How secure are the slide-in campers when attached to the truck

stioc

Expedition Leader
I posted a few questions on the pros and cons in the Sportsmobile section and thought I'd post a couple of questions here too so I can make an informed decision.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/142223-SMB-Van-vs-slide-in-pop-top-camper

I guess the biggest question is how securely are the slide-in camper attached to the truck? I've seen a few methods of attachment and none seem all that secure say in a crash situation or long term bouncing around on the trails. Two how's the off road capability of the truck with a higher CoG of 1200lbs of weight int he truck bed of a 1/2 ton truck (F150, Tundra, RAM, Titan)? I'm not a hardcore rock crawler but I do enjoy tougher trails every now and again.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I posted a few questions on the pros and cons in the Sportsmobile section and thought I'd post a couple of questions here too so I can make an informed decision.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/142223-SMB-Van-vs-slide-in-pop-top-camper

I guess the biggest question is how securely are the slide-in camper attached to the truck? I've seen a few methods of attachment and none seem all that secure say in a crash situation or long term bouncing around on the trails. Two how's the off road capability of the truck with a higher CoG of 1200lbs of weight int he truck bed of a 1/2 ton truck (F150, Tundra, RAM, Titan)? I'm not a hardcore rock crawler but I do enjoy tougher trails every now and again.

Depends on the brand and the options added to the camper, my understanding is weight too far back is the larger issue and design challenge with the off road type campers. The flat bed models enable the floor plans to keep weight forward for a better weight distribution in that regard. Most quality pop tops take the increased cog factor pretty seriously and seem to be pretty good at keeping it fairly low.

The recent and very interesting rig weight thread regarding pickups and campers showed that in most cases you really need to shoot for the lightest camper option and be very dilligent about your packed gear, given everyone seemed really surprised what they were weighing in at. Heavy was the word..

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Just a few examples.

:)

Slick Rock Road with a 4WC and Tundra

Four Wheel Camper Nissan Elephant Hill Canyon Lands

Four-Wheel-Campers Fox - die Offroad Wohnkabine auf dem Hilux

Wheelin'

Saw your thread over in the SMB too, but seeing as how I have a Pop-up, I'll respond here. As far as how securely they stay in the bed, it all comes down to the attachments. Some, like FWC, use more of an in-bed mounting arrangement, others like Hallmark (which I have) use external tie-downs. Done right and checked on and adjusted as needed, both ways work well and there won't be any problems. I had seen on Torklifts website (a major tie-down manufacturer) they have pictures of full hardsides that have rolled and the camper is still attached. Again, correct installation and maintenance. Some don't like the Torklift front connection points as they hang down below the body, so, like me, use the Happijack attachments. These are the tabs that stick out between the cab and the bed. Torklift makes springloaded tie-downs, these go in the front and the more solid connections in the back, per Torklifts instructions. There's some that say off road, the rear should be sprung and the front solid (Hallmark recommends this way), but after hitting some much bigger than they looked potholes, going a little too fast, I follow Torklifts recommendations.

A pop-up is going to be more weight than a SMB. It's a separate structure that needs it's own framing for structural integrity. Even if you go with an empty shell, you're probably heavier combined with the truck. A truck with a pop-up will possibility be a little taller too, but it depends on the SMB you would compare it to. Of course with a SMB, you can't easily unload all of the interior and use the vehicle for daily duties around town and commuting.

As with everything, is all about compromises and how you plan on using it. Whichever way you go, weight is your enemy. I tend to think most of the SMB's are built on heavier 3/4 or 1T chassis, while it's easy to get a pop-up on a 1/2T pick up and then overload it way past it's capacity.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Most of the sportsmobile forums I use to follow had users well over gvwr. Lots of them rolling around over 10k lbs. Quite a difference from a half ton that's a little over weight. Now if you're starting with a crew cab, long bed 4x4 diesel pickup the weight would be closer. Same could be said for height. A 4x4 converted ford sportsmobile is pretty tall!

As far as off road ability, user cobblecrazy has owned both a sportsmobile (as well as many other 4x4 campers) and now a tacoma and four wheel camper, which is his favorite combination so far. Everything is going to have compromises. I love sportsmobiles but they are generally very big, heavy expensive rigs with their own set of problems.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and feedback.

My current truck is a second car, I have a sedan for the daily driving so whatever I go with doesn't necessarily have to be a true dual-duty option, however, if I can garage it that would be ideal (similar to my current truck) but I doubt that will be possible as I already scratch the garage door going in and out with the roof top cargo bag on my truck.

