Trail tools picture thread...

taco_tay

Adventurer
I'll start. Just got some new tools for the rig.
06763675c514bd409a6155db06043ec2.jpg
31e10a4faa892cf494321563532b3f72.jpg
f2ee21020b0ca23aa12aa1f230aaf590.jpg

taco_tay

Adventurer
Yup harbor freight is my kind of budget right now. Your right I have a 5lb sledge I need to add.

taco_tay

Adventurer
Taco_Tay, great idea for a thread, and a great first post to it! You've got it locked down!

That is a fantastic plethora of tools. I do have a few questions -- and please, don't take these in a negative or critical way because I've already written down about 15 things from your kit that mine lacks!! (I'll try to get a picture soon, I'm in building-the-kit mode myself so I plan to subscribe to this thread and steal everyone's ideas :p)

1) I started writing "Electric Kit" but then I see you have some fuzes and tape. So I've deleted this point entirely, well done, So there goes question 1!

2) Do you see any value in a Breaker Bar? I see a ratchet, and an extension, but a breaker bar is handy. What would you use on a socket-sized bolt if your ratchet strips? Do you have another solution for this problem?

3) As for the extension -- super handy, but I'm curious why you chose one long one as opposed to multiple shorts? Are there practical benefits to one long one versus 4 or 5 short ones?

4) What about a spare chain and file for the saw? Do you think it's worthwhile, or do you treat the chainsaw as a 'Worst Case Scenario' tool you'd likely only need once or twice on a trip? I carry a Bow Saw which, while not as efficient as a chain saw for a large number of cuts, is pretty comparable to the power saw in terms of time/effort when you only need to fell one tree, or cut a log twice to drag it off the road. But it represents significant weight and space savings. Can you elaborate on your choice a bit?

Thanks again for starting this up. This is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for!

Thanks man!! I've been wanting to see a tread like this for a while, so I figured why not I'll start it.

Just to clarify I am no off-roading expert just getting into actually. Which explains all the harbor freight tools lol. No offense taken. I'm always looking for some advice and tips.

So to answer your questions.

1) I guess I already answered it lol

2) I actually do have a breaker bar and thank you for reminding me. It's in my tool box of my diesel. Need to put that in there tomorrow. I haven't thought about the ratchet straps breaking. Honestly I only have them in there for tying down gear but thinking about it, I have seen a bunch of people use them for trail repairs. Another need to add thanks!

3) As far as the long extension goes, long story short my girlfriend's old jeep Cherokee needed a sensor replaced that was a mile down in the engine compartment so I went and bought it specifically for that project. Although it has come in handy several times.

4) I am planning on getting a spare chain for the chain saw. I actually just bought that saw last week for $75 so haven't gotten around get getting a spare chain. The main purpose for the saw is cutting firewood for camping trips and the occasional downed tree on the trail.

Still lots of stuff on the list but happy with what I've got for a start. Can't wait to see your setup!

D

Deleted member 48574

*cough* here's my trail setup *cough cough*

0a2590048e4a53f3b0f38e5b21cfcfdb.jpg

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Quick responses:

2) Awesome, glad I'm not crazy for considering inclusion of a breaker bar -- even a stuck lug nut makes it worthwhile, I figure.

3) A tool you have and need is far better than a tool you need but lack!

4) Awesome, Glad to see the thought process there. I have a propane fire pit so I don't as often need to cut wood on a day to day basis (only in emergencies) but a chain saw makes total sense if you are in a region that has wood available for the campfires. Besides, the whisky just doesn't taste as good at the end of a long trail day without a fire :)

I'll try to get mine set up for display soon!

taco_tay

Adventurer
Hahaha I hear ya! Nothing like a fire at camp. Can't wait to see your set up man, I'm assuming it's not the $10,000 worth of snap-on tools you posted lol. A guy can wish!

anickode

Adventurer
Something you should never go without is a 5# (or bigger) CO2 fire extinguisher. If you've seen the aftermath of an engine fire that was extinguished with dry chemical, you'd know there's almost no recovering from that, even with a full strip down and rebuild in a shop. You just can't get rid of that stuff. CO2 will not make an unsalvageable mess, and might even give you a shot at still managing a trailside repair on stuff like wires, belts, and hoses. CO2 extinguishers cost several times more and are heavier than dry chemical, but repairs are a WHOLE lot cheaper following a CO2 extinguisher. They are available with aluminum cylinders, which does make them several pounds lighter than steel cylinder models.

anickode

Adventurer
Another note of fire extinguishers... if you do go with dry chem, make sure you take it out and turn it over and shake it up fairly often. Vibrations from driving will compact the powder into a useless block at the bottom of the tank. Even household ones will do this, but it happens faster in a vehicle. I used to do mine at every oil change back when I carried dry chem. Another advantage of CO2.

You might Also notice that CO2 is only rated B/C. I was told by the local fire extinguisher service company that they will extinguish solid fires fine, but the lack of an A rating is because if you were to blow it into a burning trash can for example, the CO2 comes out with such force that it could blow burning papers right out of the can and send them flying and cause a bigger problem. Made sense to me, since the icon for "A" rating is a burning trash can. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles