Unimog U1300L cab height

BunyipBen

Hi
I am about to live my dream of owning a Unimog, a 1987 U1300L BW Om366A fast axle with new 365/80R20 Continental MPT81 tyres CLAAS overdrive and military trailer is on its way.
I am interested to fit a slide on truck camper to the standard rear bed. I need to know the height of the cab from the floor of the rear bed to see what clearance an over cab sleeper would require.
Thanks for any assistance, I am sure I will be reading many threads on here and posting other requests in the near future.
Cheers
Ben

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I can't answer your question, but I do want to congratulate you on your very cool truck. Good luck with your build.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
With standard tires it's 1280mm from the ground to the bed floor. From the ground to the standard cab (non raised, with military hatch) roof it is 2630mm

From that you should be able to guestimate the distance from the bed floor, to the top of the cab.

However, one thing to keep in mind, especially on an expedition vehicle, is if the camper is not easily removable (ie, not a slide-in or quick detatch) you will be limiting the ease of service, the Cab on the SBU tilts for major (and sometimes minor is easier preformed) service. Another thing to keep in mind when/if planning a cab-over style, is the incredible articulation of the Unimogs frame, you'll need a great distance from the roof to the overhanging cab-over to have full articulation and offroad capability and not hit the overhang.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OxmHJWuy3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9pVpEftTm0

Here is some data for you:

techU1300L.jpg

It of course, has been done:u1300lw_2.jpgmh0011.jpg

Last edited:

BunyipBen

Thanks for the encouragement Mike
and
Thanks for the measurements Trev, I guess I will have to allow for a lot of flex unless the back is removed for serious offloading.
At the moments i am just investigating the dimensions for a slide on style camper that can be removed with a jack stand leg type arrangement.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
You looking to build something like this?

[video=youtube;MdcEhOg-yfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MdcEhOg-yfE[/video]

I don't think this is a slide on, but it is a decent size cab-over

Last edited:

ursus585

Thanks for the encouragement Mike
and
Thanks for the measurements Trev, I guess I will have to allow for a lot of flex unless the back is removed for serious offloading.
At the moments i am just investigating the dimensions for a slide on style camper that can be removed with a jack stand leg type arrangement.
Bunyp Ben , just reading what your up to and what you would like in for of a slide on Camper .
We are building Slide on Campers , when closed up there 1350mm high , open 1960 mm head room .
If your interested we could build a custom unit for you .
Get in touch
Cheers
ursus585

BunyipBen

$_20.JPG
I found this for sale, as far as a build goes it would be nice to utilise area over the cab for a sleeper but so many configurations to consider.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Ben, that would probably disintegrate if you were going to use it on the back of a mog. Not sure if you have been out in the desert or similar, but the correlations are pretty bad and the plywood and tinfoil construction like that would not last more than a week or two. You need something "mog worthy"

We looked at cab-overs initially, but for a main bed, it has one big drawback - you can basically only sleep in it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94