2nd Battery and solar choice -- more questions

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I know this question has been asked about mixing battery types. What is the downside of using an AGM battery for the house and isolating it from the flooded lead acid starting battery? Should I get all scientific about this set up for my van that is used for camping camping trips during the summer?

I was thinking it may be less expensive to replace a battery every few years rather than spending hundreds or even a thousand for a super high tech dual battery set up that powers my 62 liter ARB fridge/freezer, a couple of laptops, and our smart phones.

I talked with a guy today who builds dual battery systems for boats and he said that I will shorten the life of the AGM. I want a simple set up that works and does not cost a fortune.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I know this question has been asked about mixing battery types. What is the downside of using an AGM battery for the house and isolating it from the flooded lead acid starting battery? Should I get all scientific about this set up for my van that is used for camping camping trips during the summer?

I was thinking it may be less expensive to replace a battery every few years rather than spending hundreds or even a thousand for a super high tech dual battery set up that powers my 62 liter ARB fridge/freezer, a couple of laptops, and our smart phones.

I talked with a guy today who builds dual battery systems for boats and he said that I will shorten the life of the AGM. I want a simple set up that works and does not cost a fortune.

The prohibition against mixing batteries (age, type, size, make, model, brand, color, etc.) applies when the batteries are tied into a FULL TIME battery bank. When they are only tied during charging, there is no issue.

Both flooded and AGM require roughly the same charge routine. In other words, what works for one will work for the other.

Gels are different. Don't mix Gels with anything other than other Gels.

Joe917

Explorer
Flooded and AGM do not charge at the sane rate, most manufacturers vary slightly, follow the battery manufacturer numbers not the charger manufacturer.
In general, bulk charge not adjusted for temp: Flooded 14.8v
AGM 14.4v
That 0.4v makes a big difference. You can charge flooded at 14.4 but it will take longer than at 14.8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94