretty good to me. Sharp Van! You'll probably never turn a wrench on that v-10. Just keep the oil changed and feed it! Cheers!

depark

Observer
Doing an All-Glass look CRL window right behind driver seat - going to be the bigger one that doesn't fit the traditional cutouts - will this work?

You bet it will work. Here is a picture of my van with CRL windows. It started as a cargo van.
Cheers
Darryl

attachment.php

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
You bet it will work. Here is a picture of my van with CRL windows. It started as a cargo van.

Missing your picture, Darryl...but glad to hear. I've seen a couple shots...just don't know how involved it will be. Does the gasket have trouble sealing when moving across that rib? We want a big window view for the little one.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Had that happen once. I was the ham-fist who did it. There was a nub on the handle that fit under a lever in the door. Once I had forced it to where the nub jumped past the lever...it kept happening. And kept getting worse.

It feels pretty solid right now - just had to grab that plastic lever in the door with vice-grips to rock it back past the nub from the handle. Hopefully it will hold but I like that idea of making the nub a little taller. I'll see what I can do before putting insulation over that hole for access in the door. Thanks!

philos

Explorer
Super easy to cut and install your own window.
You can also find pop-out rear and side windows at the junkyard. I had to make several trips to find a set over a couple months, but they're super worth it. You'll need a phillips screwdriver, a 10mm (i think it's 10mm) socket, and a putty knife to pry them off the junk van. Takes like 3-4 minutes per window to remove and a few longer to reinstall.

89s rule

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing the window install and which window you went with.

Also, What seats were the ones pictured?

Last edited:

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing the window install and which window you went with.

Also, What seats were the ones pictured?

I picked up some grey/black Sienna recliners. Like you said in another thread, they are more expensive than when people first started using them in these vans but I thought it would be worth it, especially because the color worked for us. Got MG's bases through UJOR and also some L-Track I have yet to start working on. I'll post an update tonight if I can.

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Insulation and Window update

Lots of non-van related responsibilities as of late plus nearly 3 weeks of unusually rainy weather here on the front range slowed me down as well because I don't have a shop to work in. Moved through plenty of highs and lows too, with my comfort in taking on this task, but I think I should be able to make everything happen.

Here's my old Toyota pickup...the first vehicle in which I did my own honest to goodness solo road trip...about 3k miles up in to BC, down the west coast and across deserts back to the midwest. Daryl was it's name after the old guy I bought it from back in Iowa...an '81 with 60k miles was new to me in 2001. My middle name is Fred and I was a "truck patch" farmer. Man, I don't have any pictures of it but I had this six foot topper on it and used to haul my produce, and an Amish guy's produce and flowers to market in it. That truck did more work over the years than most trucks do in America these days. Those were the days. Then I just became a gardener, and now a middle school Biology teacher. When I went back to school to get my teaching degree I took a summer off for that trip. Put a Weber carb in it before I left and that little 22r ran like a top the whole time. Pretty sure I had to replace the slave cylinder in the clutch somewhere near SLC on separate trip though. Rust was its demise...it was taking over by the time I'd bought Daryl and with the time and money I had those days I was just putting bandaids on it. Decided to enter the modern world when i moved to Colorado for my first teaching job...I hear it's still on the road though!

hEGkQU1nN6Qm6GAIYehDlyKjwBjRnoXplaUBh-rHtv4=w954-h634-no

sMNiK7aWVNJCO0QmC3DhwZmkYqTV91T1n75Za2bsF3U=w954-h634-no

I picked out this beauty before moving to Colorado...

NLscBocYro1gLsvAXpVH2bN9NnF_QUdEJxJuiBPZIPU=w846-h634-no

But with a little one on the way we needed more doors so out with the new and in with the slightly older 4Runner

58AwYI02kf45ZMaW79j32-TsV4RSnMvCZDFyvmguUzU=w476-h634-no

Aaaand....back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Started insulation with Reflectix and 3M Thinsulate. Lots of people are spraying on adhesive for these products but I'm avoiding that. Going with a combination of the foil Reflectix tape, 3M double stick tape, and then panels and hardware holding on the final layers.

Couldn't leave that much Thinsulate on the door panel...just wouldn't go on...but I left the Reflectix on and ended up cutting all but the top third of the Thinsulate off and stuffed it in to the empty spaces around the panel pockets and around the interior door handle to cut down on noise and cold infiltration.

DLyx9urC-W2JFZEvYxiufSQVq8Bs3oLurcIozP-NDVQ=w476-h634-no

Then I started cutting panels of Reflectix and sliding it in to every void I could find:

The rear pillars which hold the tail lights:

oo6vB0rieCFwXsK7WAQb_JixC--WDWQflgt_GjRQvOU=w476-h634-no

btLEHrT0bj02WxMDvU40suYOKJgBQSpfyMft7iJ1dDw=w476-h634-no

Between the two layers of the body, over the wheel wells...you can see my VanRug is down now...you can see some of the Thinsulate I started placing as a second layer in these voids:

1hWKZtozPvn41wkL4Cl7fooIuUomgpBT8N66YSE4T5g=w846-h634-no

Then I started stuffing Thinsulate in those places. It fits just snug enough to hold the Reflectix in place but not really be compressed - lots of airspace still present. I measured and cut the scrim with a utility blade and then did the final cut just through the Thinsulate with utility scissors. Then held up panels and found good places to cut them again so they would be workable sizes to be able to move into the spaces without too much struggle.

FIb4K4TmHEWUtr0iFePB7UgQJPW8Knhxxk9u23FKJc0=w476-h634-no

nNPmuxt2GQW_KOIGGv_sNbTS5hoS0nsfJxkw1PO04Gc=w846-h634-no

I guess I forgot to take an "after" photo of the Thinsulate above but I fit it neatly and maintained its shape between the two layers of metal.

Then it was time to start putting the "interior" layer of Reflectix down and another layer of Thinsulate will go on top between it and the interior panels.

BRgVp3VCOkiOjz-fmmyKzb2PfqYLd2NclxqI9aocoqA=w846-h635-no

DeBxmlMSc1KMCYQrXSCrIYHyp4jZwmfnAuheMeklgK8=w846-h635-no

WAIT!!! Where did that window come from? It's a C.R. LAURENCE VW21601L CRL T-Slider Window - Driver Side Forward 1992+ Ford Vans 44-1/4" x 22"

JWA over at the SMB forum gave me some pointers as did perusing a bunch of other threads here and there.

Stencil cut and placed.

-tV36Ts4cfA0pgehE_RZV8oX4lwcndCMAu05JmURvuw=w846-h635-no

Taped it off (here I'm almost finished cutting it out with a jigsaw).

DPr8H7TlSbfC1v38PSDDcm3F-qkPyRMfQj9xEhs61AQ=w846-h635-no

Cut through both layers at once:

3NjNdFGZ010qikDlekj8FrLGqjCwUTrwt0Y6omtvYdE=w904-h678-no

Then if you look back at the interior shots you can see how roughly I cut the interior whole bigger for the inner clamp ring using my cutoff wheel and hand shears. Not the cleanest but I got the job done:

vS2B2cUDgJ9i0AIfVzvf_0Mpe6v6LihchUaKj9voLl4=w904-h678-no

_Rabb0rpFylmFL7_bgmcjqD00yfXl-QbX_8ws6Ulsi4=w846-h635-no

I cut the hole too small initially and had to do some tedious resizing to get the window to easily fit. Used silicone sealant/adhesive as I couldn't find round butyl tape as narrow as recommended. Should hold up well...going to be a PITA to trim around the inside though - I left myself very little room to work with.

Another interior shot:

HptcDnAwF4FlR6S4XzPdVDWc7WwWeBKvEVWWfcrFQfs=w476-h634-no

Window ruminations are...out the window! As you can see these tires won't fit under the van:

wTu_i0Af0CoP4t9e1RSTZgpdfmZ4bMpesApOq9kFPeM=w846-h635-no

Chris from UJOR is sending a crate my way and Greg at Greg's 4WD Extreme in Longmont, Co are going to help me with the conversion. Couldn't be more excited! 6" Stage 2 with ProComps on 35" BFG KO2's should get me around, ya think?!

Hopefully I'll finish insulating and mess around with one of the Sienna seats and L-track before it heads over to Greg's shop. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94