Is This Safe? Installer Did a Surprise Body Mount Chop on 2012 4Runner

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Have it boxed in and call it a day. Thousands and thousands running with chopped body mounts, as common as snorkels on Tacoma's, 4Runners and FJC's. We do a couple a month, sometimes a couple a week. We DO box them afterwards for both aesthetic and long-term structural reasons.

BMC.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yes. And then they get you to sign the authorisation portion of the work order when you get there. Verbal authorization is basically just 'good faith'. You could refuse the repairs after and the shop would be required to undo it. It's a ******** move, but it would hold up. I am a licensed mechanic. I have worked at dealerships. I'm pretty familiar with the general rules about vehicle repair since, y'know it's part of my job. The shop also owns your vehicle until the bill is paid. It's called a mechanic's lein.

I'll say it again. Modifying the frame of a vehicle is not 'trimming' in any part of the rational world. You're picking and choosing what to respond to to try and deflate my argument, that's weak.

This was not trimming nor was it performed correctly. Were this my truck and they didn't expressly tell me they were modifying the frame as part of their 'trimming' I would be going after them. Especially since by not boxing it back in they have compromised the integrity of the mount.

Again, this was not done properly and does not fall under the scope of his consent unless they said they were 'trimming' the frame and he authorized it. That's not how his story reads.
Was I clear enough for you?

Wasn't trying to "deflate" your argument.

Verbal agreements for vehicle repair, as long as they are documented, what time, amount, who you spoke to and phone number you called are as solid as written in Ca.

How you explained it is how the dealership I worked for did it. Over the phone with time stamp on RO was all that was needed.

Guess in CA only verbal agreement are like written.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
It may be so elsewhere but unless they said they were cutting the frame and it would be irreparable, that is not 'trimming'

If it's boxed in its completely safe, yes. Our discussion is hardly relevant to that and really serves no purpose. I'm over it. Op sorry for derailing this.

DaVikes

Adventurer
As many have stated, if the mount is boxed in, it should be plenty strong and safe. However, chopping a body mount is a mod that devalues your truck somewhat. If you ever want to sell and return to stock, it's a pretty difficult mod to undo. A lot of people want nothing to do with a truck that has been modified. If a buyer has an inspection done, it will surely come up. My Tacoma has the body mount chopped, but I'm fine with it and it will never go back to stock, so it doesn't matter to me. It may also be a minor issue for you depending on your plans for the truck. But it is something to be aware of. The shop definitely did not properly inform you of the issues, and they definitely should have boxed it.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
As many have stated, if the mount is boxed in, it should be plenty strong and safe. However, chopping a body mount is a mod that devalues your truck somewhat. If you ever want to sell and return to stock, it's a pretty difficult mod to undo. A lot of people want nothing to do with a truck that has been modified. If a buyer has an inspection done, it will surely come up. My Tacoma has the body mount chopped, but I'm fine with it and it will never go back to stock, so it doesn't matter to me. It may also be a minor issue for you depending on your plans for the truck. But it is something to be aware of. The shop definitely did not properly inform you of the issues, and they definitely should have boxed it.

Sell to someone who actually knows about modifying toyotas. Don't sell to your everyday soccer dads. Problem solved. Wouldn't bring value down for me as its one less mod needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stifler

Observer
Id be willing to bet if he traded it in the dealership and new owner wont eve recognize it was done

thethePete

Explorer
If a mechanic does a safety on this and doesn't notice that he is incompetent or has never seen another Tacoma. It's pretty hard to not notice a stamped steel frame member, that has 4 other identical pieces on the frame, has been cut and plated. This devalues the truck if he wants to resell it. But so does offloading. Or driving it off the lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior