How reliable is the Gen 3 4WD system?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Have read about the solenoids and various sensors in the 4WD system acting up, but wondering how much of this is isolated, etc?

Have you guys seen many issues with your 4WD systems?

Thanks!

earljuic3

Adventurer
Had to replace 4wd sensors @ 100k, 150k on the truck no issues. Use 4wd heavily in summer at the beach and moderately in winter because of snow. Love being able to jockey in and out of 2wd / 4wd on the fly with this truck.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
It's a robust system that only requires average maintenance and upkeep. However, prolonged periods of NOT using it will likely result in frustration.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Just keep using it. I did some maintenance and repair to my 05 when I first bought it. Just needed a new actuator on the free-wheel clutch. I just got back from a trip with some Jeeps who kept saying I might have trouble on the trail, but it made everything look easy while the Jeeps struggled to find traction.

cnutco

Adventurer
I had to replace something up front on the passenger fender, but that was it. That was years ago and I give this thing hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-Terrain

No Road Required
What about the brake booster? Read that there may be an issue with them, and they are apparently difficult to get.. or something? Don't want to spread misinformation... is this a real problem?

Marutuk

KK6WFB
The only issue with the brakes I had was the accumulator acting up, it made a rather interesting 'quacking' noise. But I did replace that part, and that solved that sound issue. It had no real effect on the brakes from what I could tell.

ifixpc

Observer
At 160K 4wd had trouble disengaging in to 2wd. Flashing lights.
I just had to clean the vacuum solenoid with throttle body spray cleaner, shake it well, let it dry/evap and was the system started working again.

I really feel that the previous owner hasn't exercised the 4wd too often.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
What about the brake booster? Read that there may be an issue with them, and they are apparently difficult to get.. or something? Don't want to spread misinformation... is this a real problem?

This was a factory recall.
Post #10 is on the money.
It makes a quaking/chirping sound that seems to come from under the driver side dash.
When you hear the noise, change the BBA.
Hopefully you can get a dealer to replace it under the recall, otherwise it's not a cheap part.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
This was a factory recall.
Post #10 is on the money.
It makes a quaking/chirping sound that seems to come from under the driver side dash.
When you hear the noise, change the BBA.
Hopefully you can get a dealer to replace it under the recall, otherwise it's not a cheap part.

Was it a recall or just a TSB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz