Hugh's scrach build of small slide in pop up

hugh_h

Observer
Hi everybody anywhere !
OK so after long time of reading on this portal it's time for me to write something :)
I'm going to show build-up of slide-in po-pup for pick-up it is completely mine project. I've started building about February this year, and I think got max 2 more months from now to finish it. Plans for more important parts I prepared earlier, but simple stuff are planned on the go.

I'm from Poland and so I'm not native English speaker so please be understanding to me, but also please PM and correct me if I've wrote something really bad.
One more thing I need to say ist that if you see hcd logo on photos it's just a logo - hcd it is not a company it's only mine logo.

At first mine car … I have Nissan model D21 pick-up '97 called hardbody, early navara, king cab depends on part of the word.
Last couple years I've been rebuilding it nut by nut, starting from replacing frame after crash where 3 cars stopped on my back. Frame was completely stripped then sanded, painted, polyurethane bushings, new brake lines, etc.
P1050708.JPG

Complete transmission rebuild.

Then I've swapped engine from TD25 80HP to TD27 Turbo 100HP, it's not a great deal with horse power but trque makes the difference.
swap08.jpg

Last year I did truck bed repair and thinking about camper I put my own design air bags.
airride32.jpg

.. side bars, roof rack, light bar, and many another stuff. If you interested have look here on my work log gallery : http://hcd-customdevices.pl/jalbum/Pickup/index.html

10858376_1513826235533949_6008799075450860713_n.jpg

I use my car for everyday drive to work and for offroad trips and also for towing my trailer. BTW trailer was also rebuild by me :)

I started thinking about longer trips and then I found that people have something like slide-in campers for their truck – yep that's the one I want !

At first thought I wanted it to be as small as possible and it was going to be something like this.
1607103_1562559777300976_1406387011722501818_n.jpg

10645098_1562559957300958_4487716485584481174_n.jpg

Than I realised that it be too small for me and ended up with typical cabover concept.
mszkic.jpg

What I plan …
as mentioned before pop-up roof and cab over
mainly for 2 adults, but sleeping for 1 more should be possible
sleeping with roof down should be possible maybe not comfortable but just possible, it be hard to achieve but I will try
I don't want camper to jut out a lot to the sides so it is going to be about 1,6m (63”) wide it means that I have slide out bed.
When bed is pulled I want to have access to sink, stove, table. It's should be possible to make coffee and use laptop when somebody is sleeping... truck bed is about 1,9m (75”) long

mfcad04.jpg

mP1080533.jpg

mP1080541.jpg

mP1080632.jpg

mP1080717.jpg

Last edited:

hugh_h

Observer
I'm doing progress everyday, but now i show you pics from the first try on the car.
The idea was to build each wall separately and later on put it together, instead of building everything as one part.
You newer knew did you made all measurements right so with some anxiety I put walls together and all the puzzles fit right.
mP1080731.jpg

mP1080734.jpg

mP1080741.jpg

mP1080743.jpg

mP1080779.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
Wow, you're not screwing around on this one. At this pace we should have a shakedown trip report from Yellowstone by Monday!

Craftsmanship looks top notch to my admittedly untrained eye!:sombrero:

hugh_h

Observer
Thanx it niece to hear that you enjoy my work.

Yes it goes quite fast but it's like taking another shift after work.

Couple days a go window and door frame arrived.
mP1090165.jpg

Heater
mP1090144.jpg

and sink and stove.
mP1090526.jpg

as you can see I've got whole walls glued together and whole is sitting on the trolley that I welded earlier
mP1080909.jpg

mP1080911.jpg

mP1080830.jpg

low277

Nice work! It is great to see what other people from around the world are building and how they do it!! Keep posting!

Colorado CJ

Observer
Excellent work!

Could you tell me what brand sink/stove that is? I've been looking for one for my build, but can't find anything like that.

Thanks.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Swedeski

Adventurer
Excellent work! Nice to see another home made European truck-camper. I have a bigger truck but not a cabover camper, so the livingspace will be kind of equal. Really looking forward to see Your progress. Pozdrowienia ze Szwecji.

hugh_h

Observer
It's time for the roof. It's going to be wooden frame with H shaped crosspieces made of plywood and stripwood. Whole surface of the roof is shaped for strength. It's about 2" thick at the middle, less on the sides.
mP1090070.jpg

mP1090265.jpg

mP1090521.jpg

I'm still thinking about roof lifting system. For sure it has to be 100% manual, no pneumatics, no winches etc, further more due to strength of roof it must be fixed on left / right side rather than front / back.

I know typical FWC system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpozfh_Xo4Q
I thinking abut something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGmd9lUWTM
or http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68956-Forest-Service-Road-Adventure-Mobile
but how the whole thing it's not collapsing to the sides ?

Got any other ideas please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier