Southern San Juan Playtime

TheThom

Adventurer
So, my awesome wife suggested I take a day and go camping. She really is awesome. I picked a spot on the map and off I went.

I went to an area about an hour from home. I had the pop up camper (see build thread in signature) and my Jeep. I was excited to go boondocking outside of campgrounds because with the family we generally stay in campground areas (for the wife's toilet use).

Please pardon the often grainy cell phone pics.

Always a good sign (pun intended).

I had honestly wondered why I keep an ax strapped to my camper

This is why

The pic is a bit of an illusion. The camper doesn't weigh on the rear suspension that much

On the road up to the campsite. Shortly after this I decided to set up camp because towing on that road with the Cherokee was not super fun.

I hiked down from the campsite to look for some trout.

I found some! Always photograph the first one because you never know if there will be more. The first day I caught a couple. The lower portion of the street was brush filled and hard to fish without getting my fly hung up.

Back at camp.

Cooking setup.

Huge steak and veggies (I did just burn 2900 calories hiking/fishing).

Lovely sugary beverage to finish the night.

Early the next morning I left camp and went further up the road to see what was there and see if I could get to the higher parts of the river. Fun road.

I found a trail and took it. Led through a huge aspen glade and then some mossy trees that reminded me of my time in the PNW.

View of the river from the trail.

Caught some fish in all of these little pools.

Small native brook trout and the occasional native cut throat. I caught dozen fish that morning. I'd much rather catch 12 small fish than 2 big ones.

Pretty river.

Seriously! So beautiful up there!

The drive back to pack up camp and head home in time for the little guy's soccer practice.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Sounds like the perfect little getaway. Good for you! Nice fishing....nice meals...nice scenery. Perfect! Thanks for sharing it.

A wildlife prof I had told us if we didn't want to eat the brookies we caught to just throw them in the bushes. Ha. He was a native cutthroat fanatic.

DVD

Adventurer
I have a couple fly rods in the garage from when I lived in Michigan. I've taken up other hobbies (inclu. offroad exploring) since moving to SW. I may have to respool the reels and add that element to an upcoming trip.
Great photos and great times.

RockTrout

Fly Fishing & Exploration
Nice post. I agree that I'll take a number of small fish any day over the lunkers. The San Juans are such a great place to explore. That being said, where is the snow? Yikes!

upndown

Adventurer
I have a couple fly rods in the garage from when I lived in Michigan. I've taken up other hobbies (inclu. offroad exploring) since moving to SW. I may have to respool the reels and add that element to an upcoming trip.
Great photos and great times.

Thanks for the report and pics Thom!

DVD, grab your poles and take a nice drive to so. Utah. I go a few times a year. Boulder and Beaver Mtn. Beautiful and great fishing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior