Whitewater canoe

XpeditonTERRA

I have been looking into getting a canoe or kayak recently. I came across a 11 foot white water canoe. It is a Mohawk probe 11. I am wondering if I could take this canoe on a slow moving river or if it would be to difficult to keep straight. I know canoes designed for whitewater have a lot of rocker and that can cause them to be difficult to keep straight. I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with this type of canoe.
Thanks

S

Squatchout

I've never paddled that particular boat. But I suggest evaluating how you will use the boat. If you will sometimes do whitewater then it may be OK. But whitewater boats can be slow on quiet water and a hand full in the wind. If you have no plans for WW then I would look for a craft better suited to your uses.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I tried a white water canoe in a slow river last summer and flailed around a bit. I wasn't used to it though, so I'd imagine with some practice it would get easier. I had fun. I regularly take my 14' Prospector in Class 2 waters, and would go for some Class 3 if I scouted it and my kids weren't with me. If you're looking for versatility, I'd not get a whitewater canoe.

XpeditonTERRA

After a lot of research and talking to some guys on another forum I decided a more traditional solo canoe would be more versatile and soot most of my needs. I have been looking at a few models that are capable of 1 and 2 class rapids. After I develop my paddleing skills and if I need more of a thrill, then I will get a ww canoe or kayak later on down the road.

vicali

Adventurer
Good call, we have a 16ft prospector- needed an all rounder that would be at home on a big lake trip and still handle some moving water. Plus it's fun enough on flat water that I don't get bored!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I own a Probe 12. You can paddle it on flatwater but you won't like paddling it on flatwater. I've got a Bell Yellowstone which is good for flatwater and up to Class II.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste