SNAPSHOT: Lockhart Basin Rd

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
The Lockhart Basin Rd is the longest "difficult" Jeep trail in the Moab area, at 57+ miles long. It can be done in one long day, but our group tackled it over two days. We did this trip just after Overland Expo 2014, and made our way through the spectacular Valley of the Gods on the way. Our group consisted of 4 vehicles (XPCamper Tacoma V2 Prototype, EEXP, Jeep Rubicon on 35s & a well sorted Nissan Xterra). It was the first off-road trip in the freshly built EEXP and highlighted many of the vehicle's capabilities, as well as weaknesses. Differential lockers are not required on this trail, but for sure make a number of the more challenging stair step like obstacles much easier on both the vehicle and trail. Lockhart Basin is a classic off-road route that is worthy of your time and effort. Enjoy with friends and savor the memories. I know I plan to go back and do it again soon.

Check out the full report with tons of great images here:
SNAPSHOT: Lockhart Basin Rd

LockhartBasinRd-1.jpg

LockhartBasinRd-32.jpg

LockhartBasinRd-35.jpg

LockhartBasinRd-39.jpg

v_man

Explorer
Very nice , our group just went through Lockhart , albeit the other way ... nice write up .

unkamonkey

Explorer
We did that road around 5 years ago, Indian Creek around through Moab and back to our campsite. It took over 15 hours. The 3 Jeeps had no problems really but the F350 crew cab long bed had a problem in some of the corners.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the kind words guys. Was a really fun route.

unkamonkey- There are some tight spots in there for sure and turning radius, as well as breakover, are both quite compromised with a long bed/long wheelbase full size truck. That is one of the main reasons I went with a short wheel base platform on the EEXP, especially since I run no lift and only 33" tires. Width and height of the EEXP camper made for some quite tight squeezes on Lockhart.

Willman

Thanks for sharing Bryon! That food looks really good. I always eat better camping!

For all the exploring you do....you need some sliders!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for sharing Bryon! That food looks really good. I always eat better camping!

For all the exploring you do....you need some sliders!

Sliders have been on my list from day 1, but budget and availability, without going custom, has been an issue. While I off-road the rig, I also know its limitations and try hard to push them, without stepping over the proverbial line. A rear locker and sliders would make it way more capable. A 2" lift and 35" tires would make it even better, at least for North American travel, as it wouldn't fit in a container and replacement tires would be harder to find in other countries in the bigger size.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Actually, the teanager driving the F350 had no traction issues on the trail, the long wheelbase sort of kept his tires out of the holes dug by other vehicles, a diesel, 5 speed and low range says that he never ran out of power and I think he has something in the rear axle to help as well. Years later, he's figured out that mud isn't his friend, all of those parts in the front axle aren't fun or cheap to replace. Kind of amazing how much flex happens in a truck like this offroad.

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Actually, the teanager driving the F350 had no traction issues on the trail, the long wheelbase sort of kept his tires out of the holes dug by other vehicles, a diesel, 5 speed and low range says that he never ran out of power and I think he has something in the rear axle to help as well. Years later, he's figured out that mud isn't his friend, all of those parts in the front axle aren't fun or cheap to replace. Kind of amazing how much flex happens in a truck like this offroad.

I hear that! My truck has no lockers and the wheelbase seemed to be the perfect length to have issues with some of the stair step like obstacles. Longer wheel base would help in those circumstances, but make some of the tight turing obstacles a bit harder. All parts on these big trucks are expensive. Pretty easy to get, but expensive.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Probably 98% of that road I did in 2WD high range, then again I have 5:38 gears and a V6 in my Jeep and a powerlock rear axle.
The best part was driving out of Moab in a good thunderstorm with only an umbrella top. There's a reason I have a squeege in the Jeep to clean the inside of the windshield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94