Is anyone here using the FWC-type campers for a family of 2 adults, a 10 to 16yo kid and a dog or similar? I'd like to hear some feedback and comments on the space/room.

One part of me says a slide-in camper is a glorified 800lbs tent semi-permanently attached to a truck vs. a 25lbs 6 person tent. Of course, that's not quite true I won't have to stake the tent into the ground, remove it, if it's raining (not much out here though) I won't have to be drenched to get things setup or packed. It provides a bit more security over a tent, extra water, bedding, food, storage will all have a permanent place.

Based on the videos Stan posted it looks like a slide-in camper will get me to most places I'd want to go. I see a lot of folks run FWC campers on 1/4ton trucks (if they can be classified as such i.e. Tacomas, Frontiers, Colorados). If I went the slide-in camper route I'm thinking the lightest camper (designed for 1/4 ton trucks) on a 1/2 ton with upgraded springs etc would give me a slight advantage over the 1/4 ton trucks (higher payload, stronger motor, more room, better brakes etc). When you get into the 3/4 ton range I think the trucks start to get too big for technical trails?

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I had a 1/2 ton Titan crew cab and decided it couldn't safely carry the FWC camper I was contemplating at the time. After researching and reading posts here and on Wander the West decided to use a 1 ton. You can see my configuration in my signature. I use about half my trucks payload capacity and feel it's the safest configuration for my family. Having said that there are a lot of people running around with FWC campers in 1/2 tons. All are running with suspension and tire modifications. Not wanting to need to modify my suspension is another reason I decided to move up to a 1 ton.

We're a family of 3, son is almost 7, and travel with two 20 lb dogs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and feedback.

My current truck is a second car, I have a sedan for the daily driving so whatever I go with doesn't necessarily have to be a true dual-duty option, however, if I can garage it that would be ideal (similar to my current truck) but I doubt that will be possible as I already scratch the garage door going in and out with the roof top cargo bag on my truck.

Is anyone here using the FWC-type campers for a family of 2 adults, a 10 to 16yo kid and a dog or similar? I'd like to hear some feedback and comments on the space/room.

One part of me says a slide-in camper is a glorified 800lbs tent semi-permanently attached to a truck vs. a 25lbs 6 person tent. Of course, that's not quite true I won't have to stake the tent into the ground, remove it, if it's raining (not much out here though) I won't have to be drenched to get things setup or packed. It provides a bit more security over a tent, extra water, bedding, food, storage will all have a permanent place.

Based on the videos Stan posted it looks like a slide-in camper will get me to most places I'd want to go. I see a lot of folks run FWC campers on 1/4ton trucks (if they can be classified as such i.e. Tacomas, Frontiers, Colorados). If I went the slide-in camper route I'm thinking the lightest camper (designed for 1/4 ton trucks) on a 1/2 ton with upgraded springs etc would give me a slight advantage over the 1/4 ton trucks (higher payload, stronger motor, more room, better brakes etc). When you get into the 3/4 ton range I think the trucks start to get too big for technical trails?

I have two younger kids. I struggle with the simple aspect of not wanting a full size and after lots of research seeing that the Tacoma even with a basic shell model FWC we would be over weight with 4 people. It seems like the current midsized crop do great as solo FWC rigs or packed light husband and wife short trip machines. I cant wait till my kids and I can go Mt Biking my wife would probably go also, which case I think realistically were either doing the tent trailer thing or small 17/18ft hard side rv trailer with bunks, then dragging it with a Midsized suv or 4dr pickup. Even having the truck as the 3rd vehicle I just cant own a full sized around here way too much of a pain Parking.

craig333

Expedition Leader
The camper doesn't hold me back offroad. My truck being my daily driver does that. Its a good idea to check the attachments periodically but they'll stand up to some serious rattling.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've had Happijacs with the same Northstar for 15 yrs on two trucks with zero issues. However,I've never taken the truck places illustrated on the video. Even the anchor pts on the camper are unfazed. I see shots of some other brands rotting out or caving in. Having a balanced load sure helps. My front axle load is 4400#,rear 4000#. I see some rigs on this site and others where I'd be afraid to go up steep inclines.

mkish

Adventurer
As far as fitting 2 adults and 2 kids and a dog, umm...snug. We do that in a Northstar tc800 which is a bit larger than a FWC (or most of them anyway). We can sleep 3 in the cabover bed. If you're outside most of the time it works. Mornings and bedtimes are hectic. Dog takes up an entire third of the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94