Subcompact crossover sales

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Which case why not the out going Mercedes GLK? Used they easily fall in this cheap new car price range, quality far surpases all of them on your list, interior is superior materials, its rated at 3500lbs us towing capacity, has the proven 7spd awd and has a proven v6 or the industrial grade diesel if you want to be different. Size wise its small which is why its getting a ground up redo and renaming for 2016.

A GLK is a super nice vehicle that is also super expensive to repair. That'd be my worry.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have found that any modern car repair is costly and highly dependant on the dealer. Our local VW dealer charged me $50 to replace a failed cig plug in our 2001 Jetta. A dealer 8 miles away quoted me $300 and said they would need to remove parts of the dash and replace some dohicky under the hood.

Having now lived a yr with a 2005 SLK 350 2800 miles put on it during that time, replaced a windshield, flushed fluids, had belts and tensioner replaced age related, and had some rodent damage fixed, all cost less than my 2001 vw getting its TB and water pump service last summer.

Repair costs today are highly dependant on just how fleeced you get by the dealer or shop doing the work and does not seem brand specific. Especially when you see regular forum posts about people paying Subaru Dealers $400 for a "dealer suggested 30k service" thats nothing more than an oil change.

More and more I see the value of a vehicle largely being how well the auto maker manages its dealers and the quality of the parts they put into the vehicle. Given costly repairs seem to be across the board and non brand specific today.

Dake21

Adventurer
A 4 door Grand Vitara has a wheel base of 103 inches and is offroad capable. The suspension and 4wd drivetrain is awesome on that thing, especially the post 2010 model. That's how crossover should be done imo, a good compromise between truck and car.

haven

Expedition Leader
Sadly, Suzuki cars are no longer sold in USA. So they are not on my list of 2015 subcompact SUVs.

The Mercedes GLK has too long a wheelbase and overall length for my admittedly arbitrary specs. Ditto the Mercedes GLA.

As I mentioned above, one vehicle that is too small for my category is the Wrangler two door. The basic Wrangler is better equipped for off-road adventures than any of the SUVs on my list.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Sadly, Suzuki cars are no longer sold in USA. So they are not on my list of 2015 subcompact SUVs.

The Mercedes GLK has too long a wheelbase and overall length for my admittedly arbitrary specs. Ditto the Mercedes GLA.

As I mentioned above, one vehicle that is too small for my category is the Wrangler two door. The basic Wrangler is better equipped for off-road adventures than any of the SUVs on my list.

Cut and splice the frame and tub. jeep people do it all the time. It is a very popular mod with TJs and YJs owners and there are kits for the SWB JK too.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
There's also roof boxes and tiny cargo trailers for when you actually need the increased cargo room. That way you have a small vehicle the majority of the time (when it's usually one person or two running around town) and room when you need it.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
That's what we do with my SX4. I have a trailer that's a standalone base camp and then we put the bikes on the SX4 and have a fuel efficient vehicle to run around to different trail heads in the area. Or if I want to explore a road that I know will abuse the trailer I leave it at camp that day.

Some people who don't have room to store a trailer won't work for them, but for me a small AWD vehicle and a small trailer is the perfect combo. If more people used trailers I think the subcompact crossover market would be a lot bigger!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
That's what we do with my SX4. I have a trailer that's a standalone base camp and then we put the bikes on the SX4 and have a fuel efficient vehicle to run around to different trail heads in the area. Or if I want to explore a road that I know will abuse the trailer I leave it at camp that day.

Some people who don't have room to store a trailer won't work for them, but for me a small AWD vehicle and a small trailer is the perfect combo. If more people used trailers I think the subcompact crossover market would be a lot bigger!

I love your SX4, one of those will likely be my next vehicle.....or another hatch.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer

This is exactly what we do with our Sidekick.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Mid 90's through 2003 I raced a 16ft sailboat, which case our camping was regatta related we packed over flow gear in the boat. 2004 -2012 we raced a 21ft racing boat, same deal overflow gear in the boat. Subarus did most of the towing.

2012 we stopped racing given two young kids killed our time budget sold the boat. First camping trip lacking a boat. I was actually loading up and realized.. ohhh shhh-t!!! We ended taking two cars.. Whoops. Ordered the Life Time Tent Trailer (original) the next week in 2012 blow out sale on costco $1800. Best $1800 spent on toys.

Bummer they changed the design to smaller beds and bigger price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier